Home Home
YOUR ACCOUNT / NEWSLETTERS
Email Password
AIR SCHEDULE
BBS TOPICS
TrekWeb Newsbits: Extra coverage your crave
OPINION POLL
Community Departments Promenade About Us Submit News Make TrekWeb.com your home page!
Rick Berman: Season 3 Will be Like Writing Whole New Show (SPOILERS)

PROMENADE

Posted: 14:16:06 on April 15 2003
By: Steve Krutzler
Dept: Enterprise | stenterprise.com
Producer Rick Berman seems more willing to characterize the change for ENTERPRISE next season, which he describes as a "course correction," as significant, in new remarks today with Sci-Fi Wire. He says "The Expanse" will setup a "first" for the TREK franchise.

"For the first time on a STAR TREK series, we're going to be dealing with a mission to save Earth," Berman said. "We'll be dealing with a different group of aliens, [and] we're going to be dealing with some new, non-Starfleet people coming on the ship to add a little muscle for the potentially violent situations our crew will be coming up against."

He says the change will be markedly different from the current show.

"It's exciting for us because, in a way, it gives us a new show to write. It will still be STAR TREK, and it will still be ENTERPRISE, and we'll still have all of our characters with us. But it will be a real course [correction]. We're excited about it, and it does all get set up in the final episode of the season."

The producer also says that one of the regular characters will lose someone dear to them on Earth and that T'Pol's character will undergone a major trial related to her participation in the "new mission." Read the original interview here.

React to this story below and see what others are saying at the STAR TREK BBS.
Join our monthly e-mail newsletter!

Season Two (2002-2003)
Prod #Title Airdate
128 Shockwave, Part II 9/18/02
127 Carbon Creek9/25/02
129 Minefield10/02/02
131 Dead Stop10/09/02
130 A Night In Sickbay10/16/02
132 Marauders10/30/02
133 The Seventh11/06/02
134 The Communicator11/13/02
135 Singularity11/20/02
136 Vanishing Point11/27/02
137 Precious Cargo12/11/02
138 The Catwalk12/18/02
139 Dawn1/08/03
140 Stigma2/05/03
141 Cease Fire2/12/03
142 Future Tense2/19/03
143 Canamar2/26/03
144 The Crossing4/2/03
145 Judgment4/9/03
146 Horizon4/16/03
147 The Breach4/23/03
148 Cogenitor4/30/03
149 Regeneration5/7/03
150 First Flight5/14/03
151 Bounty5/14/03
152 The Expanse5/21/03
Season One (2001-2002)
TREKWEB TALKBACK
(72 comments)
Sort Controls:
Start New Thread | Help
The next, next generation...
By Jacarutu ( ) at 03:04:19 on April 18 2003
URL: | User Info
Ive been telling myself for two years that, "it'l get better after season 3". Why cant we have a Trek that is great from the premiere on?

I was two years old when The Next Generation started and some of my first memories are of Star Trek. It was my absolute favorite show in the world. I still watch the reruns today, even after seeing them all at least ten times. How many people will be able to say that about Enterprise in 16 years?

Now I'm going to like Enterprise no mater how bad it gets, but I'm going to make it a priority to someday take over the ster trek franchise, and hire REAL fans to write it. Lets get back to the roots of what made Star Trek the best show on tv. Lets Have a show that can rival SG-1. Who's with me?

End of Rant.

You can now go back to reality....

[ Reply to This | Parent Comment ]

Andorian Observers
By DiLune ( ) at 02:20:21 on April 18 2003
C'mon. This is the perfect time to give the pointy eared freaks a good kick in their collective tails. The Andorians may have blue skin but they are more like us than the Vulcans could ever hope to be. The Andorians could put "observers" on the Enterprise as they have also begun diplomatic relations with the humans. The Vulcans aren't the only technologically advanced race out there that is friendly to humans...and the Andorians don't have that annoying Prime Directive to prevent them from sharing their technology. Make Shran a regular!

New Direction
By Penfold ( ) at 18:23:16 on April 17 2003
The people of Earth under threat of annihilation.

One state-of-the-art ship sets out into uncharted territory to find the cure to the plague that will destroy all human life in 5 years... oh sorry, got mixed up with B5:Crusade there.

Given that Enterprise was billed before airing as "a fresh new direction" for the Star Trek franchise, and turned out to be barely-warm leftovers, I don't have much hope for the new new direction.

And if it turns out to be a desperate attempt to use post- 11/9 hysteria to booast the ratings, then shame on them. They're just not good enough writers to do that kind of subject matter justice.

As to other ST series sucking in the 1st two seasons. Yes, there were some dire episodes. But the worst of TNG and DS9 are better than ENTs best

Alternative analysis.
By ahremsee ( ) at 08:10:55 on April 17 2003
URL: http://enterprise.robandsally.com | User Info
Hey all,

Well i've gone thru and scanned all of the posts (well nearly all of them!) and perhaps i have an idea that fleshes out what Berman was talking about.

admonishor quoted him as saying "we're going to see changes as we go into a very ominous section of space, and try to find an alien race that we have reason to believe is going to do everything they can to destroy Earth's population."

Everyone's talking about "NEW ALIENS" and why haven't we heard of them before! but hold on!

This is a series that is set BEFORE almost every piece of trek that you've seen already. You have to take a step back and look at the story in context and view berman's comments in context too. New Aliens and unexplored dangerous areas of space, are only new and unexplored the first time you go there. Like the Romulan Star Empire!

Since we don't get to see what a Romulan looks like until "ST:TOS Balance of terror", i'd say that they're going to remain pretty mysterious and dangerous for a very long time to come.

I think that Enterprise has great potential! but as with all of the previous trek series' it needs time to settle in. The premise is good, not like it was in Voyager. There you always knew that once they got home that would be the end of it.

Yes i agree that the ship runs a little too smoothly for a prototype. But be honest, would you want to see them just sitting there for a whole episode whilst they fix something that's broken? not exactly reveting TV is it.

There's a lot of history to build up in this series and there's potentially another 5 years left to do it. Romulus wasn't built in a day.

I for one will be tuning to see how NX-01 interacts with the other ships in the fleet. Then perhaps the attack at the end of season 2 will cause the European Hegemony to start launching it's own ships, as people flee the earth to find safe havens in the stars.

---

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't

New Aliens
By Jodeo ( ) at 22:37:28 on April 16 2003
Archer and crew will be guided by Tribbles. WOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

ENTERPRISE/Star Trek Is Dead! Long Live Kirk! Long Live Picard! Long Live SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE!

It will be okay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By Vorta57 ( ) at 19:16:56 on April 16 2003
Say what you will about retooling the show. it has happened to every trek series in the past 16 years.
TNG changed drastically in season three, the campy first and second seasons almost got the show canceled. Then came along season three and poof! We're getting Yesterday's Enterprise, and Best of Both Worlds.

Fast forward to DS9. The first two seasons were somewhat mediocre. So end of season two the writers came up with the Dominion and the Jem'Hadar. Season three was totally new DS9, with the ominous threat from the Gamma Quadrant and the introduction of the Defiant. Season 4, Worf came aboard, we got the Klingons in the mix.

Season five saw Cardassia joining the Dominion, leading up to seasons six and seven of the Dominion War.

Hell even look at Voyager. Say what you will. The first two seasons of that show were far worse than Enterprise!

I remember reading after season two finish, Jeri Taylor said there would be changes to the show. Season three did have a shift with Scorpion being the season finale. One of the all time best eps up there with Best of Both Worlds.

Its safe to assume hoping history repeats itself, that every third season, the shows get revamped and made better. In the case of TNG and DS9, the shows were drastically different and so much more entertaining, while Voyager did get better albeit slightly! Here's hoping Enterprise follows the paths of its predecessors especially DS9 with these new aliens threatening Earth creating a new conflict and reasons for great story telling just the way the Dominion did to DS9.

Yeah, right.
By Shaun ( ) at 17:50:39 on April 16 2003
As long as Berman and Braga have ANYTHING to do with the writing of stories and/or scripts, I'll be tuning OUT, thank you very much. Everything these two touch turns to grade-A, shiny poop. They are lousy, lousy, LOUSY writers. I have no faith in this "change of direction" at all.

No stupid war action, please!
By Sim ( sebian@simpathy.de) at 08:53:36 on April 16 2003
I just hope they won't make a stupid action show out of Enterprise, fitting the extremely paranoid warmongering athmosphere in the real world of today.

When Enterprise becomes a stupid propaganda show, I will stop watching it.

Star Trek is about an illuminated mankind that is better than we are today.
I want to have it that way, not "JAG in Space" that glorifies brutality and stupidity.

So basically, Enterprise failed.
By Beckett ( email@jonathan-davies.net) at 07:47:19 on April 16 2003
URL: http://www.jonathan-davies.net | User Info
Fair enough if it has, you could argue TNG/Voyager/DS9 failed and had to shift - but for what Berman saw as the best show ever, here to save us and the franchise, he could at least admit it failed ;)

I can't wait to d/l The Expanse, even though I still have most of S2 to get :P

---

---------------------------------------
Nemesis had all the right buttons there waiting to be pressed, but like Data on a Reman keypad Paramount seem to have pushed the wrong ones. :/

Of all the things mentioned....
By one_2_three ( ) at 01:52:06 on April 16 2003
Am I the only one curious who the mystery aliens and now the mystery "new crew" is?

Please god, don't make it the Klingons. The Klingons were NEVER aboard a Starfleet ship (Commanding and/or part of crew I mean) until Worf joined and I want it to stay that way.

Again, i'm thinking aliens are The Orion Pirates and the new people aboard...I haven't thought of anyone yet EXCEPT the Klingons and I hope it doesn't get to that.

Now hang on...
By Darth Brooks ( ) at 23:40:18 on April 15 2003
Before you set your phasers on 'nit-pick', I think all that Rick Berman was trying to say was that the possible annihilation of Earth and our crew's efforts to thwart that threat will become the primary, overriding concept driving the show.

If Rick says that's what this show is going to be about now, I'm certainly intrigued.

Even at the height of the Dominion War, DS9 wasn't about "aliens vs. Earth". It was about one interstellar government trying to impose itself upon (and subsequently annex) a number of others.

That having been said, think about the season finale... mysterious outsiders with an unknown agenda suddenly and brutally attack us, without warning or mercy. Sound familiar?

I wouldn't be remotely surprised if this new direction was modeled after post-9/11 America. Remember, Enterprise was conceived and implemented prior to 9/11, and with that one event all sorts of new socio-political relevancies emerged. This new concept may give writers the chance to explore these concepts and dilemmas in a more applicable setting than they were able to previously.

America has changed, for better or worse... and I think Enterprise might be about to change with it.

As always, I remain hopeful.

-DB

Well, I'm trying to be optimistic
By Corran_Horn ( ) at 23:28:38 on April 15 2003
I just read a post down below from someone who compares Rick Berman's new direction for ENT to the producers new direction for Space 1999 way back when. Well, I am not very familiar with that show but I do remember another sci-fi show with a similar problem.

Battlestar Galactica underwent a major change, I think it was it's second season. Remember Galactica 1980? The producers of that show were trying to make it more successful and give it new direction. Unfortunately we all know the results of that endeavor; it became laughable and failed big time. I remember 5 or 6 years ago back in high school I used to watch it on the sci-fi channel in syndication when I got home. Then one day it turned into Galactica 1980, and I watched in absolute horror as my favorite afterschool show turned into total crap.

I'm looking forward to this "new direction" for ENT, but in the back of my mind I can't help thinking of producers far more talented than Berman that tried to turn around shows and failed.

---

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum."

Roddy Piper, "They Live"

My hope
By Maestro ( ) at 22:19:42 on April 15 2003
is that the attack on Earth provides the impetus for Section 31.

---

I'm all for ethnic diversity but this is just pandering. -Lisa Simpson

Re: Berman's comments
By Jadziamidala ( ) at 21:17:56 on April 15 2003
>>>[and] we're going to be dealing with some new, non-Starfleet people coming on the ship to add a little muscle for the potentially violent situations our crew will be coming up against.<<<

Translation: Shran will become a pseudo regular on the show.

---

"Who is the more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him?"

Sounds very interesting, I must say.
By Hbasm ( ) at 18:03:41 on April 15 2003
URL: http://home3.inet.tele.dk/huas/st_enterprise/ENT-page1.htm | User Info
I wonder if the Klingons could play a part here.. maybe they're going to be on the Enterprise? Who knows.. I'm glad Rick Berman is doing something to make the show more appealing. I'm not at all worried about wether I'll like the result personally, because it's very rare that I dislike what he's doing. :o)

*Sigh*
By giventofly462 ( ) at 17:55:56 on April 15 2003
URL: www.joeburdette.com | User Info
We'll just never be happy...

---

----/\===
"I'll see you on the dark side of the moon."

Deja Vu
By bretw ( ) at 17:42:58 on April 15 2003
I'm sorry, but this sounds like the desperate attempts of a man who has no idea how to make a good show and is changing everything and hoping that something clicks.

Anyone remember the drastic changes between season one and season two of SPACE: 1999? They promised more action, but the plots just got sillier and sillier; they dropped some characters and added others without explanation; and each show became a 'monster of the week.'

To me, this announcement feels just like Deja vu.

My memory must be faulty...
By Admonisher ( ) at 15:42:34 on April 15 2003
> "For the first time on a STAR TREK series, we're going to be dealing with a mission to save Earth," Berman said.

Uhhhh ... really? First time, you say? I'm scratching my head in astonishment that Star Trek never got around to stories about saving Earth. Really, you'd think they'd have come up with something like that before now.

Berman also says:

> "We'll be dealing with a different group of aliens."

...and in another interview...

> "we're going to see changes as we go into a very ominous section of space, and try to find an alien race that we have reason to believe is going to do everything they can to destroy Earth's population."

Gee, a section of unknown space, with an alien race that wants to destroy Earth? Honestly, how have we overlooked this premise for so many years? It's pure gold!

> "[and] we're going to be dealing with some new, non-Starfleet people coming on the ship to add a little muscle for the potentially violent situations our crew will be coming up against."

Ah ... so we'll be mixing Stafleet crew with rougher, harder-edged non-Starfleet crew. My memory must be faulty, because I remember this as the basic premise of both DS9 *and* Voyager. I also seem to recall that both of those shows featured "ominous, unexplored areas of space" containing alien races that wanted to destroy Earth. In fact, now that I think about it, something even older is nagging at me ... does "Q Who?" mean anything to you guys? Because I could swear...

But no, my brain is clearly malfunctioning, because Berman insists that this is a *completely new*, *never-been-done* direction for Star Trek! Anyone want to "reeducate" me?

Remember Nemesis
By tazym ( ) at 15:26:48 on April 15 2003
I remember him getting all worked up about Nemesis and how exciting and different it was going to be.....
I'm still trying to rememember what the hell that movie was all about.

Hmmm.
By timmer33 ( ) at 14:29:15 on April 15 2003
I think they may yet again be making a mistake. Changes are needed, without a doubt. I myself have called for more character-building and more hardship for the characters ...more personal trauma, if you will. It sounds like that may be happening. Good.

However, this whole "change of mission" to save the earth sounds a bit suspect. Almost like that CRUSADE show a while back. And this mysterious area of space (that has NEVER been mentioned before) sounds silly and too much like Voyager and the Badlands.

The addition of new people sounds interesting, but I get the impression it's a group of marines on board to take care of any violent situations.

Dear B&B: I know the show needs changing, but before you go to such drastic measures, try doing one simple thing first: HIRE AND USE THE GOOD WRITERS YOU ALREADY HAVE. It doesn't matter what new situation you've dreamt up, because if the writing and stories still suck, where will you be?

Right back at square one.

Timmer33

• RE: Hmmm. by MikeNinNH @ 11:10:58 ET on 16 Apr
  • RE: Hmmm. by Lt_Sartre @ 23:24:40 ET on 15 Apr
  • RE: Hmmm. by Scorned @ 14:34:37 ET on 15 Apr
Hmmm...I'm AFRAID.
By TheeBlueWolf ( ) at 14:28:08 on April 15 2003
This could be a super good thing...kind of like revamping Enterprise like how the old Seaquest was revamped. Sounds like they are trying SG-1's militarilistic action formula in a sense. This could be a good thing. BUT...what's with bringing new people aboard, and seemingly center stories around them, instead of trying to develop the current cast...especially Archer. I don't think this is the right course to take. They should either get rid of Archer and promote someone to replace him. Or make Archer stronger and more of a leader. But I don't know...I'm glad they're doing something drastic! Because Enterprise needs to address some serious issues. But I just hope they don't take the wrong steps. They need to realize that Enterprise has so much un-tapped potential just waiting to be explored. Why can't they see that? Without bringing in new people and new aliens and such???

Hm
By Brikar ( brikar99@yahoo.com) at 14:27:05 on April 15 2003
URL: http://www.geocities.com/brikar99/ | User Info
Sounds cool... Hope it will be.

---

"Plan? I go in, start punching people really hard in the face. We'll see where it goes from there." - Angel

• RE: Hm by JasonEVines @ 17:56:19 ET on 15 Apr
  • RE: Hm by sliny @ 15:51:18 ET on 15 Apr
    • RE: Hm by Brikar @ 16:07:02 ET on 15 Apr
      • RE: Hm by sliny @ 21:18:09 ET on 15 Apr
      • RE: Hm by Bondo @ 18:30:45 ET on 15 Apr
      • RE: Hm by Xenoclone @ 17:36:37 ET on 15 Apr