Postive or Constructive Idea for ENTEPRISE!!!, 7 replies
(Suliban Helix forum)

The Romulan Way, 4 replies
(Divine Treasury forum)

Is the Federation Communist?, 22 replies
(Shore Leave forum)

TNG's Conspiracy, 8 replies
(Shore Leave forum)

Are the Ferengi ever going to evolve into being something more than comic relief?, 7 replies
(Shore Leave forum)

Didn't B&B want to make Enterprise like a submarine in space?, 11 replies
(Suliban Helix forum)

Will Wheaton cut from Nemesis! The World Mourns - Day 2, 12 replies
(Shore Leave forum)

TrekWeb Newsbits: Extra coverage your crave!

Aug 21 | Join the official STAR TREK: NEMESIS e-mail newsletter by August 30th to qualify to win one of 25 free teaser posters from the movie.

Aug 21 | Fox will debut its Comic Con presentation of X-MEN 2 footage online today; the movie co-stars Patrick Stewart.

Aug 20 | Former DS9 actor Alexander Siddig talks about his upcoming projects at Scifi Pulse.

Aug 20 | The former 'Wesley Crusher', actor Wil Wheaton, will talk free speech and Internet parody on Tech TV's The Screensavers Thursday, 8/22. (Thanks to 'Soiduts')

Aug 20 | PsiPhi has added a new excerpt from the upcoming DS9 MISSION GAMMA, BOOK 3: CATHEDRAL novel.

Aug 20 | UPN will air five "Portraits of Courage" during the repeat presentation of ENT's "Broken Bow" on September 11th, according to Zap2it.

Aug 19 | The official STAR TREK web site has observed Gene Roddenberry's 81st birthday here.

Aug 19 | Hawaiian UPN affiliate K5 will switch to the WB September 5th, while the local Fox and CBS stations are expected to negotiate to carry UPN programming, according to the Honolulu Advertiser.

CURRENT MEDIA

• Vidiot has made available two new UPN ENT season two promos; they DO NOT, however, contain new footage.
  • STARDATES
    Sep 3, 2002: TNG Season 4 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
    Sep 7, 2002: Brazilian premiere of ENTERPRISE @ 9 PM on cable channel AXN
    Sep 18, 2002: ENTERPRISE season two begins on UPN with "Shockwave, Part II"
    Oct 22, 2002: STAR TREK III: THE SEARCH FOR SPOCK Special Edition DVD hits U.S. streets
    Nov 5, 2002: TNG Season 5 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
    Dec 3, 2002: TNG Season 6 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
    Dec 31, 2002: TNG Season 7 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
    2002: Click here for full 2002 TREK DVD/VHS UK release dates
    SPONSORS

TrekWeb's Star Trek Book Store has all the latest titles, so stop on in and help support TrekWeb!

Buy ST:TNG Season Three DVD set to Support TrekWeb!

Buy the Newest DS9 Relaunch Novel, MISSION: GAMMA: TWILIGHT to support TrekWeb!

Buy the NEMESIS one-sheet now to support TrekWeb!

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Give Learn More

Black Star is the UK's largest video store and offers free shipping worldwide!

www.BlackStar.co.uk - The UK's Biggest Video Store

Internet Explorer 5.5+ recommended for correct viewing.

Privacy Policy

Netscape Users: Version 6.x is recommended.

Copyright © 1996-2002 Steve Krutzler and TrekWeb.COM. All Rights Reserved.
    Interview: Dominic Keating Talks Romulan Episode "Minefield" and His Hopes for 'Malcolm Reed' in Season Two!

Best bargain this side of the Gamma Quadrant!
    Place an ad today!

Typhon Station is a very fastpaced PBeM RPG with skilled, experienced players and a warm sense of bonding and community. We play at the turn-of-the-century, 2400, and are located in the Typhon Expanses, bordering the Neutral Zone, proximate to the Romulan Empire, and near the Iconian Digs, and are on the first warning route of the original Borg Incursion.
    We have three stations to post from, SB 185, USS Odyssey, and USS Wraith. They all have general and particular storylines and all interact. This game is not for the faint of heart! The writing is superb and comes hot and heavy. We have some open spots and also we will consider character suggestions. So, longtime RPGers and novices, check us out. See if you want to make Typhon Station your home away from home.

(0 comments | Add)

Posted: 00:02:16 on July 22 2002
    By: Steve Krutzler
    Dept: TrekWeb Features

Written by Steve Krutzler

We’re waiting at the top of the Tampa Hilton Hotel when Dominic Keating spots the tape recorder in my breast pocket and realizes there’s no time like the present to begin our interview. As we step into the elevator and begin to descend, the disheveled look on the British actor’s face evaporates. We’re off running!

Just moments from facing hundreds of fans at the Florida Vulkon event, Keating is frenetic with excitement and eager to talk about his hopes for Malcolm Reed in the second season of ENTERPRISE.

”More of the same of season one, really,” he offers energetically. “Just enough work to keep me happy and busy and then just enough time off to go play golf and go to the beach.”

Dominic has spent the day watching golf and studying the script for episode three. Filming picks up Monday in Los Angeles after a third re-shoot of a difficult scene for the premiere: Linda Park’s topless arrival at Reed’s quarters. But with most screen time devoted to Jolene Blalock in episode two (“Carbon Creek”), Keating is keen for his alter ego to take center stage in an episode sure to generate some of the strongest reactions of the season.

”I’ve got a great episode coming up right now, episode three of the second season called ‘Minefield.’ I’m learning the lines like crazy at the moment -- I’m outside the ship and trying to defuse a mine,” he pauses for a second before shifting into a jocular tone. “And then it all goes wrong man! I don’t know if I’m coming back for episode four!”

The episode is penned by new co-producer John Shiban, formerly of THE X-FILES, and features Keating’s character prominently in ENTERPRISE’s highly-anticipated first encounter with a fan favorite: the Romulans.

”We’re shooting it right now,” he says as we reach the lobby. “It’s a great episode, it really bonds Captain Archer and Malcolm Reed, we have a lot of scenes together. It’s kind of ‘Shuttlepod One’ but with the captain outside rather [than trapped together with Reed]. I haven’t seen the sets, [but] it’s a great episode, you’re going to like it!”

The women behind the front desk have no idea what a Romulan is and Dominic later reveals he might not be so sure himself, telling the assembled fans “We meet the Romulans for the first time, and I have NO idea who they are!”

Weaving our way toward the convention area it’s as if we’re in our own minefield, but Dominic is focused. ENTERPRISE has a human touch that distinguishes it in his mind from some of the previous STAR TREK series or other mainstream sci-fi.

”I think, dare I say, we sort of trace the line of more conventional drama, although it’s in a science fiction setting. I think it’s become more about human frailty and the human condition than just pressing buttons and science fiction technology. If anything sets it apart, it’s that.”

It’s not surprising when, approaching hallways of fans anxious for his arrival, the actor says last season’s “Shuttlepod One” was his absolute favorite. “Without a doubt it was a joy,” he says briskly into the microphone over the rising cacophony. “I didn’t expect to do acting like that on a show like this. I don’t want to sound pejorative or anything but it was a joy and I can’t tell you what that week meant to me. I was exhausted, tired, thrilled and cold -- my god we were cold!”

The devoted ORIGINAL SERIES fan insists “Shuttlepod One” was at least as good as ER. Many would agree. The claustrophobic morality play pitting Keating’s fatalistic Reed against Connor Trinneer’s optimistic Trip has been cited by critics and viewers as a gem of the inaugural season.

As we walk the final corridor toward the stage, Keating says not much has changed about him personally – except the “money! What can I tell you,” he shouts with a chuckle. Greeting fans in the hallway is starting to become natural for the actor, who says he still gets nervous even after numerous conventions since the show premiered last year.

”I’ve grown to really really love [cons]. The first couple were a little frightening, I still get nervous about going on stage, I’m a little tight in the belly right now,” he admits as show time grows near. “You realize that they just love the show and want to love you and come with gratitude, really.”

Will ENTERPRISE really take-off this season? Keating is unabashedly enthusiastic in his final remarks for this exclusive interview. “I really think the show stands out, we have a great cast, terrific actors. If the scripts continue to be as honed as they have been then we’re fine.”

The tension is evident as he takes a drink of water. It’s clear he’ll summon all his energy to make sure every fan goes home satisfied. He staggers on stage amidst deafening applause and greets his public by singing the first few bars of the ENTERPRISE theme song and then softening them up by recalling his first thoughts about the role.

”I read the breakdown for Malcolm Reed: button-down proper Brit, bit shy around women. I thought, ‘well I’ve got to act THAT’!” The room explodes with approval and the ice is broken. Amazingly physical on stage, Keating expends ounce upon ounce of energy bouncing from side to side, delighting with impressions of Rick Berman, Brannon Braga, and casting director Ron Surma, who he jokingly suggests should lay off the cigarettes.

An audience member asks where he draws inspiration for the performance of the tough armory officer from. “When I was seventeen I was going to join the army -- I thought,” he recalls his time in the introductory training. “I come from an army background! Rick Berman loved that when I told him [drops into calm, nerdy voice to approximate his boss]: ‘see Brannon, I told you so.’”

Brannon isn't left out. Keating wasn’t exactly amused to hear rumors last year surrounding his character’s sexuality; he had just recently finished playing a bisexual ghost (!) for another production, and Braga was more than happy to make him sweat at the prospect.

”When the TV Guide came out with the launch I was lining up at the checkout and thought ‘oh look at that…Dominic Keating, British actor, will be joining the cast of ENTERPRISE… as the first gay character in STAR TREK!’”

The room erupts at the setup. After a moment, he continues. ”I rang up Brannon and said ‘what’s this about me being a homosexual?’ He says ‘It’s going to be wonderful Dominic. You’ll be outed in November; TV Guide wants to give you the cover, The Advocate wants to do a huge spread on you at Christmas. The publicity will be amazing!’”

The show runner’s sense of humor always seems to emit from a dark place, Keating jests, when prompted by the question of whether his favorite fruit is really pineapple.

”Of course, I hate pineapple,” he exclaims to thunderous applause. “I certainly wouldn’t pick it out of the fruit bowl. It was so odd that when I read that episode, sure enough I was like, ‘I can’t believe it’s pineapple!’ Brannon’s funny like that… how would he have known, other than the fact that he’s, you know… born of the devil!?”

Following the presentation, fans rolled out a pineapple surprise. Keating now had his cake—-and unwilling to disappoint—-he ate it too.

Special thanks to Vulkon Promoters. Don't miss their next LIVE sci-fi event featuring DS9's Avery Brooks in Orlando, FL this November.

© 2002 TrekWeb.com. All Rights Reserved.

React to this story below and then see what others are saying about this topic at the STAR TREK BBS.

TREKWEB TALKBACK
    (2 comments)

Sort Controls:
    Start New Thread | Help!

TOP STORIES
    CURRENT FEATURES
    OPINION POLLS
    Which ST film are you most looking forward to release on Special or Directors Edition DVD?
    Star Trek III: TSFS
    Star Trek IV: TVH
    Star Trek V: TFF
    Star Trek VI: TUC
    Star Trek: Generations
    Star Trek: First Contact
    Star Trek: Insurrection
    Current Results
    SEARCH

Stories Board
    LINKS

MEDIA SITES

Cinescape Magazine
    Sci-Fi Channel
    Cyber Sci-Fi Network
    The Sci-Fi Files Radio Show
    The Warp Zone Radio Show

OFFICIAL SITES

TheDeadZone.net
    WilliamShatner.com
    The Official Leonard Nimoy Fan Club
    Star Trek: Communicator
    Star Trek Store
    Pocket Books
    StarTrek.com
    SETI@Home

FAN SITES

Assimilation Software (Open Source Star Trek Gaming)
    Trek5.com
    Star Trek in Sound & Vision
    Nanavision
    Section 31
    TrekToday
    Voyager's Delights
    Psi Phi
    MediaTrek.com
    The Great Link
    Optical Data Network
    SciFi Pulse
    strekonline.com