Scriptwriting
Bookstore
Headlines Archive
Features Archive
TREKWEB
Contact & Staff Info
PRODUCTS

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Give Learn More

Download these Star Trek ebooks instantly!

Star Trek S.C.E. #4

Order the latest Star Trek books from Amazon.com to support this site!

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Avatar (Book One)
S. D. Perry
$6.29

Black Star is the UK's largest video store and offers free shipping worldwide! Buy your Star Trek DVDs and videos here!

Star Trek: First Contact - Anamorphic Widescreen DVD - Dolby Digital

www.BlackStar.co.uk - The UK's Biggest Video Store
Netscape Users: Version 6.x is recommended.

Copyright 1996-2001 Steve Krutzler and TrekWeb.COM. All Rights Reserved.
'Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan' : Remembering the 'Extended Version'

Posted: 04:42:02 on January 06
By: GustavoLeao
Dept: TrekWeb Features

Almost 20 years after its original theatrical release, 'Star Trek II The Wrath of Khan' is still widely considered the best of the Trek movie series by many fans and critics.

When ABC aired the movie in the mid-80s, excised footage which explained Mr. Scott's relationship with midshipman Peter Preston (Ike Eisenmann) and the events of Khan's trial in 'Space Seed' were re-inserted by director Nicholas Meyer himself, along with several other small scenes and character-driven moments.

"I put that together" Meyer told Cinefantastique Magazine in 1992. "It's ironic as a director of a feature I may not have final cut, but as a director of the television version, no one cares. Places were I was overruled, rightly or wrongly, I get to have the last word. It's very dangerous just to put things back for the sake of putting them back. I am not persuaded that artists are the best judges of their own work."

What follows is a complete transcript of the extra portion of dialogues and scenes that were re-inserted in the 'Extended Version' of Star Trek II :

1- KOBAYASHI MARU

SAAVIK : Data on Kobayashi Maru.

COMPUTER : Subject vessel is third class neutronic fuel carrier. Crew of 81, 300 passengers. Registrantion Amber Tau Ceti 4

SAAVIK : Damn.

2- KIRK'S APARTMENT

McCOY : Now you open this one.

KIRK : I'm almost afraid to. What is it ? Klingon aphrodisiacs ?

McCOY : No, more antiques for your collection.

KIRK : Well, Bones, this is charming.

McCOY : They're four hundred years old. You don't find many with the lenses still intact.

KIRK : What is it ?

McCOY : They're for your eyes. For most patients your age, I generally administer [instead of "recommend"] Retinax V.

KIRK : I'm allergic to Retinax.

McCOY : Exactly. Cheers.

KIRK : Cheers.

3 - ENTERPRISE ENGINE ROOM INSPECTION

(In addition to the extra footage, the footage at the end of this scene is a different cut than that seen in the original theatrical release of the movie.)

PRESTON : I believe you'll find everything ship-shape, Admiral.

KIRK : Oh, do you ? Dou you have any idea, Midshipman Preston, how many times I've had to listen to Mr. Scott on the comm, telling me his troubles ? Do you have any idea the ribbing I've had to endure in the officers's mess to the effect that the Enterprise is flying in a death trap ?

PRESTON : Oh, no, sir. This is the finest engine room in the whole Starfleet. If the Admiral can't see the facts for himself, then with all due respect, he's as blind as a Tiberian bat.

SCOTTY : Heh hmm !

PRESTON : Sir !

KIRK : Midshipman, you're a tiger.

SCOTTY : My sister's youngest, Admiral. Crazy to get in space.

KIRK : Every young man's fancy. I remember it myself. Well, Mr. Scott, are your engines capable of handling a minor training cruise ?

SCOTTY : Give the world, Admiral.

KIRK : Mr. Scotty, the word is given.

SCOTTY : Aye, sir.

McCOY : But, Admiral, how' bout [instead of "what about"] the rest of the inspection ?

KIRK : Later.

4 - TRANSMISSION FROM RELIANT TO REGULA ONE

CAROL : Commander Chekov, this is completely irregular. Who gave the order ?

CHEKOV : The order comes from Starfleet Command, Doctor Marcus. Direct from the general staff.

CAROL'S ASSISTANT : The civilian...

CAROL : Shh.....Genesis is a civilian project under my control.

CHEKOV : I have my orders.

5 - KIRK AND SAAVIK IN THE TURBOLIFT

(The scene of in the turbolift with Kirk and Saavik discussing the Kobayashi Maru is different footage of the same scene in the 'Extended Version'. The dialogue is articulated differently.)

6 - SPACELAB REGULA ONE

(In addition to the extra footage in the end of the scene, the footage at the beginning is different from the cut used in the original theatrical version.)

CAROL : Starfleet has kept the peace for a hundred years. I cannot and will not subscribe to you interpretation of this event.

JEDDA : You may be right, Doctor, but what about Reliant ? She's on her way.

CAROL : Well....get your gear together where it's handy.

CAROL'S ASSISTANT : And where are we going ?

CAROL : That's for us to know, and Reliant to find out.

7 - GENESIS DISCUSSION IN KIRK'S QUARTERS

McCOY : Not anymore. Now we can do both at the same time. According to myth, the Earth was created in six days. Now watch out ! Here comes Genesis. We'll do it for you in six minutes !

SPOCK : I do not dispute that in the wrong hands...

McCOY : In the wrong hands ? Would you mind telling me who's the right hands, my logical friend. Are you by any chances in favor of these experiments ?

KIRK : Gentleman, gentleman, this isn't...

SPOCK : Really, Doctor McCoy, you must learn to govern your passions. They will be your undoing.

8 - ENTERPRISE SICKBAY

(In the theatrical version, there is a minor rearrangement of dialogue.)

PRESTON : Is the word given, Admiral ?

KIRK : The word is given. Warp speed.

PRESTON : Aye...

SCOTTY : Oh, why !

KIRK : He wants to kill me for passing sentence on him fifteen years ago, and he doesn't care who stands between him and his vengeance.

McCOY : I am sorry, Scotty.

SPOCK (on itercom) : Admiral, this is Spock.

KIRK : Yes, Spock.

SPOCK (on intercom) : Engine room reports auxiliary power restored. We can proceed at impulse power.

KIRK : Best speed to Regula One. Kirk out. Scotty...I have to ask. Is there any chance of getting the mains back online ?

SCOTTY : I do not think so, sir. but you'll have my best. Thanks, I know you tried, Doctor. (Scotty leaves Sickbay)

KIRK : You alright ?

McCOY : I don't know. Doctors lose patients sometimes. Dammit, I'm still in the dark. How he knew about Genesis ?

KIRK : I don't know, but what's important right now is to prevent him from getting his hands on it. You said yourself. It's a bamg that could rearrange the universe.

McCOY : There still may be time. You gave as good as you got.

KIRK : We're alive only because I knew something about these ships that he didn't.

9- TURBOSHAFT

SPOCK : They are inoperative below C-Deck.

KIRK : What is working around here ?

SPOCK : Not much, Admiral. We have partial main power.

KIRK : That's it ?

SPOCK : Best we could do in two hours.

KIRK : That young man is my son.

SPOCK : Fascinanting.

10 - ENTERPRISE BRIDGE UPON APPROACH TO MUTARA NEBULA

KIRK : They just don't want us to going in there.

SAAVIK : Admiral, what happens if the Reliant fails to follow us into the nebula ?

SPOCK : I think we can guarantee that she will follow us, Lieutenant. Remind me to explain to you the concept of human ego.

KIRK : Best speed, Scotty.

SPOCK : One minute to nebula perimeter.

Although Meyer later also re-cut a 'Special Home Video Version' of 1991's 'Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country', which is available on VHS and DVD (with 5 minutes of extra footage, including scenes with a pre-DS9 Rene Auberjonois as 'Colonel West', a character which was cut from the theatrical release), the 'Extended Version' of Star Trek II was never released on tape or DVD. With the 20th Anniversary of the movie coming up next year, let's hope Paramount releases this rare version of Star Trek II on DVD, following Robert Wise's 'Star Trek: The Motion Picture : The Director's Edition' DVD'.

TREKWEB TALKBACK

Sort Controls:
Start New Thread | Help!

TOP STORIES

Apr 06 - 'X-Men 2' Premise Revealed ?

(6 comments)

Apr 06 - UPN Promotional Poster from 'Q2'

(2 comments)
RECENT FEATURES
OPINION POLLS
Rumors are flying fast and furious about the next Star Trek series, and with news that TV Guide may have acquired an independent copy of the now-infamous casting sheet, all signs seem to point to a PREQUEL concept: what are YOUR thoughts?
I hope that this buzz is accurate because I feel a pre-TOS series is the best direction for Star Trek
I hope that this buzz is inaccurate because I feel a pre-TOS series is the wrong direction for Star Trek; I prefer a 29th century time travel concept
I hope that this buzz is inaccurate because I feel a pre-TOS series is the wrong direction for Star Trek; I prefer a post-24th century concept
I hope that this buzz is inaccurate because I feel a pre-TOS series is the wrong direction for Star Trek; I prefer another 24th century concept
If Rick Berman and Brannon Braga were not the creators, I would have more faith in Paramount's ability to produce a pre-TOS series, and this would outweigh my preference for any of the alternatives listed here
I am willing to give a pre-TOS series a chance if it involves a villain from the future
If the next series takes place pre-TOS, I will never watch it and believe it will signal the death of Star Trek
Buzz notwithstanding, I firmly believe it is a smokescreen by Paramount to misinform fans and thus create even larger buzz sometime soon.
Current Results
SEARCH

Stories Board
LINKS

MEDIA SITES

Cinescape
EON Magazine
Sci-Fi Channel
Cyber Sci-Fi Network

OFFICIAL SITES

Fan Media
Star Trek Store