Scriptwriting
Bookstore
Headlines Archive
Features Archive
TREKWEB
Contact & Staff Info
PRODUCTS

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Give Learn More

TrekWeb's Star Trek Book Store has been freshly revamped and stocked with all the latest titles, so stop on in and help support TrekWeb!

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Maximum Warp (Book One)
Dave Galanter, Greg Brodeur
$6.99

Black Star is the UK's largest video store and offers free shipping worldwide!

www.BlackStar.co.uk - The UK's Biggest Video Store
Copyright 1996-2001 Steve Krutzler and TrekWeb.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Potential First Look At ENTERPRISE Design and Costume Art Revealed By Sketches (UPDATE 6/10: Clarification for Silliness)

Posted: 14:09:48 on June 05
By: Steve Krutzler
Dept: Enterprise

TrekWeb received the following sketches from sources claiming that they are early -- thus not necessarily final -- sketches of the S.S. Enterprise as well as of a Romulan, a Klingon, and Captain Archer. TrekWeb has attempted to confirm the validity of these images as best as possible but at this time they are only offered as another addition to the rumor mill.

This first image is purported by sources to be an early sketch of the S.S. Enterprise. Recent comments by designer John Eaves have revealed that the ship design will resemble the Akira class featured in 'First Contact'; inasmuch as that ship too does not include a secondary hull, the image to the right does fit this qualification. Other TrekWeb sources have suggested to us that this sketch does seem to mesh with information they've received, but have been unable to offer anything to confirm the design.

This next image (click for larger) is of Scott Bakula as 'Captain Archer' and the costume clearly resembles the NASA-type suits that UPN's Tom Nunan likened the ENTERPRISE uniforms to.

This next image (click for larger) is of a Klingon as they may appear in the new series. The forehead ridges appear, as has been established, and the costume does seem reminiscient of the older Klingon costumes referrenced in John Eaves' latest interview.

This final image (click for larger) is of a Romulan as they may appear in ENTERPRISE. The appearance of the Romulans in the series has yet to be confirmed, although it wouldn't be too difficult to imagine that they will. This sketch too resembles an earlier incarnation of the Romulan costumes.

Please keep in mind that at this point TrekWeb has not been able to confirm that these images are authentic. The artistic quality of the drawings appears professional and the absence of any artist signatures may be explained by our source, who indicated that some elements from the pictures had been removed.

Finally, if these images are indeed authentic, they are Copyright 2001 by Paramount Pictures and the exclusive trademarks thereof.

UPDATE 6/6: Someone has apparently posted the image of the S.S. Enterprise elsewhere and claimed it as their own personal sketch, thus taking this sketch out of the rumor mill quite possibly for good. Also, I apologize for the lateness of this update, but as I am currently in the Bahamas, I can only come online infrequently and for brief periods. Thanks to all the posters who contributed in the Talkback section to help make sense of these latest rumors for your fellow visitors.

UPDATE 6/10: For reasons I cannot possibly fathom, some individuals have cooked up a sort of "mythos" around this story and started a big cyberspace war between posters here and at TrekToday/TrekBBS. As silly as the very fact that I should have to post something like this is, I found the following passage composed by a long-time TrekWeb member to best resolve this issue and therefore I offer it as my "official stance" on this whole issue (even though I frankly find it appalling that I should have to address it and admit that I haven't even, nor will I ever, read all the posts with regard to this circumstance because I don't have the time for such pettiness):

"It seems these were in fact fan art images, created by 'I am Tosk' and posted elsewhere on TrekBBS, which we had no knowledge of before they were submitted in altered form to us. Somebody, perhaps wanting to play a prank on this site, removed the artist's watermarks and submitted these to us as official conceptual art. Because of Steve's circumstances, he was unable to do a thorough check (the only way to be sure they were truly fan art would be to read two particular topics on the TrekBBS where they were posted earlier), and posted them with a disclaimer. Unfortunately the discovery of the real artist via BBS discussions, which conflicts with our original story, has caused confusion. We're taking this opportunity to officially clarify the circumstances, and to officially recognize that these images are truly fan art. We're sorry for any confusion." -- Archangel

Beyond this, all I can say is I was duped; though the fact that this story was posted with clear notice that it was rumor should've been enough to not surprise anyone when they turned out to be bogus. The level of negativity being thrown around as a result is truly stunning and really speaks poorly of online fandom.

TREKWEB TALKBACK
(64 comments)

Sort Controls:
Start New Thread | Help!
Welcome back, Steve
By Grand Admiral Thrawn () at 12:56:08 on June 13
URL: | User Info
Finally, all of this could be put to rest. As a side-note, you should check out 'I am Tosk' colorized versions of these sketches, they are rather impressive.

[ Reply to This | Reply - Quote Original | Parent Comment ]

Golly, I'm humbled (nt)
By Archangel () at 01:49:04 on June 11
nt

---

"The weak and the cowardly have no place in shuffleboard."
--Phil Hartman ("Worf," SNL)

Let's take a breath here.
By Dr E. Vil () at 11:29:23 on June 07
Think we ALL need to take I AM TOSK's advice here & settle down & wait for Steve. I am sure that it will all be sorted out shortly.

In the meantime, I have been thinking that with all of this crap, backstabbing & self gratification going on, we are really no better than kindergarten kids arguing over who has the better action figure or baseball card collection.

For those of you who know or remember, this situation harks back to the early days of TNG fandom when most everyone on the internet were trying to one-up each other. It was no wonder that Paramount closed some of them down.

This is the 21st Century, not the Dark Ages. Some of us need to start to act like adults & not little boys trying to see how far they can piss up a wall.

I fully expect someone to come in now with some arguement about how I am wrong... Sure, but in doing so, aren't you just proving my point?

Think about it.

Dr E.Vil

Let's calm down.
By I Am Tosk () at 07:46:35 on June 07
I've been reading such a vast amount of posts about this matter. I kinda knew it wouldn't take much time till people would start bashing both trekweb and trektoday...

Let's try to calm down a bit. If anyone should be angry, that should be me. However, I look at it this way: Trekweb was SENT (It is more than unlikely they took the pictures themselves) altered versions of my drawings. They posted it without knowing it was actually fan art that had been posted in trektoday's fan art forum. So, when the people who had seen my drawings came across trekweb's post, they obviously didn't think it was right that my stuff had been taken and altered. However, going as far as blaming trekweb for stealing my pictures isn't the right thing. Right now, the real problem here isn't whether it was right from them to post these sketches or not - right now the issue is whether they will explain where these really came from or not. IF Steve is really on vacations, then it makes a lot of sense that he hasn't been able to get more into the problem. What does sound strange is how he claimed the enterprise picture was fake while the others could still be real. I know what i'm gonna do: I'll wait till Steve comes back, and hope he explains it all then.. If not, well... uncredited my drawings will be, but there's not much more I can do about it.

Please stop accusing each other, at least until Steve posts again/is back from his vacations.

-I Am Tosk

Wow, talk about hypocrisy!
By Praetorian Guard () at 21:37:42 on June 06
Let me say that I believe it to be rather sad that the webmasters of this site continue to perpetuate this lie. They are clearly fakes, however you (as in webmasters) continue to feign ignorance. I don't buy it for a second. No doubt, you are doing this only to garner more hits to your fledging site.

Sad really... But that's the way of things. The strong survive and the weak perish.

Bye bye... *evil grin*

Everyone else: When this site eventually falls through the void into has-been land, feel free to pay www.trektoday.com a visit. The number-one trek site out there... Up-to-date reports, the first to break the big news stories. Also, try www.trekBBS.com for the largest online community of trek fans.

We welcome you with open arms... :)
-StarMan

This "StarMan" fellow says he's a moderator over at the TrekBBS, and yet he comes over to TrekWeb to basically post flame bait. If someone went over there and posted this type of thing about TrekToday, I wonder how fast "StarMan" would have it deleted.

With Love from Trek Today to Steve
By EQUALIZER () at 20:27:45 on June 06
Steve check this out from Trek today. They do love you for sure;

Your attention please.

Hi, my name is StarMan and I moderate the Enterprise forum at the trek BBS. A week or two ago a poster by the name of I AM TOSK posted these very pictures in the Enterprise forum. I myself moved the thread (which WAS of course fan art) TO our trek art forum.

I can assure you, these pictures are merely fan art, and do not derive from any offical source.

The original pictures were complete with I AM TOSK's signature, However in these versions the sig. has been removed from the pictures, being replaced by trekweb's URL.

The original pictures, complete with signature and other elements that've been removed can be found here: link

Let me say that I believe it to be rather sad that the webmasters of this site continue to perpetuate this lie. They are clearly fakes, however you (as in webmasters) continue to feign ignorance. I don't buy it for a second. No doubt, you are doing this only to garner more hits to your fledging site.

Sad really... But that's the way of things. The strong survive and the weak perish.

Bye bye... *evil grin*

Everyone else: When this site eventually falls through the void into has-been land, feel free to pay www.trektoday.com a visit. The number-one trek site out there... Up-to-date reports, the first to break the big news stories. Also, try www.trekBBS.com for the largest online community of trek fans.

We welcome you with open arms... :)

ORIONS!!!
By Blok_Narpin (philly_guy_pa@yahoo.com.yahoo.com) at 13:22:27 on June 06
I just hope the Orions emerge as a major force on the new series. Except for one episode of the cartoon we've never even SEEN one before!!!

---

"We may be through with the Past, But the past ain't through with us."

"Magnolia"

yes
By Captain Archer (catho@hotmail.com) at 07:13:37 on June 06
I like the version of the Starfleet Uniform, but I am really glad that the ship is a fake!

O......kay...
By Benny () at 02:48:27 on June 06
Well, the number of responses speaks for itself...I think whoever accepted these refrigerator drawings must be younger than the person who drew them. How naive do you have to be? I'm sure you must have seen professional sketches for Star Trek amongst other shows before...if these were submitted by the show's designers they would have been laughed out of their careers. They would be living in the streets by now. Did you see that klingon?! Hehehe... :p Preposterous!

So...
By Archangel () at 01:52:09 on June 06
Does this news item get pulled or not?

---

"The weak and the cowardly have no place in shuffleboard."
--Phil Hartman ("Worf," SNL)

Disappointed
By HotStove () at 01:36:57 on June 06
I'm really disappointed in TrekWeb this time. I mean, LOOK at these sketches! The ship looks like something I drew up in 7th grade art class 20 years ago (no kidding), and with a 7th grader's level of quality. Even the costume designs are strictly fan-ish. I understand the need to be first in breaking Trek news, but come on...!

Fan art...
By sxottlan () at 00:13:54 on June 06
I see others have identified it, but I wanted to help verify it. I've seen this as fan art over on the Trek BBS on Trek Today. I really like the sketch of the Romulan, but don't care for the ship. There was another fan sketch of a ship that was a combination of a sea faring battleship and the Enterprise and was pretty slick. I wish that would be the new Enterprise.

What is this?? AICN?!?!
By GreginWA (gsaum@yahoo.com) at 22:48:12 on June 05
URL: http://gregsworld.8k.com/contents.html | User Info
HAHA! How funny that the website that mocks aintitcoolnews.com for posting every net rumor out there as fact, suddenly posts something so obviously NOT authentic news as the real mccoy. Granted, you have a nice little disclaimer saying that this might not be real, but really, are you THAT desparate to break news about Enterprise? Try a little harder next time...

OK
By Turd Ferguson () at 19:48:11 on June 05
If this is conceptual art, then where the hell is the art for the Suliban? I mean, there has to be SOME conceptual art somewhere, since they're in the FIRST FRIGGING EPISODE! And how come the Romulan in that pic looks like Alan Rickman from Galaxy Quest? Hopefully the Enterprise will look like the Akira-class, because that jalopy up there makes Voyager look like a Ferrari. Anywho, here's to hoping we're not in for seven years of pure hell.

--

"What's the difference between you and a mallard with a cold? One's a sick duck....I can't remember how it ends, but your mother's a whore."

-Sean Connery (Darrell Hammond, SNL)

I did these drawings.
By I Am Tosk () at 19:29:13 on June 05
This is one of the weirdest things that have happened to me in the net so far. The fact that there's someone out there watching, coming across my fan art, editing my watermarks out, and sending them to trekweb.com as a hoax, is more than just scary. I guess watermarks aren't good enough nowadays. The only picture where you can see how he/she edited out my name on these drawings is the romulan officer - on his skirt. You will see what i mean when you look at the original drawings below.

Anyways.. to conclude. These are nothing more than FAN MADE CREATIONS, in case anyone is still wondering. Repeat - FAN MADE CREATIONS. Heck, I hadn't even finished the Enterprise, and got it posted in the trekart forum at trektoday, just to get some thoughts on it, or comments... and this guy/gal still used my INCOMPLETE enterprise.

Trekweb - Yes, I can confirm these are mine and NOT the real deal. Let's hope nothing like this happens again. Anyways, here are the original drawings i made:

link

link

link

link

Well That's Embarassing
By Captain Pimp () at 19:07:27 on June 05
But I guess when you post anything that's going to happen.

Out

Also worth mentioning...
By Rat Boy () at 15:59:57 on June 05
...that these fakes don't jive with what John Eaves hinted about the design of the Enterprise and especially the Klingon uniforms from the interview posted yesterday. He implied that the Enterprise looked a little like the Akira class (also based on the spy reports of the Enterprise patch on the uniforms) and the Klingon's clothes looked more like the armor from DS9 rather than TOS.

This is by a guy called I AM TOSK
By DNCRyder () at 15:28:20 on June 05
If you guys to to www.trekweb.com this guy, I AM TOSK, did these FAN PICTURES a while back.

Y'know... you guys really need to check your sources more.

THIS IS FAN ART
By Grand Admiral Thrawn () at 15:15:58 on June 05
This is all nothing but a fan-boy art creation, check it out at link
On the birght side, my worst fears this enterprise sketch are more fool-hardy and unrelaized than anything else and I am not complaining

Do What?
By Partsking () at 15:01:03 on June 05
No freakin way somebody's gonna put "Enterprise" on that peice of crap of a starship.

FAKE!
By Praetorian Guard () at 14:55:57 on June 05
link

These are just fan sketches. Check the link above for details.

• RE: FAKE! by Spamagnet @ 5 Jun - 15:09:05 EDT
  • RE: FAKE! by FlamingoKing @ 5 Jun - 15:06:55 EDT
Capt. Archer sketch
By Sideshow Bob () at 14:51:14 on June 05
It's amazing what's conjured up when a Playmates ST action-figure designer gets his ass kicked to the curb...anyone check if there's a Big Mac certificate printed on the back?

Damn ugly ship
By Grand Admiral Thrawn () at 14:50:04 on June 05
I am crossing my fingers for this rumor to be false, though Trekweb has been quite accurate lately with series V info. I have never something more hideous ugly looking than this rumored image of Enterprise. As someone said below, 24th century fans would be quite appaled by the ship if this is the Enterprise and most probably turn away from enterprise in droves, but I am very hopeful this is just a RUMOR, please.

• Note to self by Grand Admiral Thrawn @ 5 Jun - 19:59:28 EDT
S.S. Enterprise
By Tom () at 14:39:17 on June 05
This sketch looks very similar to the S.S. Valiant (ship mentioned in TOS pilot "Where No Man Has Gone Before") as rendered in the Trek Encyclopaedia. Although I don't recall that the Valiant was warp driven, only impulse. Was S.S. Horizon from "A Piece of the Action" in the Encyclopaedia similar to the Valiant or was it rendered like a Daedalus class Vessel? I think the Horizon would be a ship contemporay with the S.S. Enterprise, which was a pre-prime directive vessel.

Tom...

These sketches...
By Afterimage () at 14:35:00 on June 05
...seem to fit in with everything we've heard so far about the series. The Enterprise sure looks weird, however. Interesting that the deflector dish is on top and are those laser cannons on the side?? Looks like some kind of swivel turret...I like that the Romulans were included in the character sketches. At this stage of the game itsh hard to say if these are real or not. "Fascinating", nonetheless.

- Afterimage...out.

Scotty: "N... C... C... 1... 7... 0... 1. No bloody A, B, C or D!"
Relics

looks good to me...
By Tad (tad1019@hotmail.com) at 14:34:31 on June 05
nice to see they are updating the look but yet sticking to what was established in TOS. i think the new ship, if these sketches are real, looks pretty cool.

---

helldamnfart - Bart Simpson

BOGUS!
By Rat Boy () at 14:34:20 on June 05
This stuff looks nothing like John Eaves' art, nor Doug Drexler, nor Robert Blackman. I've seen sketches from TNG, DS9, and VOY by those guys, and these fakes look like they weren't drawn by them.

I don't know......
By Serfer (serfer_@hotmail.com) at 14:33:43 on June 05
URL: http:// | User Info
There's a few things that make me suspicious. First, the Enterprise design doesn't look 100 years more advanced than the Phoenix from FC. Also there's the seal of the Federation on the hull even though the Federation isn't founded yet. Of course this in fact means nothing since the artist may have decided to put anything on the hull just for the sake of having something. Secondly, the Klingon is holding a bat-leths(or however you spell it), when Eaves stated in the interview that there wasn't a decision to include them or not. This could also fall under the same situation as the Federation seal. Thirdly, after flipping through pre-production sketches in the making of DS9 book and other similar books, the overall quality of these sketched seems rather amateur. It wouldn't surprise me if they're fan made.

---

Serfer

-------------------------------------
"What WAS the best thing before sliced bread?"
-Steven Wright

I like them..
By Kyle (kgavin@speakeasy.org) at 14:30:55 on June 05
They seem very appropriate.

Balence of Terror
By Aventure () at 14:30:28 on June 05
In Baleance of Terror (TOS) was it not stated that it was the first time anyone had ever actually seen a Romulan?

uh oh...
By sky () at 14:30:00 on June 05
.... That ship design looks pretty blocky and clunky! This is just the sort of thing that a lot of people on this board have feared! (though not me) If these sketches are the real thing, I think a lot of fans of the 24th century are gonna be peeved!

---

"GET A LIFE, will you people? I mean, for crying out loud, it's just a TV show! ... You've turned an enjoyable little job, that I did as a lark for a few years, into a COLOSSAL WASTE OF TIME!"

Well, umm, hmm.
By E2JORL (E2JORL@aol.com) at 14:24:53 on June 05
URL: http://www.startrektoptens.com | User Info
I dunno... Looks pretty "fannish" to me, Steve.

Bruce

---

Visit the Temple of Rohn'Mohr!
http://members.aol.com/E2JORL/RDM.html
The Amazing Home Page of the USS Fortyish!
http://members.aol.com/SloanKnox/index.html

TOP STORIES

Add TrekWeb Headlines To Your Site!

RECENT FEATURES
OPINION POLLS
ENTERPRISE has been revealed this week and we'd like to know how you would rate the show so far based on the new Enterprise NX-01, the interior set design, the new costumes, and any other info that you may already possess!
(A) Spectacular! The first looks offered this week reveal a series with immense potential and more excitement for Star Trek than I've felt since the days of TNG!
(B) Impressive, but cautiously so! What I've seen so far has promise and most of it is in the right direction, but I will restrain my jubilation for after the premiere!
(C) Uninteresting! The photos I've seen so far reveal a series that lacks serious originality in artistic design and I am open-minded yet skeptical of its potential!
(D) Horrifying! What we've been shown so far is unoriginal and unexciting, revealing a series unexcuseably violative of continuity and poorly developed; Paramount will be lucky if I tune in!
Current Results
SEARCH

Stories Board
LINKS

MEDIA SITES

Cinescape Magazine
Sci-Fi Channel
Cyber Sci-Fi Network
The Sci-Fi Files Radio Show

OFFICIAL SITES

Fan Media
Star Trek Store