Did VOY make contact with Earth too early? ("Message in a Bottle"), 5 replies
(Shore Leave forum)

Shockwave 2: What could've been done different, 19 replies
(Suliban Helix forum)

ENT needs to develop its own backyard: Orion Pirates origins, 5 replies
(Suliban Helix forum)

What's your reason for bothering to watch recent trek?, 31 replies
(Shore Leave forum)

TrekWeb Newsbits: Extra coverage your crave!

Sep 26 | Jeri Ryan, Kim Cattral among TREK women to make TV Guide's 50 Sexiest Issue.

Sep 26 | "Klingon" now appears along with several other new entries in The Oxford English Dictionary, according to Yahoo. (Thanks to Lee Jamilkowski)

Sep 25 | The 1965 experimental film INCUBUS, starring William Shatner, will surface on Sun, 10/13 @ 1 AM ET on the Sci-Fi Channel; directed by OUTER LIMITS creator Leslie Stevens it is shot in the "unversal language" Esperanto developed by Dr. L. L. Zamenhof.

Sep 25 | Leonard Nimoy toured his "art gallery" styled home for the Los Angeles Times Sunday.

Sep 25 | Cinescape has given Art Asylum's ENTERPRISE TREK TEK set, including phase pistol, an "A-" in its toy review.

Sep 19 | Cinescape just posted a mixed review of SHOCKWAVE PART 2 here.

Sep 19 | Anthony Montgomery talks his acting career and being a part of the STAR TREK franchise at StarTrek.com.

Sep 18 | Learn about submitting your comments to air during TNN ST:TNG presentations on cable at SyFy Portal.

CURRENT MEDIA

• ENT "Minefield" UPN promo available at AllAboutStarTrek and Treknews.de.
  • STAR TREK NEMESIS theatrical trailer at MediaTrek.
  • ENT "Carbon Creek" UPN promo at MediaTrek.
  • STARDATES
    Oct 22, 2002: STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK Special Edition DVD hits U.S. streets
    Nov 5, 2002: TNG Season 5 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
    Dec 3, 2002: TNG Season 6 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
    Dec 13, 2002: STAR TREK: NEMESIS hits U.S. theaters
    Dec 31, 2002: TNG Season 7 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
    2002: Click here for full 2002 TREK DVD/VHS UK release dates
    SPONSORS

TrekWeb's Star Trek Book Store has all the latest titles, so stop on in and help support TrekWeb!

Buy ST:TNG Season Three DVD set to Support TrekWeb!

Buy the Newest DS9 Relaunch Novel, MISSION: GAMMA: TWILIGHT to support TrekWeb!

Buy the NEMESIS one-sheet now to support TrekWeb!

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Give Learn More

Black Star is the UK's largest video store and offers free shipping worldwide!

www.BlackStar.co.uk - The UK's Biggest Video Store

Internet Explorer 5.5+ recommended for correct viewing.

Privacy Policy

Netscape Users: Version 6.x is recommended.

Copyright 1996-2002 Steve Krutzler and TrekWeb.COM. All Rights Reserved.
    Patrick Stewart Was "Breath Away" from Turning Down NEMESIS, Talks Leaks
    Add TrekWeb Headlines To Your Web Site!

Best bargain this side of the Gamma Quadrant!
    Place an ad today!

Typhon Station is a very fastpaced PBeM RPG with skilled, experienced players and a warm sense of bonding and community. We play at the turn-of-the-century, 2400, and are located in the Typhon Expanses, bordering the Neutral Zone, proximate to the Romulan Empire, and near the Iconian Digs, and are on the first warning route of the original Borg Incursion.
    We have three stations to post from, SB 185, USS Odyssey, and USS Wraith. They all have general and particular storylines and all interact. This game is not for the faint of heart! The writing is superb and comes hot and heavy. We have some open spots and also we will consider character suggestions. So, longtime RPGers and novices, check us out. See if you want to make Typhon Station your home away from home.

(0 comments | Add)

Posted: 19:14:44 on June 29 2002
    By: Steve Krutzler
    Dept: Star Trek: Nemesis

In a new Q&A with British entertainment magazine Empire, STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION star Patrick Stewart reveals that intense contract negotiations with Paramount Pictures for the upcoming STAR TREK: NEMESIS almost had Jean-Luc Picard sitting this one out.

"I was a breath away from saying this is not worth the time. An absolute breath away," the actor says when asked about rumors of his uncompromising contract negotiations for the tenth STAR TREK feature. "They were negotiating so uncompromisingly that it had reached the point where humiliation was the only way of settling this and I wasn't prepared to do that. But luckily the nice thing for actors is that you don't actually have to walk into those rooms yourself, and you don't have to answer the phone when they call. It's a very curious place, Hollywood, in that in the space of the day, someone's attitude can shift from downright brutality to treating you as a member of the family."

The August 2002 (#158) issue of the magazine is on sale now in the UK and also confronts Stewart with the reality that many fans may have read the script for NEMESIS.

"That annoys the hell out of me," he says when the interviewer tells him he's just read the script on the Internet. "I don't know why people want to know what's going to happen. What satisfaction could you get out of that? I understand people wanting to know who's in it, who are the villains, but blow-by-blow accounts mystify me. On X-Men 2 I have a script with my name and code number printed across every page. It's a case of 'read your script and eat it'. Bryan [Singer] actually said, 'I don't think they'll let you see your script until the last day of filming.'"

The accomplished actor also reveals that had he know ST:TNG wasn't going to fail, he might have reevaluated his decision to join such a frenzy-generating franchise.

"Had I know it would be like this, I would never have done it. I had no idea what the contractual obligations were of being in a series. But everybody I talked to not the Star Trek people, but everybody else in Hollywood reassured me that there wasn't the remotest possibility of this series being successful, so there was no harm in making a bit of money fro a change. And getting a suntan.

But he's grateful for what STAR TREK has afforded him: "It has had a tremendously beneficial impact on my life and career."

Finally, Empire poses the following to Patrick: "Trekkies are geeks and nerds, and to be avoided. Discuss." To which he responds:

"That's not fair. Star Trek fans get a bad press. They're a very knowledgeable group of people. Although somebody approached me the other day and said, "I love everything you've done. I thought you were fantastic in Star Wars and most of all I loved you in the X-Files [laughs]."

Read more in the August issue of Empire and thanks to 'Antony' for these excerpts.

React to this story below and then see what others are saying about this topic at the STAR TREK BBS.

Join our monthly e-mail newsletter!

TREKWEB TALKBACK
    (6 comments)

Sort Controls:
    Start New Thread | Help!

See what others are saying about this topic at the STAR TREK BBS.

TOP STORIES

Add TrekWeb Headlines To Your Site!

CURRENT FEATURES
    OPINION POLLS
    How would you rate the latest ENT episode, CARBON CREEK, on a scale from 1 (bad) to 10 (excellent) in comparison to the best and the worst episodes of all previous Star Trek episodes?
    10: Excellent
    9: Great
    8: Very Good
    7: Good
    6: Solid
    5: Average
    4: Below Average
    3: Mediocre
    2: Poor
    1: Bad
    Current Results
    SEARCH

Stories Board
    LINKS

MEDIA SITES

Cinescape Magazine
    Sci-Fi Channel
    Cyber Sci-Fi Network
    The Sci-Fi Files Radio Show
    The Warp Zone Radio Show

OFFICIAL SITES

TheDeadZone.net
    WilliamShatner.com
    The Official Leonard Nimoy Fan Club
    Star Trek: Communicator
    Star Trek Store
    Pocket Books
    StarTrek.com
    SETI@Home

FAN SITES

Trek47.com
    Trekpulse
    Assimilation Software (Open Source Star Trek Gaming)
    Trek5.com
    Star Trek in Sound & Vision
    Nanavision
    Section 31
    TrekToday
    Voyager's Delights
    Psi Phi
    MediaTrek.com
    The Great Link
    Optical Data Network
    SciFi Pulse
    strekonline.com