Email
Password
AIR SCHEDULE
Next on Enterprise:
"Minefield" (R)
12/25/02

TOS | TNG | DS9 | VOY
Current discussion topics at the STAR TREK BBS
Could Bakula walk at the end of the 2nd season?
(Suliban Helix forum)

Music & More In "The Catwalk"
(Suliban Helix forum)

TrekWeb Newsbits: Extra coverage your crave!

Dec 20 | Former STAR TREK composer Ron Jones has some harsh things to say about Rick Berman and ENTERPRISE in a new interview at StarTrek Soundtracks.com.

Dec 18 | Patrick Stewart, Brent Spiner and Marina Sirtis defend STAR TREK fans and their reputation at the London premiere of NEMESIS.

Dec 18 | Region 2 STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE DVD artwork is available at DVD Answers.

Dec 17 | The domain name Section31.com is available for auction.

Dec 14 | Ask long-time STAR TREK illustrator Rick Sternbach your questions about NEMESIS and more at StarTrekUK.

Dec 13 | MSNBC analyzes STAR TREK technology with science consultant/writer Andre Bormanis. Thanks to 'Lee Jamilkowski' for the link.

Dec 10 | Cinescape reports that Sideshow Toy has won a new STAR TREK license and will produce Kirk and Spock 7" busts in early 2003.

Dec 08 | Digital Domain talks with Linux Journal about designing STAR TREK NEMESIS visual effects in the Linux operating system.

LIVE EVENTS
Andre Bormanis -- Story Editor, ENTERPRISE
TBA
Submit Questions Now!
CURRENT MEDIA

STARDATES
Dec 13, 2002: STAR TREK: NEMESIS hits U.S. and Canadian theatres
Dec 31, 2002: TNG Season 7 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
Jan 3, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS hits UK theaters
Jan 16, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS debuts in Germany and Australia
Feb 13, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS debuts in the Netherlands
Feb 14, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS debuts in Brazil
Feb 26, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS debuts in Hungary
Feb 25, 2003: ST: DS9 Season One DVD Set U.S. Release
Mar 4, 2003: STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME Collector's Edition DVD Arrives
Mar 21, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS debuts in Norway
Mar 26, 2003: STAR TREK NEMSIS debuts in Belgium and France
Mar 28, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS debuts in Sweden
PROMENADE

TrekWeb Merchants

Buy anything! Every purchase supports TrekWeb!

Amazon.co.uk
Amazon.ca
Amazon.de

Buy anything, support TrekWeb!

Buy anything, support TrekWeb!

Black Star is the UK's largest video store and offers free shipping worldwide!

www.BlackStar.co.uk - The UK's Biggest Video Store

Featured Merchandise

Order the NEMESIS soundtrack to support TrekWeb!
Pre-order the NEMESIS soundtrack to support TrekWeb!

Buy ST:TNG DVD sets to Support TrekWeb!

Buy TNG season sets from Best Buy to get the bonus CD!
Get bonus discs when you buy TNG Season 6/7 DVD sets from Best Buy to Support TrekWeb!

Buy the Newest DS9 Relaunch Noves to support TrekWeb!

Buy B5 the complete first season on DVD to help support TrekWeb!
Buy Babylon 5: The Complete First Season on DVD to Support TrekWeb!

Buy the NEMESIS one-sheet to support TrekWeb!

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Give Learn More

Internet Explorer 5.5+ recommended for correct viewing.

Privacy Policy

Netscape Users: Version 6.x+ is recommended.

Copyright © 1996-2002 Steve Krutzler and TrekWeb.com. All Rights Reserved.
Interview: Producer Rick Berman Candidly on NEMESIS, What Didn't Make the Cut and More!

Best bargain this side of the Gamma Quadrant!
Place an ad today!

Typhon Station is a very fastpaced PBeM RPG with skilled, experienced players and a warm sense of bonding and community. We play at the turn-of-the-century, 2400, and are located in the Typhon Expanses, bordering the Neutral Zone, proximate to the Romulan Empire, and near the Iconian Digs, and are on the first warning route of the original Borg Incursion.
We have three stations to post from, SB 185, USS Odyssey, and USS Wraith. They all have general and particular storylines and all interact. This game is not for the faint of heart! The writing is superb and comes hot and heavy. We have some open spots and also we will consider character suggestions. So, longtime RPGers and novices, check us out. See if you want to make Typhon Station your home away from home.

(0 comments | Add)

Buy new STAR TREK toys to support TrekWeb!
Posted: 17:54:11 on November 25 2002
By: Steve Krutzler
Dept: TrekWeb Features

Written by Steve Krutzler

This article contains spoilers for the conclusion of the film. For your convenience, this portion has been placed at the end and will only be visible when highlighted with your mouse.

Sitting high atop STAR TREK mountain is producer Rick Berman, who after making three NEXT GENERATION films with tested talent from within the franchise, says he was attracted to the latest big screen adventure by the infusion of new faces.

"Well, working with John Logan, whoís sort of an A-list writer and an incredibly fast writer was a great deal of fun and I think we started doing a terrific story," the executive told TrekWeb yesterday. "And working with Tom Hardy, who was a real question mark, he kind of came out of nowhere and we had no idea if he was going to make the right villain for us, which [ended up as] a very pleasant surprise. Also working with Stuart Baird, which was someone I didnít know. On the last three films I worked with someone who I was very close with."

While TNG star Patrick Stewart had previously been involved in the creative process for STAR TREK: INSURRECTION, this time around Brent Spiner took a crack at helping develop the story, thanks to screenwriter Logan.

"When Brent introduced me to John Logan and I discovered that he was a fanatical STAR TREK fan, he asked if it would be ok if Brent would be involved in the story process, which I was delighted with because Brentís a very close friend. So we brought him into the process and he spent not 100% of the time but a lot of time with John and myself while we were developing the story."

Rick Berman on locationRumor has run rampant online for months that enormous amounts of footage were excised from NEMESIS and Rick says Logan's script was just longer than anticipated. In fact, the final cut of the film comes in a little under two hours and significantly trims down the first act of the movie, including an introspective scene between Patrick Stewart and Brent Spiner early on.

"Stuartís already done for the DVD, which is a DVD that does not have any additional material, a narration track of the film," Berman told us. "John Loganís script, although on paper it seemed like the right length, turned out to be a lot longer. This certainly wasnít a question of a director doing something at a slow pace, the movie is anything but at a slow pace. But itís funny, on TV series, very often a 65 page script will end up being the right length and sometimes a 49 page script will end up being the right length. So when we got done with this film, the first cut of it was about forty minutes too long. So Stuart and I and with suggestions from the studio had to sit down and cut out forty minutes. Obviously there are some things youíre delighted to cut out and there are some things that are really painful to cut out. There were scenes in the first act of the film that we felt slowed the film down a little bit that didnít get to the story quick enough."

As close to the two hour mark as it is, why not just leave in a few extra moments?

"Because studios tend to like films no longer than two hours," he said outright. "I know there are a lot of films today that are longer than two hours but that seemed to be the length [that was desired]. In terms of pace of the film, our goal was not to cut forty minutes out of the movie. Our goal was to make the movie as good as possible and that involved the studioís opinion of the pacing of the film, Stuartís, and mine."

Many times deleted scenes are reinserted later in the editing process, but Berman says that was not the case here and the film is better for it.

The Argo vehicle on Kolarus III"I donít think there was anything that we took out that was put back," he said. "We took out things that were in places where we just literally took out frames. In the Kolarun car chase sequence it was incredibly wonderful, the very first cut, but we probably ended up taking two minutes and itís always painful to take action out, but we did take a lot of stuff out of the wedding scene. We also took a lot out of the end but when you have a movie thatís too long you unfortunately have to start whacking it down. In the case of the studio, Stuart and myself, in the long run we donít regret any of it because the picture seems to be paced in the right way for all of us."

Will we see these tomes of footage on a director's cut for DVD? Too early to tell.

"I donít know," Berman said. "Stuart and I both question whether we want to sit down and remix and rescore additional footage. Weíre both very pleased with the momentum and the length of this picture."

The script for NEMESIS was leaked on the Internet over a year ago and numerous reviews and even complete transcriptions have been perused by fans even before production got under way last November. For Berman, it's an unavoidably reality of filmmaking.

"Unfortunately, because there are so many fans-óin the true sense of the word fansó-of STAR TREK, we always get thinks leaked," he said. "Whether itís scripts or when we do pilots or when we do cliffhangers on the TV series everything always gets leaked and we just have to hope that it will end up being seen by a fraction of our audience, and it tends to be a fraction of our audience who are going to go see the picture anyway," he jokes. "But itís something that weíve always had to deal with from the beginning. People will say to me Ďwhy donít you number your scripts,í but what people will do if someone gets hold of a script [is] theyíll just sit down and type the whole thing into the Internet so thereís no way you can find out. When we cast outside roles the agents of the actors that come in end up getting scripts so thereís just hundreds of places where these scripts can end up getting out... I canít imagine it helping a film to have all that information leaked out but, again, I think that itís leaked out to a small number of people."

The third act of NEMESIS features an extensive action sequence and screenwriter Logan has said previously that he looked to WRATH OF KHAN as a model for an exciting, suspensful combat sequence.

The final showdown

"One of my favorite films was a movie called THE QUIET MAN [(1952)], which took place in Ireland," Berman explained. "Thereís a great sequence of a fight scene between Victor McLaglin and John Wayne, and they have this fist fight that lasts for fifteen minutes and all of a sudden the two guys are so exhausted they go into a pub and have a beer and then they start fighting again. So I think that works and I think John Logan [wrote it well]ó-you just canít have non-stop action, you need to break it up a little bit so I donít think that was that much of a risk."

The following section contains spoilers for the conclusion of the film, which while revealed some time ago may not be known to all readers. For this reason, you must highlight the area below to read this portion of the interview. Please exercise appropriate discretion when reading or posting comments.

"STAR TREK NEMESIS is a story about accepting change. It's a story of passages, of a family that we have known for many years fracturing and moving on their separate ways," Berman says. In fact, the end of the film features a big change.

"Separating the family was a premise that existed from the very beginning of the film," Berman said. "Obviously Dataís death was something that we discussed, something that Brent Spiner was very much for but the fact that we have our kind of 'dopey' Data that arrives in this film, the B4, and the fact that we know this character is slowly starting to develop into a more Data-like character, there is the possibilityĖ-if weíre going to use this cast again or even a partial amount of this cast againó-that the B4 version of Data will appear again and it just takes one subspace phone call to get Riker and Troi back. In the realm of STAR TREK, killing a character and bringing him back is almost a usual event."

But does that fact itself work against the dramatic conclusion to the picture?

"It all depends on how it happens," Berman considered. "In the case of Spock, Spock is killed and then he is sort of resurrected and the new character is Spock again. But in the case of Data, Data is dead, heís blown up, heís gone, and [despite] the fact that thereís another android that has had a certain amount of [Data's] memories implanted into him, the B4 is a different character and if he does come back in another movie he will continue to be a different character. And STAR TREK II was a long time ago."

After four movies and 600 episodes of STAR TREK, you might think Berman spends more of his time in that world than the real one.

"I have three kids and I try to leave work every day and get out of the STAR TREK world," he said. "My daughter, whoís twelve, watches nothing but the WB, all those great female kid-oriented shows and my two sons donít watch a lot of television."

But is STAR TREK a show Rick Berman would watch in his own free time?

"I donít know, thatís a question Iíve asked myself a lot and I donít know the answer. I was of an age that I was not a fan nor did I see many episodes of TOS. In fact the first STAR TREK movie that I saw was STAR TREK IV and I saw it in a screening room with Gene Roddenberry."

© 2002 TrekWeb.com. All Rights Reserved.

React to this story below and then see what others are saying about this topic at the STAR TREK BBS.

Join our monthly e-mail newsletter!

TREKWEB TALKBACK
(18 comments)

Sort Controls:
Start New Thread | Help!

TOP STORIES
CURRENT FEATURES
OPINION POLLS
How would you rate the latest ENT episode, THE CATWALK, on a scale from 1 (bad) to 10 (excellent) in comparison to the best and the worst episodes of all previous Star Trek episodes?
10: Excellent
9: Great
8: Very Good
7: Good
6: Solid
5: Average
4: Below Average
3: Mediocre
2: Poor
1: Bad
Current Results
SEARCH

Stories Board
LINKS

MEDIA SITES

Cinescape Magazine
Sci-Fi Channel
Cyber Sci-Fi Network
The Sci-Fi Files Radio Show
The Warp Zone Radio Show

OFFICIAL SITES

TheDeadZone.net
WilliamShatner.com
The Official Leonard Nimoy Fan Club
Star Trek: Communicator
Star Trek Store
Pocket Books
StarTrek.com
SETI@Home

FAN SITES

Trek47.com
Trekpulse
Assimilation Software (Open Source Star Trek Gaming)
Trek5.com
Star Trek in Sound & Vision
Nanavision
TrekToday
Voyager's Delights
Psi Phi
MediaTrek.com
The Great Link
Optical Data Network
SciFi Pulse
strekonline.com
The Trekker Newsletter