Star Trek: Voyager - The Way Things Ought to Have Been
(Shore Leave forum)

Now THIS is a Nemesis review...
(Romulan Senate forum)

UK Nemesis a hit!
(Romulan Senate forum)

Overexposed
(Shore Leave forum)

TrekWeb Newsbits: Extra coverage your crave!

Jan 05 | Palm Digital Media reports that the STAR TREK NEMESIS novelization was the #3 selling e-book in December 2002.

Jan 05 | Wigglefish has reviewed DS9: Rising Son and The Brave and the Bold, both 4/5 stars.

Jan 05 | The L.A. Times analyzes William Shatner's acting career.

Jan 04 | TREK novelist Peter David sounds off on the state of the franchise at his web site.

Jan 03 | Australia's TV1 will air a MAKING OF STAR TREK NEMESIS special on January 11th during its SCI-FI SECTOR @ 8p. (Thanks to 'Joe' for this)

Jan 03 | Cinescape has reviewed Pocket Books' THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD, giving it an A- in its full review.

Jan 02 | FilkJerk and BattlestarGalactica.com have ripped into Ronald D. Moore's BATTLESTAR GALACTICA script. (Thanks to 'Beth' for the tip)

Jan 01 | Dean Valentine, former UPN exec, has purchased a 49.9% stake in the Jim Henson Company with his investment group, according to Reuters.

LIVE EVENTS
Andre Bormanis -- Story Editor, ENTERPRISE
TBA
Submit Questions Now!
CURRENT MEDIA

• First photos from "Dawn" now online at StarTrek.com.
  • Photos and the UPN Promo for the upcoming episode 'VANISHING POINT' can be found at Star Trek.com and Mr Video.
  • UPN "Singularity" trailer available for download at AllAboutStarTrek.
  • UPN's "The Communicator" promo is available for download at AllAboutStarTrek and MediaTrek.
  • STARDATES
    Dec 31, 2002: TNG Season 7 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
    Jan 3, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS hits UK theaters
    Jan 16, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS debuts in Germany
    Feb 6, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS debuts in Australia
    Feb 13, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS debuts in the Netherlands
    Feb 14, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS debuts in Brazil
    Feb 26, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS debuts in Hungary
    Feb 25, 2003: ST: DS9 Season One DVD Set U.S. Release
    Mar 4, 2003: STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME Collector's Edition DVD Arrives
    Mar 21, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS debuts in Norway
    Mar 26, 2003: STAR TREK NEMSIS debuts in Belgium and France
    Mar 28, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS debuts in Sweden
    PROMENADE

TrekWeb Merchants

Buy anything! Every purchase supports TrekWeb!

Amazon.co.uk
    Amazon.ca
    Amazon.de

Buy anything, support TrekWeb!

Buy anything, support TrekWeb!

Black Star is the UK's largest video store and offers free shipping worldwide!

www.BlackStar.co.uk - The UK's Biggest Video Store

Featured Merchandise

Pre-order ST:DS9 Season One DVD Set
    Pre-order ST:DS9 Season One

ST:TNG Companion Revised Edition

NEMESIS Soundtrack
    NEMESIS Soundtrack

ST:TNG DVD Sets

Buy the NEMESIS one-sheet to support TrekWeb!

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Give Learn More

Internet Explorer 5.5+ recommended for correct viewing.

Privacy Policy

Netscape Users: Version 6.x is recommended.

Copyright 1996-2003 Steve Krutzler and TrekWeb.com. All Rights Reserved.
    "Vanishing Point Better Off Disappearing Into Thin Air, Says Deus

Best bargain this side of the Gamma Quadrant!
    Place an ad today!

Typhon Station is a very fastpaced PBeM RPG with skilled, experienced players and a warm sense of bonding and community. We play at the turn-of-the-century, 2400, and are located in the Typhon Expanses, bordering the Neutral Zone, proximate to the Romulan Empire, and near the Iconian Digs, and are on the first warning route of the original Borg Incursion.
    We have three stations to post from, SB 185, USS Odyssey, and USS Wraith. They all have general and particular storylines and all interact. This game is not for the faint of heart! The writing is superb and comes hot and heavy. We have some open spots and also we will consider character suggestions. So, longtime RPGers and novices, check us out. See if you want to make Typhon Station your home away from home.

(0 comments | Add)

StarTrek Universe.com - STU is an updated resource for Star Trek news, reviews and previews, and we're constantly looking for new members. Join us!
    (0 comments | Add)

Trek47.com- Your guide to Star Trek has episode guides, cast and character information, pictures, and more from all the Star Trek series and movies

(0 comments | Add)

Typhon Station is a very fastpaced PBeM RPG with skilled, experienced players and a warm sense of bonding and community. We play at the turn-of-the-century, 2400, and are located in the Typhon Expanses, bordering the Neutral Zone, proximate to the Romulan Empire, and near the Iconian Digs, and are on the first warning route of the original Borg Incursion.
    We have three stations to post from, SB 185, USS Odyssey, and USS Wraith. They all have general and particular storylines and all interact. This game is not for the faint of heart! The writing is superb and comes hot and heavy. We have some open spots and also we will consider character suggestions. So, longtime RPGers and novices, check us out. See if you want to make Typhon Station your home away from home.

(0 comments | Add)

Cut scenes? Read them all here!
    Don't miss a scene! Pre-order the STAR TREK NEMESIS novelization to support TrekWeb!

(0 comments | Add)

Buy new STAR TREK toys to support TrekWeb!
    Posted: 08:34:48 on November 28 2002
    By: Steve Krutzler
    Dept: ENTERPRISE Reviews | www.stenterprise.com

Reviews Ex Deus

Written by O. Deus, edited by Steve Krutzler

"Vanishing Point"

Summary: The entire episode turns out to be a hallucination in which Hoshi re-experiences a TNG plot that takes place in only two seconds. Unfortunately the actual experience of watching the episode takes much longer.

"Vanishing Point" starts with an interesting concept. A character who often feels overlooked and out of place really begins to become invisible. TNG had already carried out the reverse of that storyline in "Remember Me," in which Dr. Crusher believes that everyone around her is disappearing and they actually do begin vanishing. But it was still an interesting concept and had the potential for some amusing scenes and character development. About halfway through the episode "Vanishing Point" begins to strongly resemble "The Next Phase," another TNG episode in which characters are turned invisible through alien machinations that they have to expose by contacting the crew before the aliens blow up Enterprise, and in the last few minutes we go on to discover that the entire episode was a hallucination that took place in the last 2 seconds of her transport up from the planet. For those few optimists who might have been hoping that Hoshi's first transporter experience had displaced her in time and that she could now warn the crew about the alien threat, as in DS9's "Visionary" so that the actual events that had happened up until now would still matter, the entire episode turned out to be an hallucination.

It's not that I don't enjoy sitting through 40 minutes of an episode that turns out never to have happened or to matter in the least. I might have enjoyed it more if it had actually lasted for only two seconds, though. It might have been some sort of localized temporal distortion field operating in my area but the actual experience of watching it seemed to take at least twice as long as the episode's running time. Not since the dog days of the first season has Enterprise turned out such a drearily episode paced at about the same speed as paint drying on a wall. Or, rather, after forty minutes of watching the paint dry on the wall it is discovered to be a dream about paint drying on a wall that does not involve any actual paint or walls.

It's hard to say why the twist ending was added on. After an episode that consisted mostly of repetitive scenes of Hoshi believing that she might be losing her mind and the crew acting distant and cold towards her, the only life left in the episode came from the nightmarish atmosphere isolating Hoshi and forcing her to face the situation alone. With the twist ending, this last breath of life is sucked out into a vacuum and what's left is the revelation that "Vanishing Point" was simply a waste of time.

"Vanishing Point" only adds one more neurosis to Hoshi's catalog of neuroses, which after "Fight or Flight," "Sleeping Dogs" and "Shockwave II" is starting to look as if it might rival Barclay's. If the producers just find a way to addict Hoshi to holodecks, Barclay may have to be called back to defend his title. While "Fight or Flight" was a good episode, just as "Shuttlepod One" was a good episode, Enteprise's producers tend towards repetitive character development by trying to reproduce what worked before. So after "Shuttlepod One" developed Reed by thrusting him into close quarters in a life and death situation with a gregarious colleague as a way of getting him to open up, we had "Minefield," which did the same thing. After "Fight or Flight," we now have multiple episodes that try to develop Hoshi by giving her more neuroses and having her overcome them. When in fact some of the better pieces of character development for Hoshi have been subtler scenes like Hoshi teaching the colonists self-defense in "Marauders." Repetitive character development, after all, is not actually character development, it's just a character repeating the same pattern over and over again.

What few shards remain to be dragged from the wreckage of "Vanishing Point" include the expansion of Enterprise's sets, giving us the first view of the ship's gym. Like movie night, it's a reasonable enough addition in view of the fact that Enterprise has no holodeck and not that much shore leave. Though it does seem a bit cramped for an Enterprise sized crew. Bakula oddly enough does some of his best acting in weeks during Archer's condolence call notifying Hoshi's father of her death. It might have been good character development, if it had actually happened. The same probably can't be said for "Vanishing Point," but at least it might have been marginally watchable and moved the story one step forward instead of delivering the equivalent of the Dallas shower scene. Star Trek has often been accused of pushing the reset button, but "Vanishing Point" doesn't just push the reset button. It breaks it.

Next week: Enterprise will break the fourth wall as the actors will have a collective dream in which they're on a successful TV series.

About the Authors

O. Deus has been a TrekWeb visitor since the site's 1996 inception. Along with being an ardent poster, he is a freelance journalist based in New York City. Deus has written reviews and columns for TrekWeb for over two years.

Steve Perry is not the former lead singer of Journey. He is, however, a long time fan of all Trek, yes, even Voyager. He is currently in law school and contributes reviews when his busy schedule permits.

TrekWeb Reviews

• "The Catwalk"
  • "Precious Cargo"
  • "Vanishing Point"
  • "Singularity"
  • "The Communicator"
  • "The Seventh"
  • "Marauders"
  • "A Night In Sickbay"
  • "Dead Stop"
  • "Minefield"
  • "Carbon Creek"
  • "Shockwave, Part II"
  • Season One Re-cap (Deus)
  • "Shockwave" (Deus)
  • "Two Days and Two Nights"
  • "Fallen Hero" & "Desert Crossing" (Deus)
  • "Vox Sola" (Deus)
  • "Detained" (Deus)
  • "Oasis" (Krutzler)
  • "Acquisition" (Williams)
  • "Rogue Planet" (Deus)
  • "Fusion" (Deus)
  • "Shuttlepod One" (Deus)
  • "Shadows of P'Jem" (Deus)
  • "Sleeping Dogs" (Deus)
  • "Dear Doctor" (Deus)

STENTERPRISE.com Mission Logs

Season Two (2002-2003)
    Prod #Title Airdate
    128 Shockwave, Part II 9/18/02
    127 Carbon Creek9/25/02
    129 Minefield10/02/02
    131 Dead Stop10/09/02
    130 A Night In Sickbay10/16/02
    132 Marauders10/30/02
    133 The Seventh11/06/02
    134 The Communicator11/13/02
    135 Singularity11/20/02
    136 Vanishing Point11/27/02
    137 Precious Cargo12/11/02
    138 The Catwalk12/18/02
    139 Dawn1/08/03
    140 Stigma2/05/03
    141 Cease Fire2/12/03
    142 Crash Landing2/19/03
    143 Canamar3/??/03
    144 The Crossing3/??/03
    Season One (2001-2002)
  • TREKWEB TALKBACK
    (74 comments)

Sort Controls:
    Start New Thread | Help!
    Reviewer roundup updated
    By O. Deus (odeus@concentric.net) at 08:22:05 on December 05 2002
    URL: http://www.concentric.net/~odeus/ | User Info
    Well Trektoday has finally posted its reviewer roundup and here it is, for all those who have been complaining that I'm biased and that you need perspective from other reviewers.

6 out of 8 reviewers gave Vanishing Point negative reviews

link

Here are some highlights

"Was this, perhaps, the most pointless Trek episode EVER?" wrote monkee at monkee's place. "Although there have been similar 'reset button' episodes in which much of what we saw never happened, it's never been this blatant. In TNG's 'The Next Phase,' Ro and Geordi were actually there, and they did save the ship. In VOY's 'Year of Hell,' at least the events happened in an alternate timeline. In TNG's 'Eye of the Beholder,' Troi's hallucinations enabled her to solve a mystery. In 'Vanishing Point,' all we learn about Hoshi is that she's afraid of using the transporter (as anyone in their right mind would be, at this point), but that she's able to overcome her fear, something we already knew she could do. Except for the teaser and the closing scene, the entire episode involves a conflict that only happens in her head, involving aliens that don't even exist!"

"Gisele La Roche at Voyager's Delights thought the episode was fairly satisfactory, but could have been a lot better. "I think the story isn't all that bad but it would have been far more interesting to use someone who would have been less likely to be afraid of transporters. T'Pol, Archer or even Trip would have added a tad more suspense as we wouldn't have been so ready to believe they were freaking out, so to speak. [...] There was no interesting conflict here; nothing for the character or the viewer to really grapple with." In the complete analysis, the episode was awarded a C minus grade."

"'Vanishing Point' only scored 1 out of 5 from Matt D. at Trek5.com. "Currently, more harm than good is being done by Rick Berman and Brannon Braga and their controlling wish to write nearly half of Enterprise's stories," he said. "With every step forward John Shiban, Chris Black, Phyllis Strong and Michael Sussman take, Berman and Braga kneecap the series by rehashing plots from "high-concept" movies The exec producing duo trotted out a foul bird in 'Vanishing Point' which was 50% 'Ghost' and 49% 'The Sixth Sense'. 1% of TNG's 'The Inner Light' was thrown in at the end to try and curb the foul smell."

"The problem with this episode rests not in Hoshi or her story, but in the fact that Hoshi's story was, at best, a sub-plot," wrote CJ Carter at ScoopMe! "There needed to be a bigger story around it. There needed to be a ticking clock (and no, the aliens and their bombs were not effective in that context). If not an external story like having to save some civilization, then at least external to Hoshi. Sure, this too has been done before on all the Trek series (think the TNG eppie "Remember Me" except reverse it Wonka-style), but there is a reason: good storytelling."

---

"America leads an infidel democratic regime based upon separation of religion and state and ruling the people by the people via legislating laws that contradict the way of Allah and permit what permit what Allah has prohibited" Al Queda - Why We Fight

[ Reply to This | Parent Comment ]

Star Trek in General
    By k'oriely () at 16:46:26 on December 04 2002
    URL: | User Info
    To everyone!

I don't think I can take another episode of Enterprise anymore. Promises were made. The hopes I had for this series....dashed. I really don't know why we even bother reviewing these weak poorly written episodes. I have watched Trek since 1966. My wife wonders why I talk back to the TV when I am watching this drivel. Why? shes asks....why do I get so upset...I simply say there is no drama...no conflict- and not that phony forced drama about a decision nobody really makes( see joke below). The writers for this poor excuse of entertainment could'nt at least let Hoshi be trapped between here or there (still lame because it's been done) and save the the ship from aliens that came up with them or however they got there...see it doesn't matter. It's just a transporter dream...Auntie Em Auntie
    Em. That's my point. So I told my wife, do you want to see what happens when the transporters screw up in a magnetic storm. I put in the uncut version of Mirror Mirror, then a second one... The enemy within". Now she is hooked and understands....a story....needs conflict. Go somewhere that we have never been or done before. Now that she has watched most of the first season of TOS. She never considered the difference with the writng that passes today. Maybe it was because TOS had drawn from a large pool of talented science fiction writers, then Coon and Rodenberry and company could conform it to the Trek universe.Maybe it was like David Gerrold said about how an hour show is produced: First you hook the audience in that first two minutes. Then you take it up a notch, commercial, take it up another notch,commercial, bring it to a fever pitch..commercial, booom, bang fireworks. ( I had to clean up the sexual references) But I hope you get my point. "To go where no one has gone before" Now I know why they don't bother with that intro on Enterprise. Been there done that.This same staff of tired weary trekked out writers have nothing to offer us. If it takes place before TOS then everything should be strange, new and mystrious and.....most important...dramatic. A begining, a middle and an end. Sometimes right sometimes wrong. This has plauged all other incarnations of TREK. And all you fans put up with it. Although I have a fondness for TNG simply from the force of the characters, cause Lord knows, few of the actual stories were really up to par. Maybe the writing staff for Enterprise should take a weekend off and grab all the first and second season episodes of TOS and watch them and learn (and not just to be able to say they watched them). Maybe a lot of you younger fans should do the same, trust me...like my wife you will see story telling that filled 60 minutes every week a long time ago but it is what all the other aspire to be. It's about the story,stupid! Whew! I feel much better now.So I can sum it all up
    in a joke that says it all:
    How many crew members from the (fill in the ST show name) does it take to change a lightbulb?
    NONE!
    The light bulb turns in to a sentient being, proposes a moral deliema and moves on.

Sounds like alot of episodes to me.

I liked it
    By KevinS () at 09:53:04 on December 04 2002
    I liked this episode quite a bit. Jammer has a nice review of it which captures my feelings about this episode very well:

link

They should have just played honest with us...
    By AX (ax23000@hotmail.com) at 01:29:55 on December 03 2002
    In my opinion what makes this a bad episode is not that it was a dream, but that the fact that it was a dream was with held for a 'shock' ending. It's simply such a cliche that I hated the fact that they have to ruin it in the last three minutes.

However to defend it I think that dream episodes can be extremely interesting. A perfect example could be the season four finale of Buffy, 'Restless', which is simply a series of dream sequences(albeit much more obvious than in VP). Here the writers never try to pretend it is anything more than a dream and we get some wonderful insights into the show along with interesting info on the show's background. Had VP simply shown us flat out from the start that it wasn't really happening (not counting the parts where we hear them urging her to make the transport)and not changed anything else I think it would have been a lot more fun.

Why? Because I have the knowledge to watch the episode as a dream and look for it in relation to Hoshi instead of being tricked into believing that the other charachters are being developed.

Oh and I'd like to thank both Steve and Deus for doing a great job on this sight. You guys are attacked far to often considering how much work you do.

---

"...in the end the shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach..."

-Samwise Gamgee looking up at a star through the clouds. J.R.R Tolkien's Lord of the Rings-

Well, I guess I'll weigh in on all the Deus Bashing...
    By Phaser1701 (garavin@rochester.rr.com) at 12:43:02 on December 02 2002
    Those readers who think Deus gives nothing but negative reviews must be existing in Hoshi's universe of the mind. They certainly have not bothered to read his reviews lately.

Deus calls them as he sees them. Crap is crap, period. There is no quota system at work here, and he's under no obligation to write an equal number of positive reviews to balance those that are negative.

Reviews are about criticism. Those who don't like being critical of Trek need not read them. I for one enjoy Deus' take on the episodes, even if I disagree personally with what he has to say (which happens from time to time).

Now on to the ep.

I liked this show (aside from some technical problems, like the fact that Hoshi's reflection faded, but she didn't) right up until the end. The "It was all a dream" denoument was a horrible letdown, and a sure sign of weak writing. It ruined an otherwise interesting episode. Another poster suggested that Hoshi's final beam-in scene might have been played as a time or phase shift which would have allowed her to save the ship from a very real danger. That would have been a much better way to resolve the ep, IMO.

Sure, with this approach, we got to examine Hoshi's self-perceptions, lack of confidence, etc. However, with a better ending we could have had all that, and a satisfying resolution that would have been worthy of the rest of the ep (which was generally well acted, directed and yes, even decently written).

For some of us, the whole story matters. A bad ending can ruin an otherwise good show, as was the case here. B&B really do need to take Writing 101 before repeating such a sophomoric mistake again.

---

Honi Soit qui Mal y Pense...

Glad to Read ...
    By sid () at 12:10:16 on December 02 2002
    that I'm not the only one who thought of Dallas at the end of the episode. Had to explain it to my daughter who never even heard of Dallas.

The thing I hate most about this episode is not knowing what to take away as fact. I'll assume Hoshi has a father. But I cannot assume that Travis did his survival training in Death Valley. However, would Hoshi know that Trip and Archer did survival training in Australia? apparently yes. It bothers me that some of the things in this episode I will mistakenly remember as fact. I don't like that they played with our Trek knowledge in this way. I don't have a rewind and erase in my mind as I catalog these things.

Being Forewarned
    By DiLune () at 02:13:52 on December 01 2002
    actually helped me enjoy the show more than I may have. I approached it from the POV of it being a long dream sequence and enjoyed analyzing Hoshi's insecurities. Not only her fear of the transporters, but her fear of not being up to her job. Its the same fear, or insecurity, most people face. The plot was well done and was fun to watch as it slowly degenerated further and further into the dream, when things began to make less and less sense. Perhaps that's just serendipity, with fortune favoring bad writing, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and say good job on this one.

Updated: More perspectives from other web reviewers on Vanishing Point
    By O. Deus (odeus@concentric.net) at 22:12:05 on November 30 2002
    Since people have been complaining that one reviewer isn't enough, here are some more perspectives from other reviewers...

Still negative

Trek5.com

link

"But currently, more harm than good is being done by Rick Berman and Brannon Braga and their controlling wish to write nearly half of Enterprise's stories. With every step forward John Shiban, Chris Black, Phyllis Strong and Michael Sussman take, Berman and Braga kneecap the series by rehashing plots from "high-concept" movies. The exec producing duo trotted out a foul bird in "Vanishing Point" which was 50% Ghost and 49% The Sixth Sense. 1% of TNG's The Inner Light was thrown in at the end to try and curb the foul smell.

Television Without Pity - Full episode breakdown

link

"I've made no secret of my feelings regarding this episode. The only reason I'm not giving this "Inner Light"-"Frame of Mind"-"Remember Me"-"Realm of Fear" meatloaf an F is because I think Linda Park is exceptional and deserved to have her own episode. At long last. Not that they gave her much to work with, given that her two expressions were "fear" and "concern." Lecture time -- for those of you who don't want to hear an opinion other than one that lauds this episode as the harbinger of all that is good and holy, please avert your eyes. When I was in college -- no, it started even earlier than that -- when I was a freshman in high school, my revered creative writing teacher told us never to use the whole "it was a dream" device if we wanted to avoid descending into The Trite Depths Of Hackneyed Mediocrity. Maybe Bermaga should've gone to Southwest High and had Ms. Sexton bludgeon some originality into them."

---

"America leads an infidel democratic regime based upon separation of religion and state and ruling the people by the people via legislating laws that contradict the way of Allah and permit what permit what Allah has prohibited" Al Queda - Why We Fight

Solid, no pun intended
    By Noxmagic () at 21:32:58 on November 30 2002
    I'm going to keep this brief, since I don't have much more to add beyond Deus' review. I basically agree with Deus, although I did like Vanishing Point, where as Deus evidently did not. I enjoyed a big, heaping helping of Yoshi (the name of the actress who plays her escapes me right now), not only because the character is acted very well on the show, but she is also easy on the eyes. Which goes to show that a Trek babe need not be decked out in very tight clothing in order to be appealing. I also enjoyed, as usual, Commander Tripp. My one big dissagreement with Deus has to do with Vanishing's script pacing. I did not find it to be painfully slow at all. What I did not like, as Deus points out, was how most of the episode was just a dream. Yes, we've all seen this story before on TNG and DS9, but like last week's episode, Ent.'s take on this often done Trek storyline was a solid outing. Except none of it mattered. I'd actually become taken in by the episode, and was more than a little dissapointed to find out it never took place. I hope this is the first and last time Ent. has a "what if" episode.

• Type-O by Noxmagic @ 21:46:02 EDT on 30 Nov
    VP was about only 2 things:
    By CaptainO () at 23:04:04 on November 29 2002
    1) Expanding on Hoshi's character and 2) giving the audience examples of Earth's first experiences with transporting humans. I would not be surprised at all if B&B went through episodes dealing with transporters and decided on simply focusing on a throwaway line about "transporter psychosis" from TNG's "Realm of Fear." I'm also sure that this episode was justified in their minds because early transporter use is a topic that would have to be discussed at some point or another, the same way that Voyager would encounter the Borg or the Ferengi in the Delta Quadrant at one point or another. I do believe that doing an episode like this was justified, but NOT the way they did it, like the way they did "False Profits" in VOY.

What was learned at the end of "Vanishing Point?" How will this episode contribute to the series and to Trek in general? I think that these are the most important questions that should be asked at the end, but that doesn't mean that they are the criteria for which to judge how good an episode is. For example, just because Red Alert was invented in "Singularity" isn't what made it a good episode. And just because we found out that Hoshi has insecurites or that the first uses of transporters were weird experiences didn't make "Vanishing Point" any good either.

Oh, and another episode where it didn't happen: the two-parter VOY "Year of Hell." I'm curious to know what people thought of that colossal reset button.

On the mark
    By psp1 () at 13:32:33 on November 29 2002
    O.Deus, ignore all the critics. Your reviews are thoroughly accurate.
    I think you took it easy on this terd of an episode. The 'Bobby Ewing' ending is not just cliche, it is frowned upon by anyone who knows Writing 101.
    You are one of the few voices of reason left for a franchise that has taken a wrong turn and ended up stuck in mud.

---

psp1

What about
    By LM () at 08:15:01 on November 29 2002
    The inner light - it happend only in Picards mind - just for comparison. - great episode, Hoshi - good episode!

Not Bad
    By Spot () at 07:53:29 on November 29 2002
    I have to disagree with some of O. Deus' points. This episode is meaningful.

The episode shows the viewers the inner fears of Hoshi in a realistic way.

Reaffirming the possiblity of a transporter accident brings the viewers into this atomsphere of fear.

Then, Hoshi's fear of failure on duty further brings the viewers into Hoshi's inner fear. By dreaming about Archer reliving her from duty, Hoshi fears Archer not have confidence in her.

The dinner scene represents Hoshi's fear of rejections from crews. The doctor serve as "you think too much." It further provides an errie feeling of a transporter accient in waiting.

Then, the Next Phase happens in a more realiztic way. Hoshi find herself vanish in front of a mirror, another horror element.

Then, the "funeral scene" is well done. Most of the conversations between Mr. Sato and Archer are twisted according to Hoshi's memory. The way Hoshi's father receive the news is realistic. However, the way Hoshi's father says "Hoshi is part of my family, not your family" is not. It probably represents Hoshi's image of her father.

Archer ignoreing the Morse Code is pefectly logical.

Finally, the aliens reaffirms Hoshi's fear of the dead ship from last year.

The shooting was good. Overall, the episode is similar in someway some to Shyamalan's horror techniques. It is this errie feeling, which makes it different than TNG's Next Phase.

I like the movie Signs, and I also likes this episode. The episode is more a horror drama than a sci-fi. Unlike previous episodes, this episode presents Hoshi's fear rather than telling the viewers the list of Hoshi's phobias.

derivitive, but not completely without merit
    By Bucky () at 02:58:08 on November 29 2002
    Bond flicks recycle formulas all the time, why not Trek? Ok, lame excuse but as with last week's episode, there were some twists on "Next Phase"/ "Remember Me" formula. The first half hour of the episode was actually pretty good -- I really didn't know if she *was* disappearing or if it was in her head. & good performances all around. And, the episode did have some nice direction -- there were some good useage of perspective when Hosihi was walking through the coridors and I REALLY liked the shot when she was looking at her reflection in the mirror and it slowly faded out - very creepy.

But Dues did bring up a good point that repeating character beats is just really repeating character beats and not all that interesting in development of said character. And the dream ending was really terrible reset button usage - but would you rather have a technobabble soultion or reset button? You's have yours picks right there.

Not the dog that Dues made it out to be, it had some nice riffs on a few classic TNG formula but in the end, the episode itself disappears just as Hoshi was. I have a feeling though this is gonna generally be relegated to the "complete piece of shit" rating that most people will give it, which is unfair because while the pieces were old and out of date, there was enough polish on it to make it interesting. I give it a 6.5 looking at a 7.

---

speed kills but beauty lives forever

The Smashing Pumpkins 1988-2000

Dream episodes suck.
    By Strega () at 01:31:38 on November 29 2002
    As soon as the crew members were 'captured on the surface', I realized it was to be a dream episode. Personally, I expected she was in a coma after a bad transport and experienced the whole thing lying in sick bay.

Yoshi's dream started out as the fantasy of a chronically insecure person and changed into an adolescent power trip. Interesting to watch, save that it *was* a dream.

After seeing it, I found 'The Next Phase' in my tape library and watched it. Much better episode, though if it had been done in TNG's second season it might have come out as badly as VP did.

I also watched the TNG episode 'First Contact' tonight. So much better than 'Start a world war' or whatever that Enterprise episode was. You *can* have interesting, believable characters without gratuitous shower scenes or naked on-screen 'decontamination'. All it takes is good writers, something Enterprise so far lacks.

My 2 cents
    By B'Jem () at 00:00:03 on November 29 2002
    My daughter and I were totally engrossed in this ep, right up until the final couple of minutes. At that point, we could've thrown something at the TV.
    "Vanishing Point" starts out resembling TNG's "Next Phase," and we're led to believe that Hoshi really is disappering and really does discover dangerous aliens aboard who are attempting to blow up the ship. Then "VP" goes into the toilet and ends up by following in the tradition of the worst of the worst B-grade sci-fi movies: the poor slob wakes up at the end of the movie and realizes that he had dreamed the whole thing. What a let down. How cliched. The writers should be ashamed of themselves.
    I don't often agree with O.D.'s reviews -- I happen to love Voyager, for instance -- but in this case, I don't think his criticism was hard enough. "VP" was a waste of time and an insult to every Trek fan, who deserve so much more.

---

B'Jem

Some perspective on the episode from other web reviewers
    By O. Deus (odeus@concentric.net) at 22:19:57 on November 28 2002
    Since people are complaining that my review was too negative and that another reviewer is necesarry for balance...there aren't that many reviews up this early but here are 2 other reviewers take on the episode...

Television Without Pity

"Hoshi exhibits what has become her typical skittishness when she and Trip have to transport off a storm-infested planet. Of course, Hoshi "comes back wrong" and realizes she's slowly disappearing from sight, but no one really listens to her cries in the night. Suddenly, every other crew member starts acting really mean and completely out of character and I really begin to wonder if it's because the whole thing is happening in Hoshi's head. Once invisible, Hoshi comes across some aliens fixin' to blow up the ship and tries to save the day. My Thanksgiving wish was that at least one of those planetary storms was the Crystalline Entity there to wipe this pathetic excuse for a storyline off the map."

Trektoday.com's Michelle Erica Green

"Analysis: The moment Sato arrived back on Enterprise after beaming up from the planet, my husband and I looked at each other and said, "This is all a dream." It was so obviously going to be either that or a replay of Next Generation's Barclay episode, where Reg's terror of transporters led him to misinterpret the very real anomalies in the matter stream. Despite his fears, Barclay ended up a hero. Sato, however, only accomplishes something in her own mind."

---

The Silent Majority
    By LuNaTiK (shuvm@hotmail.com) at 21:04:21 on November 28 2002
    I'm not a particularly big fan of O. Deus' reviews, and I remember not being a fan of his ever since he started visiting TrekWeb's posting boards way back in the day (I'm talking a measure of years). I don't agree with his position on a lot of things, including quite a number of his reviews, and sometimes I think he relishes lambasting the things he doesn't like just a bit too much than can be healthy.

But I could say the same for Christopher Hitchens as well.

I'm probably a pretty unlikely candidate to defend anything Deus writes, but I'll submit this for everyone's due consideration:

A world without its dissenters is a dreary one...indeed a dangerous one. Deus keeps things interesting (even if you disagree with him), and judging by the number of responses to each of his reviews, I think there are many others who agree.

Steve Krutzler has been doing an outstanding job on the site, and he's got a lot of integrity. The only reason I keep visiting TrekWeb is because I can trust him not to blow essential plot details through unexpected spoilers, and that I can still get a fix once in a while on what's the latest news on the trek horizon. Sometimes I hate this site for purely selfish reasons (it's a great place to procastinate), but I have nothing but respect for Steve's work here - including his selection and steadfast support of one of his editorialists, O. Deus. It's the principled and professional thing to do -- and those characteristics are embodied throughout this entire site.

I can't speak on behalf of some great silent majority, but I suspect many would agree. Regardless, on behalf of this typically silent visitor to both Steve and Deus: keep on rockin' in the free world.

LuNaTiK

O Dues you are in error
    By mswood () at 19:20:12 on November 28 2002
    In your review you make reference to the new set addition of a gym.

Actually it has appeared already in the episode A Night in sickbay.

It truly doesn't look good for someone who is reviewing someone else's work and can't get his facts straight.

And trust me, I just rewatched Realm of Fear today. They are handling Hoshi's fears far better than TNG did Reg's.

A Suggestion
    By Trek47 (webmaster@trek47.com) at 19:00:09 on November 28 2002
    URL: http://www.trek47.com | User Info
    All of the people who are complaining about the fact that O. Deus's reviews are extremely one-sided have yet to produce any alternatives other than to get rid of him.

While I may disagree with some of his opinions on episodes, I hold to the fact that he has a right to write his reviews as he sees fit.

However, I would suggest that Steve possibly think about adding another reviewer. I've found that most sites that have a single reviewer each week such as Trek Today and TrekWeb, often have the most criticism about the reviews. Other sites that have more than one reviewer often present a more balanced view of the episodes. Perhaps that would be an alternative here.

Just my two cents.

Single Minded
    By slider (npslider@hotmail.com) at 17:32:35 on November 28 2002
    I think what might be causing people to dislike this reveiw you posted O. Deus, is that you have a tendancy to only focus on one aspect of the episode, while ignoring the rest. It would be like calling Hamlet a piece of crap just because everyone dies at the end and there is no point to all that happened. (This is not the best example and B&B are hardly Shakespeare...but you see my point).

I do enjoy your reviews, but your single-mindedness is too hyper-subjctive. (Granted all reviews are subjective), but you never examine both sides of the coin. You either focus on the positive or the negative. You have a bi-polar review mindset. You only mention what supports your thesis, never any opposing arguments. Any good review or argument ALWAYS includes oposing points of view. You simply ignore them instead of addressing them. This technique may come off as a bit arrogant and insulting.

That is what makes me mad. That also may be what makes others mad.

Just because the episode had a dream ending does not mean that the prevous 40 or so minutes sucked.

Even the TNG classic "The Inner Light" was like this. It WAS NOT REAL!

What made it so good was not the ending, but what happened in between. That is my point. According to your review would this episode suck too? That is why you can't review in such a single minded manner. If you do, you get sucked into a singularity (ahem..). :-)

There have been many episodes that never impacted the crew or affected them in the next episode (Most of TOS, TNG, and VGR) so in a sense, it could be argued that they never happened (since there was never a single reference or consequence from them EVER again). Any viewer who had missed the episode would have had no clue it had happened. (AKA episodic approach).

I ask you, how is that any different from this?

But, you know what? Unlike the countless episodes that were forgotten, I bet you good money this one will not be. They will most likley say something about this in a future episode (any time it deals with Hoshi or the transporter). Which means that in a sense this episode is actually more REAL than some of the others before it that had endings more to your liking.

Steve's and O. Deus symbiotic relationship
    By Captain J R Kirk () at 12:49:16 on November 28 2002
    Why is it that you always feel a need to stick up to O. Deus Steve while at the same time trashing the people who visit your little dictatorship here on the web. I am so sick of hearing you rejoin with, "But he liked episode X". His reviews are TRASH. I'd use even more colorful language but I wouldn't want to give you any cause to exercise your despotic rights and ban me from you little black hole of the universe. Their is no journalism here on this site. Even the "news" stories are slanted, a majority of the time, to highlight the negativity. So tell me. What's going to make you happy? Enterprise to fail? Nemesis to bomb??

People who are not first generation Star Trek fans, like you, have no idea what it was like from the late 60's to late 70's with no new trek. Just constant reruns of the CLassic show. Your damn close to getting that now. Will that make you happy? To show fandom just how much the negative energy you've help contribute to helped scuttle the franchise.

Tell me what episode was worse? Singularity or Spock's Brain? Sigularity or Threshold? Sigularity or, well I hope you grasp the idea. Enterprise is a hell of a lot better than most of the current Trek's were in their second season. Care to sit down and watch the full second season of TNG? How about DS9? Or any season of Voyager. Tell me is O. Deus going to review Nemesis? Tell him not to bother, most of us who have read his diatribes could write it for him now, with out seeing the movie. Because in his world view, since Roddenberry isn't writing it, it won't be good. Thats what gets me about a lot of fans. Gene created the idea, but that was it. The growth of Trek has so little to do with Gene Roddenberry. It had a lot more to do with another Gene, Gene Coon. For the most part Gene did very little to make Trek the success it was. He may have provided the vision, but it was the other people who played in that universe that made it successful. Look at TNG, after Gene basically walked away from the day to day operations of the show, it got better. So stop bashing B&B, because they HAVE been the creative force behind Trek since Gene died.

In my book the best of the Trek's was DS9, a Trek that Gene never would have approved of. Why? Because it violated his utopian sensabilities of what the mankinds future was going to be like. Tough.

So Steve, you and O. Deus can maintain your bizarre syncopatic relationship. It just amazes me that you never see the points that the people that visit this site make, and all you do is stick up for him. Maybe Steve it's time to shut down this site. I'm sure the financial drain on your pocket is pretty tight. You don't need this aggravation.

shoulda coulda woulda
    By ledog11 (ledog11@hotmail.com) at 12:22:58 on November 28 2002
    I wonder if anyone thinks this is a good idea. Let's scrap Enterprise and start a new show called Starfleet Academy. Wouldn't this make a great show? It doesn't have to be pre-TOS like ENT, just set in a time period when the Federation and Starfleet are well-established and all kinds of species take part in "classes" and Starfleet training. An important part of the show should be a "current events" type of class where students/cadets learn what all the Starship Captains are up to in deep space. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Writing basics ...
    By mooseday () at 12:01:31 on November 28 2002
    ... I may be wrong here but the one thing my english teacher told me about writing stories was never end the story with " and I woke up and it was all a dream. ". I hated that episode only for the last 2 minutes. It was actually getting quite tense, some cool aliens and a decent threat to the ship and then . BANG . sorry Hoshi, you just imagined it.

I am a Star Trek fan but I am starting to loose patience with this series and the standard of the episodes . With writing and scripting this poor the only thing keeping it going is the Trek name and the fans who stick up with it!

---

"He dipped his toes in the pools of normality, then went back to bask on insanity beach" - Aquafibio

You're Sick!
    By Weyune () at 09:05:50 on November 28 2002
    O.D. - I could not even finish reading your review. I get so sick of reading one piece of trash after another.

Granted, I was a bit let down by the fact that nothing really happened, but the episode was very well done - by the writing staff and the actors. I have really begun to appreciate Hoshi.

For parts of the episode I was literally staring at the tv with my mouth open - and not during the shower scene either - my wife would haev really let me know then!

Overall - another great episode that I enjoyed from start to finish. I just wish the ending could have been done a little smarter.

No matter, I still rate this episode a 9!

---

"This man thinks like me"

-- Rico the Columbian Drug Lord, in "Crocodile Dundee II"

TOP STORIES

Add TrekWeb Headlines To Your Site!

RECENT FEATURES
    OPINION POLLS
    How would you rate the latest ENT episode, THE CATWALK, on a scale from 1 (bad) to 10 (excellent) in comparison to the best and the worst episodes of all previous Star Trek episodes?
    10: Excellent
    9: Great
    8: Very Good
    7: Good
    6: Solid
    5: Average
    4: Below Average
    3: Mediocre
    2: Poor
    1: Bad
    Current Results
    SEARCH

Stories Board
    LINKS

MEDIA SITES

Cinescape Magazine
    Sci-Fi Channel
    Cyber Sci-Fi Network
    The Sci-Fi Files Radio Show
    The Warp Zone Radio Show

OFFICIAL SITES

TheDeadZone.net
    WilliamShatner.com
    The Official Leonard Nimoy Fan Club
    Star Trek: Communicator
    Star Trek Store
    Pocket Books
    StarTrek.com
    SETI@Home

FAN SITES

Trek47.com
    Trekpulse
    Assimilation Software (Open Source Star Trek Gaming)
    Trek5.com
    Star Trek in Sound & Vision
    Nanavision
    TrekToday
    Voyager's Delights
    Psi Phi
    MediaTrek.com
    The Great Link
    Optical Data Network
    SciFi Pulse
    strekonline.com
    The Trekker Newsletter