TREKWEB
Contact & Staff Info
OPINION POLLS
This week's episode of 'Voyager': REPENTANCE:
(A) Pure Star Trek!
(B) Better than last week or just plain good
(C) Disappointing yet again
(D) Not very good
(F) Absolute travesty; an embarrassment to Star Trek!
Current Results
PRODUCTS

Order the latest Star Trek books from Amazon.com to support this site!

Star Trek: Dark Passions Book One
Susan Wright
$6.29

Black Star is the UK's largest video store and offers free shipping worldwide! Buy your Star Trek DVDs and videos here!

Star Trek: First Contact - Anamorphic Widescreen DVD - Dolby Digital

www.BlackStar.co.uk - The UK's Biggest Video Store
Netscape Users: Version 6.x is recommended.

Copyright 1996-2000 Steve Krutzler and TrekWeb.COM. All Rights Reserved.
TrekWeb Interviews 'Star Trek Special' Comics Artist

Posted: 09:24:37 on October 30
By: Anonymous Coward
Dept: TrekWeb Features

Trekweb.COM brings you this exclusive interview with Steve Lieber, one of the artists for Wildstorm's upcoming 'Star Trek Special' comic one-shot, featuring tales with characters from all 4 Trek series.

Q: What can you tell us about your work on 'Wildstorm's Star Trek Special' ?

A : I illustrated a story called 'The Wake', a short story featuring Scotty, McCoy and Spock set just after the end of 'Star Trek Generations', so McCoy is over 140 years old. It was written by Jeffrey Lang, a wonderful writer with whom I've collaborated on stories for a number of other publishers. He wrote an extremely unusual story - it's almost an eulogy and I tried very hard to capture its wistful melancholy.

Q: Did you use and reference material from Paramount ? Like the actor's likeness and ship's exteriors ?

A: There aren't any ships exteriors - the story takes place entirely in one room. As I noted, it's an unusual story. My print reference came from my editor at Wildstorm. I used the movies, mostly, and I actually found the documentary 'Trekkies' to be quite helpful in nailing down the likenesses of James Doohan - his close-ups were on the screen a lot longer than you'll find in any Trek movie, so there was plenty of time to really study his face.

Q: Is this your first Star Trek work ?

A: Yes, though I certainly hope it won't be the last.

A: What's next for Steve Lieber ?

A: My next project is called "Morning Dragons'. It's an original graphic novel, written by Warren Ellis (Planetary, Spider-Man), that tells the story of a Viking incursion into Japan, set in the early 12th Century.It'll be black and white, around a hundred pages long, and drawn in something resembling the odd variety of techniques that I used in 'Whiteout'. 'Morning Dragons' will be published by Image in 2001. Thanks to Steve for this exclusive interview. 'Star Trek Special' will be published by Wildstorm in January 2001. For a look at Steve's art (including samples of his work on DC's 'Batman : Turning Point'), go to his official website at

http://www.unrewarding.com/steve

TREKWEB TALKBACK

Sort Controls:
Start New Thread | Help!

TOP STORIES
RECENT FEATURES
SEARCH

Stories Board
LINKS

MEDIA SITES

Cinescape
EON Magazine