Star Trek: Voyager - The Way Things Ought to Have Been
(Shore Leave forum)

Now THIS is a Nemesis review...
(Romulan Senate forum)

UK Nemesis a hit!
(Romulan Senate forum)

Overexposed
(Shore Leave forum)

TrekWeb Newsbits: Extra coverage your crave!

Jan 05 | Palm Digital Media reports that the STAR TREK NEMESIS novelization was the #3 selling e-book in December 2002.

Jan 05 | Wigglefish has reviewed DS9: Rising Son and The Brave and the Bold, both 4/5 stars.

Jan 05 | The L.A. Times analyzes William Shatner's acting career.

Jan 04 | TREK novelist Peter David sounds off on the state of the franchise at his web site.

Jan 03 | Australia's TV1 will air a MAKING OF STAR TREK NEMESIS special on January 11th during its SCI-FI SECTOR @ 8p. (Thanks to 'Joe' for this)

Jan 03 | Cinescape has reviewed Pocket Books' THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD, giving it an A- in its full review.

Jan 02 | FilkJerk and BattlestarGalactica.com have ripped into Ronald D. Moore's BATTLESTAR GALACTICA script. (Thanks to 'Beth' for the tip)

Jan 01 | Dean Valentine, former UPN exec, has purchased a 49.9% stake in the Jim Henson Company with his investment group, according to Reuters.

LIVE EVENTS
Andre Bormanis -- Story Editor, ENTERPRISE
TBA
Submit Questions Now!
CURRENT MEDIA

• First photos from "Dawn" now online at StarTrek.com.
  • Photos and the UPN Promo for the upcoming episode 'VANISHING POINT' can be found at Star Trek.com and Mr Video.
  • UPN "Singularity" trailer available for download at AllAboutStarTrek.
  • UPN's "The Communicator" promo is available for download at AllAboutStarTrek and MediaTrek.
  • STARDATES
    Dec 31, 2002: TNG Season 7 DVD Box Set U.S. Release
    Jan 3, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS hits UK theaters
    Jan 16, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS debuts in Germany
    Feb 6, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS debuts in Australia
    Feb 13, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS debuts in the Netherlands
    Feb 14, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS debuts in Brazil
    Feb 26, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS debuts in Hungary
    Feb 25, 2003: ST: DS9 Season One DVD Set U.S. Release
    Mar 4, 2003: STAR TREK IV: THE VOYAGE HOME Collector's Edition DVD Arrives
    Mar 21, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS debuts in Norway
    Mar 26, 2003: STAR TREK NEMSIS debuts in Belgium and France
    Mar 28, 2003: STAR TREK NEMESIS debuts in Sweden
    PROMENADE

TrekWeb Merchants

Buy anything! Every purchase supports TrekWeb!

Amazon.co.uk
    Amazon.ca
    Amazon.de

Buy anything, support TrekWeb!

Buy anything, support TrekWeb!

Black Star is the UK's largest video store and offers free shipping worldwide!

www.BlackStar.co.uk - The UK's Biggest Video Store

Featured Merchandise

Pre-order ST:DS9 Season One DVD Set
    Pre-order ST:DS9 Season One

ST:TNG Companion Revised Edition

NEMESIS Soundtrack
    NEMESIS Soundtrack

ST:TNG DVD Sets

Buy the NEMESIS one-sheet to support TrekWeb!

Amazon Honor System Click Here to Give Learn More

Internet Explorer 5.5+ recommended for correct viewing.

Privacy Policy

Netscape Users: Version 6.x is recommended.

Copyright 1996-2003 Steve Krutzler and TrekWeb.com. All Rights Reserved.
    Deus: The Crew Must Execute an Evacuation in "The Catwalk," a Competent Character-Based Redo of a Common Plot

Best bargain this side of the Gamma Quadrant!
    Place an ad today!

Typhon Station is a very fastpaced PBeM RPG with skilled, experienced players and a warm sense of bonding and community. We play at the turn-of-the-century, 2400, and are located in the Typhon Expanses, bordering the Neutral Zone, proximate to the Romulan Empire, and near the Iconian Digs, and are on the first warning route of the original Borg Incursion.
    We have three stations to post from, SB 185, USS Odyssey, and USS Wraith. They all have general and particular storylines and all interact. This game is not for the faint of heart! The writing is superb and comes hot and heavy. We have some open spots and also we will consider character suggestions. So, longtime RPGers and novices, check us out. See if you want to make Typhon Station your home away from home.

(0 comments | Add)

StarTrek Universe.com - STU is an updated resource for Star Trek news, reviews and previews, and we're constantly looking for new members. Join us!
    (0 comments | Add)

Trek47.com- Your guide to Star Trek has episode guides, cast and character information, pictures, and more from all the Star Trek series and movies

(0 comments | Add)

Typhon Station is a very fastpaced PBeM RPG with skilled, experienced players and a warm sense of bonding and community. We play at the turn-of-the-century, 2400, and are located in the Typhon Expanses, bordering the Neutral Zone, proximate to the Romulan Empire, and near the Iconian Digs, and are on the first warning route of the original Borg Incursion.
    We have three stations to post from, SB 185, USS Odyssey, and USS Wraith. They all have general and particular storylines and all interact. This game is not for the faint of heart! The writing is superb and comes hot and heavy. We have some open spots and also we will consider character suggestions. So, longtime RPGers and novices, check us out. See if you want to make Typhon Station your home away from home.

(0 comments | Add)

Cut scenes? Read them all here!
    Don't miss a scene! Pre-order the STAR TREK NEMESIS novelization to support TrekWeb!

(0 comments | Add)

Buy new STAR TREK toys to support TrekWeb!
    Posted: 08:10:01 on December 19 2002
    By: Steve Krutzler
    Dept: ENTERPRISE Reviews | www.stenterprise.com

Reviews Ex Deus

Written by O. Deus, edited by Steve Krutzler

"The Catwalk"

Summary: When a group of alien deserters alert Enterprise to danger, they involve the crew in a dangerous situation.

Star Trek has done any number of episodes involving aliens trying to take over the ship. In part that's because it's a fairly economical way to do an action episode without having to leave the Enterprise. ENTERPRISE has done its share of such episodes and will undoubtedly do plenty more of them before its run is through and "Catwalk" is one of these. This time out the episode wisely focuses on the logistics of evacuating the crew into the nacelles and the dynamics of their interaction, rather than the fairly weak dilemma of the aliens and the other aliens who briefly take over Enterprise before Archer scares them off by threatening the destruction of the ship, the same gambit that Starship Captains have been using to scare aliens off their ship's for decades now and happened as recently as the second season opener, "Shockwave 2."

On "Catwalk" the aliens become almost an afterthought as the real focus is on the crew and the evacuation and it's a smart choice because where the invading aliens storyline has been done before (and far more creatively too), previous shows were often a bit weak on the logistics and "Catwalk" is one of the better entries in dissecting how the crew handles an emergency since TNG's "Disaster" or DS9's somewhat overrated "Starship Down." By contrast, even Voyager managed to put together far more creative versions of the 'aliens invaders' storyline such as "Displaced" and "Scientific Method," which did a much better job of producing elaborate and original threats to Voyager and her crew. "Catwalk'"s threat is mundane, undeveloped and resolved before it even begins.

But then "Catwalk"'s real strength rests in the crew interacting together in difficult moments. T'Pol fraternizing with the crew during movie night by pointing out plot elements, Reed's digestive problems and Trip realizing he hasn't thought of what the crew would use for a latrine. Enterprise has begun with the premise of a ship that's more like a submarine than a 24th century starship and given us a ship that for all intents and purposes is just a slightly lower tech version of a 24th century starship; episodes like "Catwalk" do a good job of actually tackling the premise of what a crew in a low tech experimental boat unprepared for deep space might actually end up living like. An experience that's less of a luxury hotel and more of a cramped military transport aircraft.

Danny Goldring as the alien captain also makes one of Enterprise's stronger villains thanks to a hard edged performance and some solid dialogue with Archer that's a bit more clever and well thought out than the kind of predictable exchanges we would usually see in this situation. The alien captain actively contemplates Archer and Enterprise and even relates to Archer and in doing so gains a certain amount of depth. His background as a corrupt military man, rather than just another alien of the week who dislikes the crew for no particular reason, is also a nice and realistic touch suggesting Voyager's own "Workforce."

Mike Vejar's direction this week is competent, but not nearly as stylish and creative as Livingston's work on last week's rather miserable "Precious Cargo." It's a shame that the two directors hadn't switched episodes or "Catwalk" might have been a lot more visually interesting. As it is, the installment is a watchable episode mainly for the crew interactions, if not a particularly extraordinary one.

Next week: Poor Reed is still out there stuck on that mine.

About the Authors

O. Deus has been a TrekWeb visitor since the site's 1996 inception. Along with being an ardent poster, he is a freelance journalist based in New York City. Deus has written reviews and columns for TrekWeb for over two years.

Steve Perry is not the former lead singer of Journey. He is, however, a long time fan of all Trek, yes, even Voyager. He is currently in law school and contributes reviews when his busy schedule permits.

TrekWeb Reviews

• "The Catwalk"
  • "Precious Cargo"
  • "Vanishing Point"
  • "Singularity"
  • "The Communicator"
  • "The Seventh"
  • "Marauders"
  • "A Night In Sickbay"
  • "Dead Stop"
  • "Minefield"
  • "Carbon Creek"
  • "Shockwave, Part II"
  • Season One Re-cap (Deus)
  • "Shockwave" (Deus)
  • "Two Days and Two Nights"
  • "Fallen Hero" & "Desert Crossing" (Deus)
  • "Vox Sola" (Deus)
  • "Detained" (Deus)
  • "Oasis" (Krutzler)
  • "Acquisition" (Williams)
  • "Rogue Planet" (Deus)
  • "Fusion" (Deus)
  • "Shuttlepod One" (Deus)
  • "Shadows of P'Jem" (Deus)
  • "Sleeping Dogs" (Deus)
  • "Dear Doctor" (Deus)

STENTERPRISE.com Mission Logs

Season Two (2002-2003)
    Prod #Title Airdate
    128 Shockwave, Part II 9/18/02
    127 Carbon Creek9/25/02
    129 Minefield10/02/02
    131 Dead Stop10/09/02
    130 A Night In Sickbay10/16/02
    132 Marauders10/30/02
    133 The Seventh11/06/02
    134 The Communicator11/13/02
    135 Singularity11/20/02
    136 Vanishing Point11/27/02
    137 Precious Cargo12/11/02
    138 The Catwalk12/18/02
    139 Dawn1/08/03
    140 Stigma2/05/03
    141 Cease Fire2/12/03
    142 Crash Landing2/19/03
    143 Canamar3/??/03
    144 The Crossing3/??/03
    Season One (2001-2002)
  • TREKWEB TALKBACK
    (12 comments)

Sort Controls:
    Start New Thread | Help!
    not groundbreaking but informative
    By douglas () at 18:40:08 on December 22 2002
    URL: | User Info
    This episode although not groundbreaking was at least better than some the episodes we previously saw.

This episode in particular did not focus on the the story that much but rather on how a crew of unseasoned space travellers survive in deep space during times when standard procedures count for squat. One of the aspects I liked about this episode was that besides the fact that the crew had to live in the ship's nicels for eight days was that we finally got to see chef who I believe will remain as one of the mystery characters of the series.

This episode didn't have a lot of content but it presented to us a good example of how Starfleet officers of the 22nd century cope with the unforeseen dangers of deep space travel.

[ Reply to This | Parent Comment ]

Survey says...
    By sid () at 12:03:21 on December 20 2002
    Poll results have Catwalk as the third most like episode this season (behind deadstop and singularity).

Can't wait to see it this weekend (pre-empted this past Wednesday by basketball)

See, not so bad
    By Noxmagic () at 23:43:46 on December 19 2002
    I evidently liked this episode a lot more than Deus or many fellow Trekkers did. I agree with Deus that the strength of Catwalk were the preperations the crew made to hide out in the nacelles, and how they interacted with eachother once there. I actually wish there could have been more of this. Would it have been so wrong to have constructed the entire episode around how the crew interacted while stuck in the catwalks (someone clear up this point for this nit-picky Trekker...was the crew split between each nacelle catwalk, or were they all stuck in just one?)? They could have created the tension and suspense of the episode around the natural conflicts between the crew as they slowly became stir crazy. Wouldn't it have been a hoot if Tripp had manufatured an engineering problem to get away and maybe goof off somewhere onboard? Reed could have discovered his ploy, but instead of turning him in, perhaps Reed's growing friendship with Tripp could have been deepened by having Tripp talk Reed into not busting him, and joining in on their mundane fun of being able to get away from the cramped, stinky catwalks, if only for 10 to 15 minutes at a time. Perhaps even T'Pol could have been drawn into this, and in her Vulcan way joined them, if only to get away from the humans', and dog's, smell. I don't know. I just think that the AOTW 2nd half of the episode was rushed, so why not do without it altogether?

One Question
    By DarthSpock () at 23:03:19 on December 19 2002
    Finally a decent episode.
    Not the best, but certainly better than most, but I have one question: In the opening scenes the storm was coming up behind them about to over take them... why didn't they just fly down?

---

"I am not sure what disappoints me more... your cowardice or your stupidity."

At Last! About Time!
    By Edzo (lordedzo@hotmail.com) at 12:57:57 on December 19 2002
    Whoever said we got a couple of good Treks in the past week was absolutely right! "Star Trek Nemesis" and now "The Catwalk" are reminders of generally bygone days in Trek quality and entertainment.

"The Catwalk" is so good, obviously, because Berman and Braga didn't write it! Oh, I'm sure they had a hand in it somewhere, but their names aren't on the credits, and what do you know? The episode was actually fun, entertaining and you actually gave a crap about what was happening. You felt for this crew, trapped in close quarters for who-knows-how long. Maybe the problem with Berman and Braga is that they are emotionally disconnected from Star Trek; thus, they can't infuse it with any genuine feeling. Or maybe that's just a corporate mentality. I think they should just stick to the business end of things and let some emotionally charged, creative people write these shows.

Lots of nice callbacks to previous Treks. The first Vulcan ambassador to Earth was "Solkar," who is Sarek's grandfather (see Star Trek 3).

T'Pol referred to having undergone the "Kahs-wan" ritual in her youth, which Spock undertook in the animated episode "Yesteryear" (VGR called it something different for Tuvok).

The Vulcan starship destroyed 100 years ago by a wave front was the "T'plana," which sounds close to "T'plana'hath," matron of Vulcan philosophy (see Star Trek 4). Also, while this is conjecture, "Star Trek: The Magazine" labeled the Vulcans' "first contact" starship with Earth the "T'plana'hath." If both starships were the same, does this mean the ship was destroyed on its way back to Vulcan from Earth?

The nacelle crawlspace hearkens back to TNG's "Eye of the Beholder," when we learned such an area existed aboard starships (who thought you could go climbing around inside the nacelles?).

Finally, some good character interactions and development. Archer and T'Pol irritating each other was cute, while Reed picked away at Trip, who refused to be baited. Nice stuff for Mayweather, but Sato was (strangely) absent for most of this.

Good stuff. Good episode. Let's have more of these!

---

Edzo!

"Considering the rate at which you imbibe, sir, is your lineage at all mixed with human?"

--Data to Mr. Homn, TNG's "Haven"

Finally
    By Hunter () at 10:16:12 on December 19 2002
    I think this is one of those times when the preview of an episode really helped it out. After last week's rather weak episode I nearly scratched my head and rolled my eyes when I saw that this weeks show would involve Archer blowing up Enterprise because some whacky aliens took over the ship. Like we're going to believe he'd do that! The point - I thought the episode was going to be boring.

Boy was I wrong (and thankfully so)!. I loved this episode. In fact, I think it goes onto my top 10 list. The character interaction was great. We were able to see a lot more of Enterprise than we've seen before. We saw the crew (a LOT of the crew) doing their jobs in a tough environment. It was all just very pleasing to me - like this is really what I thought Enterprise would be like in the first place.

Let's not forget Archer who, this week, actually acted like the captain. When he confronted the three visiting aliens stowed away with them in the nacelles he barked and prodded at them in front of his whole crew. With all those crewmen standing around him we got to see that he really is a leader of many men and women.

Nice job this week guys, keep it up!

I give it a 9
    By B'Jem () at 09:30:48 on December 19 2002
    Wow. Two great Treks in less than a week -- Nemesis last Friday, and Catwalk last night. And to think that I had almost given up on Enterprise.
    I loved the ensemble feel of this episode. We actually got to see more of the crew, and we were spared the usual forehead aliens. This time they were given V-checked cheek patches -- nice touch. Trip and Archer didn't act like goofy adolescents, the set was appropriately claustrophobic, and (miracle of miracles!) Mayweather was given a significant role to play!
    I think your review was a little tepid, OD. There's been plenty to complain about with this series, but when the episode is good (and this one was), please be a bit more enthusiastic.

---

B'Jem

Chef's in this one!
    By BWilliams (BWillNCC1701E@webtv.net) at 09:15:24 on December 19 2002
    At long last we finally get to see Chef - but only from the waist down. At least we know he's wearing a white chef's suit - I had a feeling he would! Now comes the big question: who is Chef? heehee :)

I liked this one
    By Weyune () at 08:52:06 on December 19 2002
    Personally I liked this episode. there was great crew interaction with decent actiona and little humour tossed in.

The aliens didn't do much for me, but their motives worked and I actually agree with O.D. for a change on that point. It was nice to see these aliens actually had somewhat of a reason to theive the enterprise rather than just be there for no reason.

One thing I would like to see in future episodes is a little more closeness between T'Pol and Trip like there was in the first handful of episodes last season.

---

"This man thinks like me"

-- Rico the Columbian Drug Lord, in "Crocodile Dundee II"

TOP STORIES

Add TrekWeb Headlines To Your Site!

RECENT FEATURES
    OPINION POLLS
    How would you rate the latest ENT episode, THE CATWALK, on a scale from 1 (bad) to 10 (excellent) in comparison to the best and the worst episodes of all previous Star Trek episodes?
    10: Excellent
    9: Great
    8: Very Good
    7: Good
    6: Solid
    5: Average
    4: Below Average
    3: Mediocre
    2: Poor
    1: Bad
    Current Results
    SEARCH

Stories Board
    LINKS

MEDIA SITES

Cinescape Magazine
    Sci-Fi Channel
    Cyber Sci-Fi Network
    The Sci-Fi Files Radio Show
    The Warp Zone Radio Show

OFFICIAL SITES

TheDeadZone.net
    WilliamShatner.com
    The Official Leonard Nimoy Fan Club
    Star Trek: Communicator
    Star Trek Store
    Pocket Books
    StarTrek.com
    SETI@Home

FAN SITES

Trek47.com
    Trekpulse
    Assimilation Software (Open Source Star Trek Gaming)
    Trek5.com
    Star Trek in Sound & Vision
    Nanavision
    TrekToday
    Voyager's Delights
    Psi Phi
    MediaTrek.com
    The Great Link
    Optical Data Network
    SciFi Pulse
    strekonline.com
    The Trekker Newsletter