Home Home
YOUR ACCOUNT / NEWSLETTERS
Email Password
AIR SCHEDULE
BBS TOPICS
TrekWeb Newsbits: Extra coverage your crave
OPINION POLL
Community Departments Promenade About Us Submit News Make TrekWeb.com your home page!
X2 Director Bryan Singer Talks NEMESIS Cameo and X-MEN 3

PROMENADE

Posted: 17:49:17 on May 04 2003
By: GustavoLeao
Dept: General Genre/SciFi
The latest issue of Cinefantastique magazine features an exclusive interview with X2 director Bryan Singer, in which he talks about his experiences directing the X-MEN, his cameo as an Enterprise-E bridge officer in STAR TREK NEMESIS and his plans for X-MEN 3. Here are some excerpts :

QUESTION : You revealed a bit of your geeky side this past year with your NEMESIS cameo.

SINGER : [Laughs] I spent 12 hours on the Enterprise - the set was on a gimble, shaking all over with explosions going off all day long. It was amazing. At one point, Patrick Stewart walked up to me and said [imitating Stewart's baritome], "Bryan, my turnaround time... I've got to work tomorrow and there are issues..." I just looked to him and said, "You mean you're leaving and I'm still working ?" And he said "Yes. Good night !" [Laughs] I later had dinner at Patrick's house once where he said he had a surprise for me. I thought it would be pictures of me in my Starfleet uniform - which he did have - but we were sitting there having hors d'ouevres, there was a ring at the doorbell. Patrick went to answer it, and William Shatner and his wife walk in ! So I have dinner with Patrick and William Shatner and his wife ! I'm a Trekkie so it was great !

QUESTION : What did you save for X-MEN 3 ?

SINGER : I love Beast as a character, and I'd like to have him in the next movie. He will have to be done with CG, because makeup would just take too much time. I'd also love to do something with the Danger Room, but that didn't work out. We built a pretty big set of it and had some plans for it, but it never fully factored into the story - we builta big section, while the bulk of it would have been created in the computer, but it would have cost $5 million to do this sequence that didn't really have a specific function. I didn't fully see how all of it would completely work - we had ideas and did some animatics, but everything's a [budgetary] battle. On the first film we tried to make a $110 million movie for $75 million. This time we're trying to make a $150 million movie for $120 million. There's always trading going on, and I still feel like I'm making THE USUAL SUSPECTS for $6 million. The day you start saying "We've got room to spare", well, the challenge is over.

The full Q&A session with Singer can be found in the April/May 2003 issue of Cinefantastique magazine, just out in the U.S.

React to this story below and see what others are saying at the STAR TREK BBS.
Join our monthly e-mail newsletter!
TREKWEB TALKBACK
(5 comments)
Sort Controls:
Start New Thread | Help
Picture of Singer on Nemesis
By Three of Nineteen ( ) at 07:19:45 on May 05 2003
URL: | User Info
Decipher actually made Singer a card in the Energize expansion for Star Trek CCG 2nd Edition and even sneaked in some cute Xmen references check the link.
link

[ Reply to This | Parent Comment ]

Well...
By Anslem1701 ( anslem1701@hotmail.com) at 04:44:18 on May 05 2003
URL: http://www.flightinadream.com | User Info
When the hell is Gambit going to come into it...

---

"If we could freeze moments in time, we all would . . ." -- Sheryl Crow, We Do What We Can

x3
By Tad ( bday78@cox.net) at 18:55:33 on May 04 2003
URL: | User Info
there sure as hell better be an x3! the ending of x2 sent shivers running through this fanboy! :)

---

Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! Xander (Buffy vs. Dracula)

• RE: x3 by TREKMAN85 @ 22:22:48 ET on 4 May