TREKWEB
Contact & Staff Info
OPINION POLLS
This week's episode of 'Voyager': REPENTANCE:
(A) Pure Star Trek!
(B) Better than last week or just plain good
(C) Disappointing yet again
(D) Not very good
(F) Absolute travesty; an embarrassment to Star Trek!
Current Results
PRODUCTS

Order the latest Star Trek books from Amazon.com to support this site!

Star Trek: Dark Passions Book One
Susan Wright
$6.29

Black Star is the UK's largest video store and offers free shipping worldwide! Buy your Star Trek DVDs and videos here!

Star Trek: First Contact - Anamorphic Widescreen DVD - Dolby Digital

www.BlackStar.co.uk - The UK's Biggest Video Store
Netscape Users: Version 6.x is recommended.

Copyright 1996-2000 Steve Krutzler and TrekWeb.COM. All Rights Reserved.
TrekWeb Interviews 'Star Trek Special' Writer on 'Kirk', 'DS9' and 'Section 31'

Posted: 11:01:09 on November 01
By: Anonymous Coward
Dept: TrekWeb Features

After interviewing artist Steve Lieber, TrekWeb.COM brings you another exclusive interview, now with Jeff Lang, one of the writers on the upcoming 'Star Trek Special' one-shot comic book from Wildstorm, featuring tales with charactes from all four Trek series..

Q : What was your inspiration for 'The Wake' ?

A : The idea for 'The Wake' came out of my desire to see a little closure follwing Kirk's death in 'Star Trek Generations'. Don't misunderstand me : I think all the people who were involved with the movie did a fine job and I appreciate the budgetary and logistical constraints they were under. Still and all, I've always wanted to see how Kirk's old comrades and crew reacted when they found he was dead - both times.

Q : Have you ever read Shatner's Kirk novels, since their theme is similar to your story ? What do you think of bringing back Kirk in the books ?

A : No, I haven't read any of the Shatner books, though my editor at Pocket Books, Marco Palmieri, tells me they're quite good. As for what I think of bringing Kirk back ? Well, it's not a part of the continuity I work with, so I don't really have an opinion about it. I think he's a wonderful character and I would love to do something with him someday, especially the older, wiser Kirk. He wouldn't be quite the physical action hero, but that would mean he would have to fall back on the wily, crafty side of his character. I don't think that era of his life has been explored thoroughly and I'd like to do it someday.

Q : What's next for Jeff Lang ? Any new Trek writing projects ?

A : I'm currently finishing up 'Abyss', a DS9 novel co-written with former DS9 staff writer David Weddle. It's the third book in the post finale DS9 series and I'm really excited about getting to contribute something to the new milieu Marco Palmieri is constructing.

It's the fourth book in the 'Section 31' cycle and will be out , I believe, in July 2001. Right after that, I'm going to finish 'Immortal Coil', a TNG novel featuring my favorite Next Gen character, Data. After that, assuming something else doesn't surface, it's back to a non-Trek novel I started a couple years ago. We thank Jeff for his time. Look out for 'Star Trek Special', coming January 2001.

TREKWEB TALKBACK

Sort Controls:
Start New Thread | Help!

TOP STORIES
RECENT FEATURES
SEARCH

Stories Board
LINKS

MEDIA SITES

Cinescape
EON Magazine
Sci-Fi Channel