Why does Trek always time-travel back to America?, 23 replies
(Shore Leave forum)

What Trek Film Titles Tell Us To Expect From Nemesis, 26 replies
(Shore Leave forum)

OK, I Admit It. I'm Pleasantly Surprised by The Dead Zone, 3 replies
(Shore Leave forum)

ATTN: To Any Trek Uniform Owners, 4 replies
(Divine Treasury forum)

TrekWeb Newsbits: Extra coverage your crave!

Jul 09 | Jack Donner (Romulan Sub-Commander Tal, "The Enterprise Incident") talks TREK and NEMESIS at Trek5.com.

Jul 09 | Catch STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT this Thursday on the ABC Network here in the U.S.

Jul 09 | STAR TREK was ranked favorite TV show growing up by 45% of male Baby Boomers surveyed in the the Varilux Boomer Watch survey; WILD WILD WEST was favored by 28% while women Boomers preferred AMERICAN BANDSTAND and THE TWILIGHT ZONE.

Jul 07 | UK terrestial television ENTERPRISE air schedule available at EnterpriseUK.tv. ENT premieres on Channel4 July 17th.

Jul 07 | The Canadian SPACE channel will air INSURRECTION today at 7:00 PM ET. The presentation might be accompanied by featurettes on NEMESIS.

CURRENT MEDIA

• Download the STAR TREK: NEMESIS teaser trailer from the film's official web site, nemesis.startrek.com.
  • STARDATES
    Jul 17, 2002: ENTERPRISE debuts on UK's broadcast Channel 4.
    Aug 6, 2002: STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN Director's Edition DVD hits U.S. streets
    Q3, 2002: UK ENTERPRISE premiere on Channel 4 (non-satellite customers)
    Sep 3, 2002: TNG Season 4 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
    Sep 18, 2002: ENTERPRISE season two begins on UPN with "Shockwave, Part II"
    Nov 5, 2002: TNG Season 5 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
    Dec 3, 2002: TNG Season 6 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
    Dec 31, 2002: TNG Season 7 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
    2002: Click here for full 2002 TREK DVD/VHS UK release dates
    SPONSORS

TrekWeb's Star Trek Book Store has all the latest titles, so stop on in and help support TrekWeb!

Pre-order ST2:TWOK Director's Edition NOW to support TrekWeb!

ST:TNG Season Three DVD set on sale now! Buy to Support TrekWeb!

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Give Learn More

Black Star is the UK's largest video store and offers free shipping worldwide!

www.BlackStar.co.uk - The UK's Biggest Video Store
    Internet Explorer 5.5+ recommended for correct viewing.

Privacy Policy

Netscape Users: Version 6.x is recommended.

Copyright 1996-2002 Steve Krutzler and TrekWeb.COM. All Rights Reserved.
    Hans Beimler Recalls Coming to DS9 and Mis-interpretations of the 'Quark' Role

Best bargain this side of the Gamma Quadrant!
    Place an ad today!
    Click
    Posted: 11:03:18 on June 15 2002
    By: Steve Krutzler
    Dept: Deep Space Nine

In the July issue of STAR TREK: THE MAGAZINE, former TNG and DS9 writer/producer Hans Beimler talks about how he came back to the TREK franchise with DS9 after working on such early TNG scripts as "Arsenal of Freedom," "Who Watches the Watchers" and "Allegiance."

"Basically we were broke," Beimler exclaims in reference to himself and then-writing partner Richard Manning. "We'd created and written a series and we'd had a lot of fun, but it hadn't been that big a success, so there wasn't much money coming in. I talked Ricky into doing an episode just to float us by until the next thing came along. They were already batting the 'Paradise' concept around. We took a pass at it and did a draft of the script, and then they made some changes to that. It was not an unpleasant experience; working with Ira [Behr] rarely is. At the end of the year, Ira asked us to join the staff, but Ricky did not really want to rejoin the Star Trek world, so ultimately we passed. Then we went on to do 'TekWar'," he recalled for the mag.

After Manning decided to persue feature work, Beimler says he called DS9 producer Ira Steven Behr, who offered him a staff job on DEEP SPACE NINE. But getting used to the "middle child" STAR TREK wasn't easy after working on TNG.

"It took me a while to catch the drift on DS9. At first, I thought it was going to be easier than it was. By the time I joined the staff it was clearly a different show; this was not TNG," he admits. "I had an idea what to expect though; Ira had warned me that this was not your father's Star Trek, Knowing him, I knew that, once he'd gotten his hands on things, they had probably changed radically. But I was surprised as to the extent of it. We had entered a complicated universe, with very complicated characters; Ira has a penchant for developing the kind of dark and mysterious characters that do things you don't really expect them to do. They were much more sophisticated characters than those on TNG, and I really got fond of them over the years."

His first script, "Sword of Kahless," presented problems that only a pairing with DS9 writer Rene Echevarria (now running the new ABC series MEDS for the fall season) could remedy.

"I did a pass on the script that was OK, but not great, and then Ira assigned Rene Echevarria to me so that we'd do a pass on it together. It was fun. I like writing with other people, and I enjoy the collaborative effort. The experience of doing that rewrite bonded Rene and me, and from then on we referred to one another as 'My brother in Kahless'. He helped me enormously to really understand what they were trying to do on a character level," Beimler says.

Eventually becoming Ira Behr's writing partner for the last two years of the show meant doing lots of Dominion War episodes and Ferengi episodes, which Beimler admits weren't always a success.

" think the funny Ferengi shows weren't very successful. We never really executed comedy well," he told the magazine. "I'm not sure where the responsibility for that lies. 'The Magnificent Ferengi' was as close to successful as we ever did, but there were some other things that should have been funnier. There are some that have very funny moments in them like 'The Little Green Men' but even then they never fulfilled the potential of the scripts. You might say that's just writers laughing at their own jokes, but I don't think it's true. I think the scripts really were much funnier that the shows. I can't quite tell you why."

He also reveals that supporting Ferengi characters -- like Max Grodenchik's 'Rom' -- got more screen time when comedy episodes came along because Armin Shimmerman had cemented an interpretation of the 'Quark' role that didn't mesh with some of the writers' own conception for how Quark should be characterized.

"To be honest, sometimes Armin's interpretation of Quark was a lot different than the way we saw the character. Rom was more the way we saw Ferengi, and it was funny. We all gravitated to this funny part of that character. Quark was the bigger star of the show, the more central role, but we all really liked the way Max [Grondenchik] played Rom."

To read more, check out the July issue of STAR TREK: THE MAGAZINE. Thanks to TrekWeb's 'Cyrus' for these excerpts.

React to this story below and then see what others are saying about this topic at the STAR TREK BBS.

Send this story to a friend:

TREKWEB TALKBACK
    (5 comments)

Sort Controls:
    Start New Thread | Help!

See what others are saying about this topic at the STAR TREK BBS.

TOP STORIES
    CURRENT FEATURES
    OPINION POLLS
    Which upcoming STAR TREK event are you most looking forward to?
    The second season premiere of ENTERPRISE, wrapping up the cliffhanger SHOCKWAVE
    The tenth feature film, STAR TREK: NEMESIS, on December 13th
    The release of STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN on Director's Edition DVD
    The remaining season releases of THE NEXT GENERATION DVD box sets
    The first online 3D virtual STAR TREK convention ever, this August
    Art Asylum's release of ENTERPRISE toys in August
    Current Results
    SEARCH

Stories Board
    LINKS

MEDIA SITES

Cinescape Magazine
    Sci-Fi Channel
    Cyber Sci-Fi Network
    The Sci-Fi Files Radio Show
    The Warp Zone Radio Show

OFFICIAL SITES

TheDeadZone.net
    WilliamShatner.com
    Star Trek: Communicator
    Star Trek Store
    Pocket Books
    StarTrek.com

FAN SITES

Assimilation Software (Open Source Star Trek Gaming)
    Trek5.com
    Star Trek in Sound & Vision
    Nanavision
    Section 31
    TrekToday
    Voyager's Delights
    Psi Phi
    MediaTrek.com
    The Great Link
    Optical Data Network
    SciFi Pulse
    strekonline.com