Home Home
YOUR ACCOUNT / NEWSLETTERS
Email Password
AIR SCHEDULE
BBS TOPICS
TrekWeb Newsbits: Extra coverage your crave
Submit News Make TrekWeb.com your home page!
First Reviews of STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE Season One DVD Set Mixed

PROMENADE

Place an ad today!

Typhon Station is a very fastpaced PBeM RPG with skilled, experienced players and a warm sense of bonding and community. We play at the turn-of-the-century, 2400, and are located in the Typhon Expanses, bordering the Neutral Zone, proximate to the Romulan Empire, and near the Iconian Digs, and are on the first warning route of the original Borg Incursion.
We have three stations to post from, SB 185, USS Odyssey, and USS Wraith. They all have general and particular storylines and all interact. This game is not for the faint of heart! The writing is superb and comes hot and heavy. We have some open spots and also we will consider character suggestions. So, longtime RPGers and novices, check us out. See if you want to make Typhon Station your home away from home.

(0 comments | Add)

Posted: 07:58:06 on February 14 2003
By: Steve Krutzler
Dept: Deep Space Nine
The first reviews of the STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE Season One DVD Gift Set have surfaced today and while reviewers are pleased with the new packaging of the sets, the content of the discs earned mixed remarks.

TrekWeb's Steve Krutzler gives the set 3/5 stars in his full review, writing that the first season's twenty episodes outshine decidedly average bonus materials.

"Whatís good, however, is the show itself," Krutzler says of the set available February 25th. "If thereís anything that can raise the quality of this set beyond the mediocre extras, itís the quality of the series pilot and the rest of the season. More different than any TREK before or after it, DS9 brought a type of grittiness and character drama that you just donít get anywhere else in the TREK universe."

Read TrekWeb's complete review with screenshots here.

Bill Hunt at The Digital Bits isn't as impressed with the stories of the first season, giving the set a C+ overall.

"The first season started off with a literal bang... another look at the Battle of Wolf 359," Hunt writes. "And then, the pace slowed down significantly. As tough as it was for fans to latch on to the show, the writers also seemed to have trouble making the shift. During its first season, Deep Space Nine fell back on several tried-and-true Trek plot staples that had long since been done to death on The Next Generation."

Check out full Digital Bits review here.

Pre-order the set from any of the following merchants to help support TrekWeb:

React to this story below and see what others are saying at the STAR TREK BBS.
Join our monthly e-mail newsletter!
TREKWEB TALKBACK
(22 comments)
Sort Controls:
Start New Thread | Help
test

---

-Steve Krutzler
==V/-/== Rocks

[ Reply to This | Parent Comment ]

too much money
By cooper2000 ( ) at 13:01:30 on February 14 2003
URL: | User Info
You may not care about extras but when you are shelling out over 100.00, most people expect them.
I would be happy to buy DS9 but its just too pricey.
They should be no more than 50.00.
Paramount again milking the masses.

To be honest....
By prometheus 59650 ( ) at 11:19:20 on February 14 2003
URL: http:// | User Info
...I care not about extras. They are nice little tidbits that are enjoyable to look at, but I know of no one that watches them more than once or twice.

What matters to me is digital transfer, sound, and overall content. All reviews up to this point have given it great marks in terms of sound and video, as I've come to expect after seeing the TNG sets.

And now we come to content. DS9, like all of the modern incarnations took some time to figure itself out. All one has to do is look at TNG's "Naked Now" to see examples of that. However, DS9, while stumbling sometimes in its opening season it clearly had the strongest first season of any of the modewrn shows.

That in a number of ways. Look at "Dramatis Personae" It is something of a bold move to take barely introduced characters and turn their behavior on it's head as this episode did effectively. And "The Nagus" is a suprisingly well-crafted episode that gives us our first real look at Ferengi society. The level of polish displayed in this script displays is often not seen in any show, especially Trek, that early in its run.

And "Duet" I cannot say enough about this episode as bandwidth does not permit me to do it justice. Damn good Trek. Damn good tv. Period. "What you call genocide I call a day's work." is delivered with such cold, brutal panache that it still sends a chill down my spine.

But it's the little things that stand out here. Even this early one can see the animosity...and grudging affection between Quark and Odo. "Progress" shows us that Kira isn't going to be the one note fireball waiting to explode that she very easily could have become.

And the creators didn't take the easy route with Bareil's assassination in "In the Hands of the Prophets." by having a nondescript "Bajoran extra of the week" fire the weapon. Neela actually had a brief introduction in the previous episode, "Duet" I couldn't see any of the other modern incarnations going to that effort. It displays the commitment to continuity that we would see come to fruition in later seasons.

In terms of content alone, not extras that most will barely watch, the season is well worth the buy.

---

"Remember all that 'We come in peace' stuff? ...Bite me." --Colonel Jack O'Neil, Stargate SG-1