Home Home
YOUR ACCOUNT / NEWSLETTERS
Email Password
AIR SCHEDULE
BBS TOPICS
TrekWeb Newsbits: Extra coverage your crave
OPINION POLL
Community Departments Promenade About Us Submit News Make TrekWeb.com your home page!
Andreas Katsulas Guest Stars in Episode Featuring Tri-Gendered Species, "Cogenitor" (SPOILERS)

PROMENADE

Place an ad today!

Typhon Station is a very fastpaced PBeM RPG with skilled, experienced players and a warm sense of bonding and community. We play at the turn-of-the-century, 2400, and are located in the Typhon Expanses, bordering the Neutral Zone, proximate to the Romulan Empire, and near the Iconian Digs, and are on the first warning route of the original Borg Incursion.
We have three stations to post from, SB 185, USS Odyssey, and USS Wraith. They all have general and particular storylines and all interact. This game is not for the faint of heart! The writing is superb and comes hot and heavy. We have some open spots and also we will consider character suggestions. So, longtime RPGers and novices, check us out. See if you want to make Typhon Station your home away from home.

(0 comments | Add)

Posted: 00:56:30 on February 28 2003
By: Steve Krutzler
Dept: Enterprise | stenterprise.com
StarTrek.com has posted its production report for the twenty-second episode of ENTERPRISE's second season, "Cogenitor." TrekWeb revealed the first information about this episode recently (story), in which Trip befriends a member of an alien race known as the Vissians. This member of the species is called the 'cogenitor' and in the new information revealed today, we learn that this individual is indeed a member of the Vissian's third sex, which are treated unfairly by the species' other two sexes.

According to the production report, prominent sci-fi and genre actor Andreas Katsulas, who played the Romulan 'Tomalak' in ST:TNG, will play the Vissian Captain. Katsulas is also familiar to fans as 'G'Kar' on the sci-fi series BABYLON 5. Also in the guest cast for "Cogenitor" is F.J. Rio as the Vissian Engineer; Rio appeared as engineer 'Muniz' in DEEP SPACE NINE and 'Joleg' in VOYAGER's "Repentance." Newcomer Becky Wahlstrom plays the cogenitor.

The episode was penned by executive producers Rick Berman and Brannon Braga and directed by TNG star LeVar Burton. Burton also shot last year's "Terra Nova" and "Fortunate Son," and the site reports that he is slated to direct the "landmark 50th episode" of ENTERPRISE. "Cogenitor" is scheduled to air on UPN April 30th.

For the full production report visit this page.

React to this story below and see what others are saying at the STAR TREK BBS.
Join our monthly e-mail newsletter!

Season Two (2002-2003)
Prod #Title Airdate
128 Shockwave, Part II 9/18/02
127 Carbon Creek9/25/02
129 Minefield10/02/02
131 Dead Stop10/09/02
130 A Night In Sickbay10/16/02
132 Marauders10/30/02
133 The Seventh11/06/02
134 The Communicator11/13/02
135 Singularity11/20/02
136 Vanishing Point11/27/02
137 Precious Cargo12/11/02
138 The Catwalk12/18/02
139 Dawn1/08/03
140 Stigma2/05/03
141 Cease Fire2/12/03
142 Future Tense2/19/03
143 Canamar2/26/03
144 The Crossing4/2/03
145 Judgment4/9/03
146 Horizon4/16/03
147 The Breach4/23/03
148 Cogenitor4/30/03
149 Regeneration5/??/03
150 First Flight5/??/03
Season One (2001-2002)
TREKWEB TALKBACK
(65 comments)
Sort Controls:
Start New Thread | Help
Cogenitor is not a romance story
By aquirius ( ) at 11:42:19 on March 03 2003
URL: | User Info
A lot of people posting here are sweating the fact that the Cogenitor has been cast as a woman. Some are even decrying that the episode is playing it PC, so as not to offend teenage male jocks. These posters imply that the cogenitor should been cast as a feminized man, and given a homosexual attaction to Tucker, thus adding dimenision to Tucker's character. Not that he would reciprication the attraction, but that he wouldn't be offended by a homosexual attraction. Some who have read the synapsis seem to be assuming that this episode is directed at addressing prejudice against the homosexual community, or is directed at exploring ones sexual orientation.

Well, I don't know where these folks learned to read, but this episode has nothing to do with sexual orientation.

Please take notice in the synapsis that the Cogenitor is an UNEDUCATED member of their society, unable to read, write, or do mathmatics. The Cogenitor of the species is not even allowed to be educated, somehow it is a violation of their culture. Now, how is this about sexual orientation? Gays are allowed to be educated.

I believe that this episode is actually about discrimination based on GENDER. Well, the only parallel I draw from this is the disrcimination against women under the Taliban regeime, based on their interpretation of the Quran. The Taliban forbid women to be educated under penalty of beating or even death. This episode draws a parallel with discrimination against women in Afganistan. Hence why they cast a dark tanned actress for the role. Now I'll say this if the episode is indeed about discrimination against women just simply have her gender be woman, with a culture that discriminates against women. Not a third gender, as if the allogory needs to be subtle. Most of the world is liberal enough to appreciated the allogory face forward. Man if this is RB & BB's idea of telling allogorial story they need help to time warp to the present day. This isn't the 60's Rick.

[ Reply to This | Parent Comment ]

We all seem to be assuming...
By Josiah Rowe ( ) at 01:50:11 on March 01 2003
...that the relationship between Trip and the Cogenitor will be a romantic/sexual one, or at least one tinged with attraction from one side or the other. I don't think there's any evidence yet about that: the relationship could be a purely Platonic one. On the other hand, they could get hot and heavy. We just don't know anything yet.

What interests me is why so many of us jumped to this conclusion. It may be because of the apparent similarity to "The Outcast", or it may be that we're all hypersensitive after the flamewars of "Stigma". Or maybe we're just acting like members of our sex-obsessed society.

I don't know about the episode itself, but...
By Jadziamidala ( ) at 20:48:28 on February 28 2003
it will be nice to see Katsulas come back to Trek.

---

New York will rise again...

Sounds possibly good..
By AntonyF ( ) at 18:18:25 on February 28 2003
URL: http://www.b5tv.com | User Info
I have to laugh how it's been likened to "The Outcast". One has one gender, the other has three. And they're likened to being the same?

"The Outcast" wasn't mentioned when Species 8472 were revealed to have numerous genders.

I'm not oblivious to some stories being too similar." Vanishing Point", for one. But then sometimes I think the stretches are just a little too far to liken an episode to another.

Just because this story will deal with something relating to gender, doesn't mean it's necessarily like the TNG episode. Let's wait and see on this one.

---

Lydia: "I've never lost at mortal combat yet."
Diana: "Idiot. If you had, you'd be dead." -- V, "The Champion"

Oh Puke
By LockAndLoad ( ) at 11:59:51 on February 28 2003
Sounds like that Riker episode someone else already mentioned. First stigma now this, christ how blatant can you get??

Braga and berman are perverts.

---

We look for things, things to make us go. We look for the Wesley, he make us GO! GO! GO! - Pakled

Another TNG Rehash
By Cujo ( ) at 10:28:25 on February 28 2003
URL: http://www.cyberstorm.ca | User Info
Anyone else find this oddly familiar with that TNG episode where Riker has a relationship with an Alien from an asexual race?

---

"Once you've been in Serenity, you never leave. You just learn to live there."

See!! This is what I like
By Johnny ( jlewald@indiana.edu) at 09:53:29 on February 28 2003
URL: http://www.crosswinds.net/~jstvs/ | User Info
I like episodes of Trek that are weird... sort of like "Unexpected," it made me think that Enterprise was worth watching!

Then we got shit episodes like "Acquisition," "Oasis," and "Rogue" right in a row (I believe someone titled them "Axis of Evil" episodes) and thats what got me to not care if I missed a new Star Trek episode (like I had for many many years)

There goes the Homoerotic Subtext
By W Epemenundus Edrastus Blab ( justin52240@msn.com) at 21:42:22 on February 27 2003
Since the Conginitor is played by a female actor. There was some talk when the story first broke that Trip would be pared up with a femenized male character. Alas, that would be too progressive for this show. The audience simply is not ready.

---

"They all have been the living breathing heart of this crew for years. They deserve more than to be shrugged off, brushed aside, just pinched out of existence like that. They deserve so much more...I wont forget. I wont forget any of you."--Dr. Crusher