"Oasis" (R)
8/14/02

TOS | TNG | DS9 | VOY
Current discussion topics at the STAR TREK BBS
Star Trek: New Voyages collection of short stories: "Mind Sifter", 2 replies
(Divine Treasury forum)

Star Trek novels, my story on how I got into them, 5 replies
(Divine Treasury forum)

Should we expect Enterprise to get better. or should we just give up?, 40 replies
(Suliban Helix forum)

Star Trek Character archetypes throughout all the series, 16 replies
(Shore Leave forum)

The possible layout for the rest of ENT including a movie, 29 replies
(Suliban Helix forum)

What should the next series be?, 10 replies
(Shore Leave forum)

Best Uniforms...?, 8 replies
(Shore Leave forum)

Go dark with a charecter, make Phlox have genocidal past!, 4 replies
(Suliban Helix forum)

novel and eBook excerpts online, 2 replies
(Divine Treasury forum)

LASERS not PHASE-CANNONS and PISTOLS in ENT!!!!, 3 replies
(The Shipyards forum)

TrekWeb Newsbits: Extra coverage your crave!

Aug 08 | Day two in Vegas with Koenig, Takei, Dawson, McNeill and various guest actors at StarTrek.com.

Aug 07 | Another new report on Day One of last weekend's Las Vegas "Real Deal" convention now at Trek Nation.

Aug 07 | ST2 and ST6 director Nicholas Meyer has penned the script for an upcoming TV movie based on New York mayor Rudy Giuliani according to StarTrek.com.

Aug 05 | Comics Continnum posted lots of X-MEN 2 stuff : Comic-Con panel film clip, a roundtable discussion with director Bryan Singer, an interview with Kelly Hu and the latest news here.

Aug 05 | TNG cast autographed NEMESIS one-sheet up for auction on eBay.

CURRENT MEDIA

STARDATES
Sep 3, 2002: TNG Season 4 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
Sep 18, 2002: ENTERPRISE season two begins on UPN with "Shockwave, Part II"
Oct 22, 2002: STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK Special Edition DVD hits U.S. streets
Nov 5, 2002: TNG Season 5 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
Dec 3, 2002: TNG Season 6 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
Dec 31, 2002: TNG Season 7 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
2002: Click here for full 2002 TREK DVD/VHS UK release dates
SPONSORS

TrekWeb's Star Trek Book Store has all the latest titles, so stop on in and help support TrekWeb!

Buy ST:TNG Season Three DVD set to Support TrekWeb!

Buy Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring to support TrekWeb!

Buy the NEMESIS one-sheet now to support TrekWeb!

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Give Learn More

Black Star is the UK's largest video store and offers free shipping worldwide!

www.BlackStar.co.uk - The UK's Biggest Video Store

Internet Explorer 5.5+ recommended for correct viewing.

Privacy Policy

Copyright 1996-2001 Steve Krutzler and TrekWeb.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Steve Perry Reviews "Strange New World": ENT Delivers with Strong Characterization and Re-invented Resolutions

Best bargain this side of the Gamma Quadrant!
Place an ad today!

Typhon Station is a very fastpaced PBeM RPG with skilled, experienced players and a warm sense of bonding and community. We play at the turn-of-the-century, 2400, and are located in the Typhon Expanses, bordering the Neutral Zone, proximate to the Romulan Empire, and near the Iconian Digs, and are on the first warning route of the original Borg Incursion.
We have three stations to post from, SB 185, USS Odyssey, and USS Wraith. They all have general and particular storylines and all interact. This game is not for the faint of heart! The writing is superb and comes hot and heavy. We have some open spots and also we will consider character suggestions. So, longtime RPGers and novices, check us out. See if you want to make Typhon Station your home away from home.

(0 comments | Add)

Come join a Star Trek PBeM adventure of a lifetime. Be a part of the crew and family that is the USS Wraith as we seek out new life and new civilizations.

(0 comments | Add)

Click
Posted: 07:22:20 on October 11 2001
By: Steve Krutzler
Dept: ENTERPRISE Reviews | www.stenterprise.com

Trek in Review
Written by Steve Perry, edited by Steve Krutzler

"Strange New World"

"Enterprise" continues to surpass expectations. At this rate, it might need a dud, so we won't be expecting too much too fast.

Perhaps the key is crafting straightforward, seemingly derivative plots; at the outset, an episode about crewmen having hallucinations on an idyllic planet seems hardly given to mindbending plots, and a rehash of "The Galileo Seven" given the tensions with the one Vulcan leading the mission seems inevitable.

When the episode turns out to be much better than this, of course we're all pleased. In this case, "Strange New World" was a tense and gripping hour that kept you guessing, even if you realized that of course they wouldn't kill the Vulcan or the Chief Engineer.

It was tense because the plot was fairly simple, free of technobabble and technobabble solutions. Indeed, the lack of technology was its strength. When shuttles and transporters don't work, you're left to fend for yourself. That gave the episode a sense of helplessness, a trapped feeling that made it compelling viewing. It was up to the crew to get out of it themselves, making their own decisions instead of relying on technological quick fixes.

My one quibble would be that they should have seen the storm coming. Or should they have? There's always... human error. Or alien error, as with Phlox. His apology scene was surprisingly touching, and subtly well acted. Gosh, someone making a mistake? Could it be? This show really does have potential.

Best of all, the story allowed us to see the "true" natures of T'Pol and Trip. I liked T'Pol's brief shows of emotion, and her return to Vulcan as she began to lose control. Trip in particular had a lot of good stuff to work with. The paranoia, connecting everyone else's visions together, came together seemlessly with his own prejudices. You could understand what he was thinking and why. That's good writing. T'Pol used real evidence to counter what he was thinking. Maybe this is an odd thought, but all to often, Trek episodes seem put together one act at a time, without reference to previous acts. Basic little things, like T'Pol pointing out that the original mission was not even suppose to have Trip or Mayweather made the episode *connect* better.

Of course, what we saw was their "real" nature, not their real nature. They don't act that way normally, but it did show latent prejudices. So, despite a built in reset button, it was interesting to watch, because it showed the deep resentment some humans have for Vulcans. My real quibble with this is that we really learned much but there was very little fallout. Trip had a Vulcan teacher, but then what? This is a good foundation for I hope much more. All in all, though, it made for good viewing.

Either way, we did learn quite a bit about Captain Archer. I find his command of the potentially disastrous situation to be extremely effective (and his line about hallucinagenic materials in college to be amusing...) It was quick thinking, but not too quick - I like how he paused to sort matters out, and used Hoshi's language skills effectively. I liked his attempt to remind Trip of his training. It seemed like real thinking on his feet - something that we don't get from Trek that often, since there's always a Geordi around to suggest "Why don't we try a nadion pulse..."

One note of concern on the characterization front: Ensign Mayweather. So far he has been played ethusiastically, but has not been given much to work with. In this episode, he spent much of it unconscious. His one good speech was a ghost story that almost worked - until it got to the end, about how even today Webb might be heard over subspace. A little too much. I like his line about how he considered home to be between two nacelles, but up to this point, the only info we have gotten from him is that he's a boomer. I'd hate for him to become Harry Kim.

All in all, a surprisingly good episode. The narrative and characterization was strong, so what else can you ask for? I have to confess, I was cynical about "Enterprise." But I am right now pleasantly, pleasantly surprised.

Some quick takes:

• What's with the scorpion? Last week a banana slug, now another Earth creature masquerading as an alien. It did give rise to a funny scene, though.
  • Anyone catch the origin of "M" in the M class planet?
  • It was terrific seeing everyone so *excited* to see this world. Porthos was so excited he had to, well, find the bushes, and fast.

Grade: 9.2

About the Authors

Steve Perry is not the former lead singer of Journey. He is, however, a long time fan of all Trek, yes, even Voyager. He is currently in law school.

O. Deus has been a TrekWeb visitor since the site's 1996 inception. Along with being an ardent poster, he is a freelance journalist based in New York City. Deus has written reviews for TrekWeb for over a year and shares the duties with Steve Perry.

TrekWeb Reviews

• "Shockwave" (Deus)
  • "Two Days and Two Nights"
  • "Fallen Hero" & "Desert Crossing" (Deus)
  • "Vox Sola" (Deus)
  • "Detained" (Deus)
  • "Oasis" (Krutzler)
  • "Acquisition" (Williams)
  • "Rogue Planet" (Deus)
  • "Fusion" (Deus)
  • "Shuttlepod One" (Deus)
  • "Shadows of P'Jem" (Deus)
  • "Sleeping Dogs" (Deus)
  • "Dear Doctor" (Deus)
  • "Silent Enemy" (Deus)
  • Mid-season 1 (Deus)
  • "Cold Front" (Krutzler)
  • "Fortunate Son" (Perry)
  • "Civilization" (Perry)
  • "Breaking The Ice" (Perry)
  • "The Andorian Incident" (Perry)
  • "The Andorian Incident" (Deus)
  • "Terra Nova" (Deus)
  • "Unexpected" (Perry)
  • "Unexpected" (Deus)
  • "Strange New World" (Perry)
  • "Fight or Flight" (Perry)

STENTERPRISE.com Mission Logs

Season Two (2002-2003)
    Prod #Title
    128 Shockwave, Part II
    127 Carbon Creek
    129 Minefield
    Season One (2001-2002)
  • TREKWEB TALKBACK
    (22 comments)

Sort Controls:
    Start New Thread | Help!

TOP STORIES

Add TrekWeb Headlines To Your Site!

RECENT FEATURES
    OPINION POLLS
    Which ENTERPRISE storyline are you MOST looking forward to in the coming season?
    Hints at the birth of the Federation via the Temporal Cold War arc
    The first encounter with the Romulans
    Vulcans visiting 1950s Earth in CARBON CREEK and featuring Jolene Blalock playing T'Pol's grandmother
    Malcolm Reed stuck outside the ship on a deep-space mine
    Significant episode(s) for Doctor Phlox
    Significant episode(s) for Travis Mayweather
    Archer living in sickbay to accompany his sick dog in comedic episode with Doctor Phlox
    Significant episode(s) beefing up Jonathan Archer
    Significant episode(s) for Hoshi Sato and/or Trip Tucker
    Current Results
    SEARCH

Stories Board
    LINKS

MEDIA SITES

Cinescape Magazine
    Sci-Fi Channel
    Cyber Sci-Fi Network
    The Sci-Fi Files Radio Show
    The Warp Zone Radio Show

OFFICIAL SITES

TheDeadZone.net
    WilliamShatner.com
    Star Trek: Communicator
    Star Trek Store
    Pocket Books
    StarTrek.com
    SETI@Home

FAN SITES

Assimilation Software (Open Source Star Trek Gaming)
    Trek5.com
    Star Trek in Sound & Vision
    Nanavision
    Section 31
    TrekToday
    Voyager's Delights
    Psi Phi
    MediaTrek.com
    The Great Link
    Optical Data Network
    SciFi Pulse
    strekonline.com