Home Home
YOUR ACCOUNT / NEWSLETTERS
Email Password
AIR SCHEDULE
BBS TOPICS
TrekWeb Newsbits: Extra coverage your crave
OPINION POLL
Community Departments Promenade About Us Submit News Make TrekWeb.com your home page!
Marina Sirtis on 'Troi', Gay Character in TREK, and "Racist" Episode

PROMENADE

Posted: 09:56:10 on April 12 2003
By: Steve Krutzler
Dept: People
Actress Marina Sirtis stopped by BBC Wiltshire recently to answer fan questions submitted via the Internet and the site has made available a RealAudio streaming recording of her responses. Although much of the interview concerns Sirtis's career in particular, one fan did ask whether she thinks STAR TREK has steam left in it after NEMESIS.

"I think it peaked with TNG, but then I'm biased," she answered honestly.

The actress told another fan that she wished Troi's personal life had been developed a bit more on the series.

"We never really knew what Troi did in her spare time, apart from work out," she says. "We saw her in a leotard on occasion doing, you know, like Kung Fooey-type things with Worf. But we never knew what her hobbies were or what she did on her down time. So I think that would've been quite interesting to find out what she did."

Even so, playing the subdued counselor for over ten years hasn't been easy for the vivacious Sirtis. One fan asked her what the most difficult thing about playing the character was.

"Keeping Marina out, because Marina's, as you can see, we're not very similar," she responded. "And it was sometimes really hard to squash Marina and make sure she didn't infringe on Troi."

Someone asked her if there is any episode she felt was really "bad" and shouldn't have aired. The answer was easy.

"The second episode we ever made, and it was called 'Code of Honor', and I thought basically, not to put too fine a point on it, that it was racist."

The age-old "what do you think of having a gay character on STAR TREK?" popped up as well.

"I'm going to give the answer that Gene always used to give, and that is, how do you know who was gay and who wasn't? They didn't walk around with a sign saying 'I am gay'. So any of those people that you met as guest stars or saw sitting in Ten Forward or whatever, how do you know they weren't gay? He just didn't want it to be a 'thing'. He felt that by the 24th century, it wouldn't be a 'thing' and one wouldn't have to make a point of it."

You can see photos of Marina's appearance and hear the full audio interview here.

React to this story below and see what others are saying at the STAR TREK BBS.
Join our monthly e-mail newsletter!
TREKWEB TALKBACK
(29 comments)
Sort Controls:
Start New Thread | Help
The BBC knows TrekWeb
By diggdoug ( ) at 19:08:35 on April 12 2003
URL: | User Info
I see that the BBC's site lists TrekWeb as the only Star Trek-related site link. Guess they know where to go for all things Trek. Congrats on yet more recognition of your site's standing, Steve!

[ Reply to This | Parent Comment ]

OH MY GOD!!!

The Gay question was my question, I am Weston Clark from Utah!! How exciting for me!:-) Just thought I'd share that with you!

BTW, her response, I agree with some of the other posts on here. They did go out of their way to show the heterosexuals, so it would seem they could at least mention the gay characters.

---

"Yes, madam, I am drunk. But in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
-- Winston Churchill

Racist?
By Chris Pike ( ) at 15:28:19 on April 12 2003
How exactly is Code of Honor racist? Cos it has black people in it?

Gasp! A planet...where everyone is black?!?! How DARE they?

---

"By the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

-- Jean-Luc Picard, The Drumhead

The gay characters on Star Trek
By Captain Overit ( ) at 12:02:11 on April 12 2003
Sure, I agree, by the 24th century, it really shouldn't be an issue who is gay and who isn't. So why is it always so important to show us who ISN'T gay (IE: Picard and Vash/Neela Darren, Riker and Troi, Worf and Troi, etc)? Why is that so important? Do they have something they need to prove through those characters? ;)