User Profile | Join Now! | Logout
Email
Password
AIR SCHEDULE
Next on Enterprise:
"Civilization" (R)
6/19/02

TOS | TNG | DS9 | VOY
TrekWeb Newsbits: Extra coverage your crave!

Jun 18 | Teleportation breakthrough likened to STAR TREK's "Beam me up, Scotty!" Read more at the official site.

Jun 17 | James Darren's official web site writes to inform fans that the DS9 guest star did not cancel his appearances at recent Boston and upcoming Chicago Slanted Fedora events; rather, the promoter made the cancellations.

Jun 17 | According to StarTrek.com, Russell Watson's ENTERPRISE theme song "Wherever My Heart Will Take Me" served as wake-up call for the Space Shuttle Endeavor astronauts Sunday morning.

Jun 15 | Jeri Ryan joins Ewan McGregor, Rene Zellweger and David Hyde Pierce in DOWN WITH LOVE, a film to be directed by Peyton Reed for Fox 2000 and Regency, according to IGN Film Force.

Jun 14 | William Shatner will host Sci-Fi Channel's FULL MOON FRIGHT NIGHT beginning July 20th @ 11p ET, consisting of 13 horror films from the archives of Charles Band's Full Moon Pictures; the TREK icon will re-enact moments from the films and chat with horror genre guests.

LIVE EVENTS
Check back soon!
CURRENT MEDIA

STARDATES
Jul 3, 2002: STAR TREK: NEMESIS trailer hits U.S. screens with MEN IN BLACK II
TNG Season 3 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
Aug 6, 2002: STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN Director's Edition DVD hits U.S. streets
Q3, 2002: UK ENTERPRISE premiere on Channel 4 (non-satellite customers)
Sep 3, 2002: TNG Season 4 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
Nov 5, 2002: TNG Season 5 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
Dec 3, 2002: TNG Season 6 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
Dec 31, 2002: TNG Season 7 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
2002: Click here for full 2002 TREK DVD/VHS UK release dates
SPONSORS

TrekWeb's Star Trek Book Store has all the latest titles, so stop on in and help support TrekWeb!

Enterprise (Score), Dennis McCarthy, Russell Watson
$14.99

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Give Learn More

Black Star is the UK's largest video store and offers free shipping worldwide!

www.BlackStar.co.uk - The UK's Biggest Video Store
Internet Explorer 5.5+ recommended for correct viewing.

Privacy Policy

Copyright © 1996-2002 Steve Krutzler and TrekWeb.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Brannon Braga Says 21/26 Ain't Bad and Talks Characters in Newest Interview

Best bargain this side of the Gamma Quadrant!
Your Ad Here for $5

JUNCTION POINT: NOT JUST ANOTHER PBeM RPG!
Junction Point is a freefloating space station that is located in that dark area between Gorn, Tholian, and Klingon space, within a whiff of the Romulan Empire. K7, as we call it, is adjacent to Sherman's Planet, where, just 76 years before, the tribble incident took place. We're set in the year 2380, after the Borg encounters and the Dominion War, at the very end of the ST-TV timelines. This is a very fastpaced game composed of a solid base of experienced and expert players, some of them professionally published in the SF-Fantasy genre. Our location is junction.the-fgn.org and we're always ready to welcome a few new players into our warm and friendly community. If our roster appears full at the positions that interest you, don't let that discourage you from joining. There's enough posting for duplications in Senior Officer positions and the imagination's the limit on civilian and other personnel. We're expecting to be around for a long time, so if you come, plan to stay! We can be reached by clicking Contact Administration or Joining the Game on our site.

(0 comments | Add)

DVDs! FREE Shipping! Star Trek: TNG Seasons 1, 2, & 3, $99.95. Enter to WIN Lord of the Rings. Thousands of titles, ALL catagories, $22.95 or less.
(0 comments | Add)

Click
Posted: 09:05:22 on May 04 2002
By: Steve Krutzler
Dept: Enterprise | www.stenterprise.com

In his latest interview, this time with Star Trek: The Magazine's June 2002 edition, co-creator/executive producer Brannon Braga reflects on the first season of his STAR TREK prequel and admits not all twenty-six episodes hit the high note.

"Out of 26 episodes I think we probably got 21 of them just right," he says. "'Broken Bow, 'Fight or Flight', 'Unexpected', 'The Andorian Incident', 'Dear Doctor' and 'Shuttlepod one' are standout shows; 'Detained' was a great Suliban episode and I really liked 'Fusion'. 'Terra Nova' had some great stuff in it, but wasn't a great show. And I personally feel 'Sleeping Dogs' could have been better. And 'Oasis', I felt just wasn't very inspired."

The exec says overall he thinks the first season has been successful. "I Feel pretty good. Predominantly the feedback has been great. There are episodes I wish could have been better, but then there are some shows we're very proud of."

He reveals that even with a large writing staff, he and co-executive producer Rick Berman have re-penned almost every script this year. ""I think we've struggled to get the right writing staff together. Star Trek is a hard enough show to write as is, and this show is a little different. Basically I, or Rick and I, have rewritten every episode, and it's been a lot of work," Braga explains.

Brannon also talks about how the various ENTERPRISE characters have unfolded throughout the season, noting that the Archer/Trip/T'Pol triumverate is deliberately modeled after Kirk/Spock/McCoy.

"We did it deliberately and we're very, very pleased with the way it's turned out. We definitely see them as the triumvirate, and we always keep that in mind whenever we come up with every story," he told the mag.

Anthony Montgomery's Travis Mayweather has been somewhat neglected as the season wore on, Braga concedes. "If there's one character that I think we could use a little more, it's Mayweather; every season, one character comes up a little short. You kind of get in a rhythm and then realize, 'Oh Shit, we need to pay more attention to Mayweather!'" "We decided it was time to get him in situations where he could do different things and not keep hitting the boomer note. I think we've definitely done that in the second half of the season."

Continuing, he says, "Trip is a great character, and Connor Trinner is playing him to perfection and beyond. And we love Reed; Dominic is great. Our only pitfall to avoid with Reed was making him a clichéd British character. The same goes with Trip - we didn't want to do southern clichés. We wanted to make them unique characters and not stereotypes."

"The danger of Phlox was making him a Neelix. But I see Phlox as an incredibly wise, open-minded character who embraces many different ideas from different cultures to apply to his practice," he says. "I think if anything he's more of a Guinan than he's a Neelix. We're thrilled with Phlox. I think John Billingsley is a superb actor, and 'Dear Doctor' was probably my favorite show of the year."

Linda Park's Hoshi Sato saw a minor change early-on in the season, when her "space-queasiness" was traded in pretty quickly after the premiere "Broken Bow." Of this decision Braga notes, "I think the only character that we made an adjustment to early on was Hoshi; we intended her to remain a little more neurotic for a longer period of time. But we realized that could get annoying very soon, so we decided to give Hoshi her space legs a little more quickly."

All the characters are grounded, in Braga's mind, by a desire to return a TOS-style of wonder and excitement to STAR TREK: "We wanted more sense of camaraderie and the awe of exploration; a feeling of true adventure. Those were the things that were offered us in the original series that perhaps got diluted a little in subsequent series."

For more, check out the June 2002 issue of Star Trek: The Magazine and thanks to TrekWeb's 'Cyrus' for sending in this excerpts.

Send this story to a friend:

See Also: STENTERPRISE.com Mission Logs

Season One (2001-2002)
Prod #Title
721 Broken Bow (pilot)
103 Fight or Flight
104 Strange New World
105 Unexpected
106 Terra Nova
107 The Andorian Incident
108 Breaking the Ice
109 Civilization
110 Fortunate Son
111 Cold Front
112 Silent Enemy
113 Dear Doctor
114 Shadows of P'jem
115 Sleeping Dogs
116 Shuttlepod One
117 Fusion
118 Rogue Planet
119 Acquisition
120 Oasis
121 Detained
122 Vox Sola
123 Fallen Hero
124 Desert Crossings
125 Two Days and Two Nights
126 Shockwave

TREKWEB TALKBACK
(20 comments)

Sort Controls:
Start New Thread | Help!

TOP STORIES

Jun 18 - Info on ANDROMEDA Region 2 DVDs

(5 comments)

Add TrekWeb Headlines To Your Site!

CURRENT FEATURES
OPINION POLLS
Which upcoming STAR TREK event are you most looking forward to?
The second season premiere of ENTERPRISE, wrapping up the cliffhanger SHOCKWAVE
The tenth feature film, STAR TREK: NEMESIS, on December 13th
The release of STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN on Director's Edition DVD
The remaining season releases of THE NEXT GENERATION DVD box sets
The first online 3D virtual STAR TREK convention ever, this August
Art Asylum's release of ENTERPRISE toys in August
Current Results
SEARCH

Stories Board
LINKS

MEDIA SITES

Cinescape Magazine
Sci-Fi Channel
Cyber Sci-Fi Network
The Sci-Fi Files Radio Show

OFFICIAL SITES

TheDeadZone.net
WilliamShatner.com
Star Trek: Communicator
Star Trek Store
Pocket Books
StarTrek.com

FAN SITES

Assimilation Software (Open Source Star Trek Gaming)
Trek5.com
Star Trek in Sound & Vision
Nanavision
Section 31
TrekToday
Voyager's Delights
Psi Phi
MediaTrek.com
The Great Link
Optical Data Network
SciFi Pulse
strekonline.com