Malcolm in the muddle, 3 replies
(Suliban Helix forum)

The cast is too big, 18 replies
(Suliban Helix forum)

TOS style music and scenic music in ENT?, 14 replies
(Suliban Helix forum)

Place your ST:N estimates here, 14 replies
(Romulan Senate forum)

Does the Size of the warp engines on a starship really make a difference, 4 replies
(The Shipyards forum)

TrekWeb Newsbits: Extra coverage your crave!

Aug 05 | Comics Continnum posted lots of X-MEN 2 stuff : Comic-Con panel film clip, a roundtable discussion with director Bryan Singer, an interview with Kelly Hu and the latest news here.

Aug 05 | TNG cast autographed NEMESIS one-sheet up for auction on eBay.

Aug 03 | Info on the Dutch release of STAR TRE II: THE WRATH OF KHAN - THE DIRECTOR'S EDITION DVD at DVDHome.nl.

Aug 03 | Former DS9 writer/producer Robert Hewitt Wolfe will pen at least one freelance story for Michael Piller's THE DEAD ZONE, according to a post his official web site.

Aug 02 | After three years, The Trekker Newsletter is shutting down. Read more from founder Benjamin Winn at the newsletter's web site.

CURRENT MEDIA

STARDATES
Aug 6, 2002: STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN Director's Edition DVD hits U.S. streets
Sep 3, 2002: TNG Season 4 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
Sep 18, 2002: ENTERPRISE season two begins on UPN with "Shockwave, Part II"
Oct 8, 2002: STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK Special Edition DVD hits U.S. streets
Nov 5, 2002: TNG Season 5 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
Dec 3, 2002: TNG Season 6 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
Dec 31, 2002: TNG Season 7 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
2002: Click here for full 2002 TREK DVD/VHS UK release dates
SPONSORS

TrekWeb's Star Trek Book Store has all the latest titles, so stop on in and help support TrekWeb!

Buy ST:TNG Season Three DVD set to Support TrekWeb!

Buy Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring to support TrekWeb!

Buy the NEMESIS one-sheet now to support TrekWeb!

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Give Learn More

Black Star is the UK's largest video store and offers free shipping worldwide!

www.BlackStar.co.uk - The UK's Biggest Video Store

Internet Explorer 5.5+ recommended for correct viewing.

Privacy Policy

Netscape Users: Version 6.x is recommended.

Copyright 1996-2002 Steve Krutzler and TrekWeb.COM. All Rights Reserved.
Bennett, Montalban and Scott Reflect on KHAN Twenty Years Later
Add TrekWeb Headlines To Your Web Site!

Best bargain this side of the Gamma Quadrant!
Place an ad today!

Typhon Station is a very fastpaced PBeM RPG with skilled, experienced players and a warm sense of bonding and community. We play at the turn-of-the-century, 2400, and are located in the Typhon Expanses, bordering the Neutral Zone, proximate to the Romulan Empire, and near the Iconian Digs, and are on the first warning route of the original Borg Incursion.
We have three stations to post from, SB 185, USS Odyssey, and USS Wraith. They all have general and particular storylines and all interact. This game is not for the faint of heart! The writing is superb and comes hot and heavy. We have some open spots and also we will consider character suggestions. So, longtime RPGers and novices, check us out. See if you want to make Typhon Station your home away from home.

(0 comments | Add)

Come join a Star Trek PBeM adventure of a lifetime. Be a part of the crew and family that is the USS Wraith as we seek out new life and new civilizations.

(0 comments | Add)

Click
Posted: 19:29:44 on July 11 2002
By: Steve Krutzler
Dept: General Star Trek

The latest issue of the Star Trek Communicator, on stands July 16th, features a retrospective article on STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN including comments from producer/writer Harve Bennet and stars Ricardo Montalban and Judson Scott.

Bennett recalls his first meeting with Paramount executives Michael Eisner, Jeffrey Katzenberg and Charlie Bluhdorn where they asked the newly-hired television producer what he thought of the successful but critically-lambasted STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE.

"I say, 'Well' -- gulp! 'I thought it was boring," Bennett recalls the risky decision to be honest with the suits. The opinion that TMP's "shaggy" lack of any central antagonist won him the job and he instantly set about viewing all 79 ORIGINAL SERIES episodes before settling on "Space Seed" to germinate second attempt at bringing STAR TREK to the big screen.

"Near the end of the episode there's a musing by Spock; he says 'I wonder if a hundred years from now, will we ever see his like again?'... I remember getting up, and I said, 'Alright guys, lights--that's it, that's what we're going to do'."

Ricardo Montalban recalls almost turning down reprising the 'Khan' role before, on a second reading of the script, he realized, "Even when I was not on screen, they were talking about me!"

He also says after six years on the television series FANTASY ISLAND he had doubts about his ability to give a distinct performance.

"I started articulating the dialogue, [and] I thought, 'My God, I sound like Mr. Roarke! Nobody's going to believe me after six years on FANTASY ISLAND!... I'm going to make a fool of myself here."

Eventually after several rewatchings of himself in "Space Seed," the actor found his inspiration. But the work of co-star Judson Scott didn't earn the actor on-screen credit due to a negotiating mistake by an assistant agent.

Scott says the film originally contained scenes explaining that his character -- Joachim -- was the child of Khan and McGivers.

"There were some long scenes cut where I'm sitting down at his feet and we're in the nebula, and he reminisced about my mother... it was too long and they needed to get back to the shooting."

For more of the extensive article, check out the latest issue of the Communicator on stands soon.

React to this story below and then see what others are saying about this topic at the STAR TREK BBS.

Send this story to a friend:

TREKWEB TALKBACK
(13 comments)

Sort Controls:
Start New Thread | Help!

See what others are saying about this topic at the STAR TREK BBS.

TOP STORIES

Add TrekWeb Headlines To Your Site!

CURRENT FEATURES
OPINION POLLS
Which ENTERPRISE storyline are you MOST looking forward to in the coming season?
Hints at the birth of the Federation via the Temporal Cold War arc
The first encounter with the Romulans
Vulcans visiting 1950s Earth in CARBON CREEK and featuring Jolene Blalock playing T'Pol's grandmother
Malcolm Reed stuck outside the ship on a deep-space mine
Significant episode(s) for Doctor Phlox
Significant episode(s) for Travis Mayweather
Archer living in sickbay to accompany his sick dog in comedic episode with Doctor Phlox
Significant episode(s) beefing up Jonathan Archer
Significant episode(s) for Hoshi Sato and/or Trip Tucker
Current Results
SEARCH

Stories Board
LINKS

MEDIA SITES

Cinescape Magazine
Sci-Fi Channel
Cyber Sci-Fi Network
The Sci-Fi Files Radio Show
The Warp Zone Radio Show

OFFICIAL SITES

TheDeadZone.net
WilliamShatner.com
Star Trek: Communicator
Star Trek Store
Pocket Books
StarTrek.com

FAN SITES

Assimilation Software (Open Source Star Trek Gaming)
Trek5.com
Star Trek in Sound & Vision
Nanavision
Section 31
TrekToday
Voyager's Delights
Psi Phi
MediaTrek.com
The Great Link
Optical Data Network
SciFi Pulse
strekonline.com