Home Home
YOUR ACCOUNT / NEWSLETTERS
Email Password
AIR SCHEDULE
BBS TOPICS
TrekWeb Newsbits: Extra coverage your crave
OPINION POLL
Community Departments Promenade About Us Submit News Make TrekWeb.com your home page!
"First Flight" Delivers Prequel Premise With Thematic Panache, While "Bounty" Comes Up Empty, Says Deus

PROMENADE

Posted: 07:08:22 on May 15 2003
By: Steve Krutzler
Dept: ENTERPRISE Reviews
Reviews Ex Deus

Written by O. Deus, edited by Steve Krutzler

"First Flight" and "Bounty"

Summary: While on a mission with T'Pol Archer recalls the rocky history of the Warp program. Archer is taken by a Tellarite bounty hunter as T'Pol's mating drive kicks in

By airing two ENTERPRISE episodes on the same night UPN has given viewers the chance to compare two different approaches to the show. Both are clearly priority episodes and both have excellent production design and outstanding special effects and are professionally and capably directed by LeVar Burton and Roxann Dawson, respectively. The difference lies in the stories they tell and how they tell them. "First Flight" is a relatively subdued episode mostly told in flashbacks by two people in a shuttlecraft. It features very little action and its entire strength rests on an evocation of the risks and emotional drives of space exploration. "Bounty" by contrast goes to the well yet again by putting Archer in peril and featuring a sexually exploitative storyline for T'Pol with Klingons and a space battle thrown in for anyone who might be losing interest. By the logic of the school of plot development, which STAR TREK has often been accused of subscribing to and says an episode needs to put its main cast members in danger, include some T&A and deliver some action scenes to keep viewer interest, "Bounty" might be considered the better episode. But in actuality "First Flight" is far superior.

After the Columbia shuttle disaster there was talk of how ENT might commemorate the tragedy; intended or not, "First Flight" serves as a valid homage to the sprit that drives space exploration and the costs along the way. For all the solemn grandiloquence of the historical montage that opens every episode, the series has never come as close to the sprit of those discoverers, explorers, aviators and astronauts as it does here. Like VOYAGER's "One Small Step" it offers a look back at the time when the future was made possible but "First Flight" is able to deliver on ENTERPRISE's premise of the Birth of STAR TREK by showing that that time is now.

The series had promised to deliver this but its premise seems to offer just another starship with a slightly more rugged interior and just another crew slightly greener around the edges while substituting friction with the Vulcans for a genuine look at the progression of events between history and the future. "First Flight," though, does what ENT up till now had only tried to accomplish with occasional references to the continuity of Starfleet's warp program by actually showing just how raw and precarious the process that led from first contact to the 23rd century was. Countless episodes have gone back in time but "First Flight" is one of the few that actually orients itself and the series it's part of in time.

Co-written by John Shiban and Chris Black, two of the staff's best writers, and for once an episode not [apparently] originated by Berman and Braga, "First Flight" has Archer piloting a shuttlepod on a mission of exploration even as he ponders and tries to find meaning in the death of a man who was his rival and who helped make him the Captain he is today. With T'Pol along to serve as his confessor, "First Flight," as one of the last episodes of the season turns the tables on one of the first, reversing "Carbon Creek"'s setup by having Archer tell T'Pol a seemingly unbelievable story about the past in flashbacks. It also reverses TNG's "Tapestry," which showed the young Picard as a risk taker by showing the younger Archer as a 'by the book' officer. The flashbacks don't only show a less mature Archer but a less mature Starfleet in the form of Commodore Forrest, who finally gets some character development of his own, as he nervously tries to appease the Vulcans. Trip makes an appearance to show the origins of his relationship with Archer but Trip is just too cartoonish a persona to allow for any character development by the contrast of his past and present selves. The flashbacks also ground Archer's anger against the Vulcans in real complaints by showing that their refusal to fully share technology could have cost lives and how close they came to nearly derailing the entire space program in contrast to his contemporary grudge which has often seemed petty and prejudiced.

The process of the search for nebulae itself by Archer and T'Pol parallels the psychological process in which, even as she uses the shuttlepod's instruments, T'Pol searches out what is bothering Archer and as he fires the charges that illuminate space, he comes to terms with the chain of events that brought him here. He also copes with what no captain has been shown to confront before: the possibility that maybe the best man for the job was the one who wasn't chosen. Kirk's rival Finnegan was so very clearly a bully and a fool. Picard's friends in "Tapestry" were sidekicks like Trip. Anderson though, while at times reckless and unsympathetic, seems a more plausible candidate for the job than Archer does. It's his idea that salvages the warp program and it's the friction of his character that drives Archer to become more reckless and gregarious. And even at the end Archer hasn't entirely let go of his jealousy so that it falls to T'Pol to suggest Anderson as the name for the newly discovered nebula. The nebula's illumination, though, serves as closure for both the scientific and psychological search as Archer finds the drive for exploration that brought him here.

"Bounty" is in its own way an odd sort of episode. On the surface it appears to be designed as the ultimate sweeps episode and to that end it throws in just about everything imaginable to peak viewer interest. In a single episode the captain is kidnapped and threatened with death, T'Pol experiences her mating drive and there's a space battle with Klingons. The only thing the producers seem to have left out are the Borg and they were on last week. But with all that content the actual episode mostly turns out to be a lukewarm story about a Tellarite captain with an unnatural attachment to his impounded ship. The problem might be that the episode is based on yet another Berman and Braga story and that the final script seems to have contributions from five different writers each of whom may have had a different episode in mind. But whatever happened behind the scenes the end result has a Tellarite Bounty Hunter getting more camera time than anyone else as he tells his listless story of woe involving the Klingon department of traffic enforcement and ship impoundment while T'Pol begs Dr. Phlox for sex.

"Bounty"'s premise is a nice touch of continuity in that it follows up on the events of "Judgment" and even bases on an episode around its repercussions. It is good to see ENTERPRISE developing the Klingons as a hostile and expansionistic alien race, as they should be in this time period of TREK, even accounting for this series's warped continuity. If Archer's rescue of the refugees led to the events in "Judgment" open hostilities between Enterprise and a Klingon vessel should have even more serious consequences. And Archer being kidnapped by an alien bounty hunter makes for an interesting premise.

Unfortunately, "Bounty"'s premise does not involve an alien bounty hunter ruthlessly kidnapping Archer. Instead its premise has an alien bounty hunter kidnapping Archer and then complaining about his sad lot in life. On the way to the docking bay Trip reminds Archer that Tellarites are belligerent and aggressive, unfortunately he failed to remind the writers of this since the Tellarites we see are all depressed and whiny. Yes the Bounty Hunter is kidnapping people and taking them off to be disemboweled by the Klingons but that's only because he really wants his ship back. And of course that makes it all right. Any number of people who have had their vehicles impounded by the traffic department probably have the urge to buy a gun and go around the country hunting down people to pay off their fines and could probably sympathize with Skalaar. Unfortunately while Robert O'Reilly is wasted on a minor part, the part of Skalaar is tepidly acted with all the energy of a Prozac medicated Ben Stein. That leeches any remaining momentum out of a storyline whose few twists and turns are borrowed respectively from "Precious Cargo," "Canamar" and "Dawn"; all from this very season.

That leaves us with "Bounty"'s B-story, undoubtedly gleefully thought up by Team B&B, that has T'Pol going into premature Pon Farr. It's ironic that Roxann Dawson directed "Bounty" as she was stuck with the same ridiculous and degrading storyline in VOY's "Blood Fever." The difference is that this time she gets to be on the other side of the camera. John Billingsley has no such luck and even though Phlox has managed to keep his dignity in some pretty bad scenes and some pretty bad dialogues in the past, Billinglessly not only can't redeem the scene but loses Phlox's dignity too. Meanwhile ENT's writers demonstrate that not only can they not keep track of STAR TREK continuity, they can't even keep track of their own, as Dr. Phlox--despite being part of an interspecies medical exchange program and possessing expertise with large numbers of species--doesn't know about Pon Farr while both Hoshi and Trip do. It can be hard to remember now that the original Pon Farr episode was a heartfelt and powerful production written by talented Science Fiction writer Theodore Sturgeon. It wasn't about sleaze, or snickering gags about mating urges but about the power of the bond between two colleauges and friends. It's an episode these writers might do well to review before they touch on the subject again.

To some fans each STAR TREK series creates new low points going lower than any spin-off has gone before. As "First Flight" presents one franchise high point, "Bounty"'s scenes with T'Pol present a new low point. That's a pretty impressive accomplishment for any series to pull off in one night.

Next Week: Hostile aliens probe Earth as Archer looks resolutely into the camera.

ENTERPRISE Doubleheader Polls
Rate the episodes in comparison to the best and the worst of all previous STAR TREK episodes:
"First Flight"
10: Excellent 5: Average
9: Great 4: Below Average
8: Very Good 3: Mediocre
7: Good 2: Poor
6: Above Average 1: Bad
Current Results
"Bounty"
10: Excellent 5: Average
9: Great 4: Below Average
8: Very Good 3: Mediocre
7: Good 2: Poor
6: Above Average 1: Bad
Current Results
About the Author
O. Deus has been a TrekWeb visitor since the site's 1996 inception. Along with being an ardent poster, he is a freelance journalist based in New York City. Deus has written reviews and columns for TrekWeb for over two years.

Past Reviews
  • "First Flight" and "Bounty"
  • "Regeneration"
  • "Cogenitor"
  • "The Breach" (Williams)
  • "Horizon" (Williams)
  • "Judgment"
  • "The Crossing"
  • "Canamar"
  • "Future Tense"
  • "Cease Fire"
  • "Stigma"
  • "Dawn"
  • "The Catwalk"
  • "Precious Cargo"
  • "Vanishing Point"
  • "Singularity"
  • "The Communicator"
  • "The Seventh"
  • React to this story below and see what others are saying at the STAR TREK BBS.
    Join our monthly e-mail newsletter!
    TREKWEB TALKBACK
    (31 comments)
    Sort Controls:
    Start New Thread | Help
    First Flight
    By Corona ( ) at 14:05:50 on May 20 2003
    URL: | User Info
    Maybe I didn't hear it right, but at the end of the ep, didn't T'Pol recommend naming the nebula the "Robinson" nebula instead of Anderson?

Let's roll the videotape.

[ Reply to This | Parent Comment ]

Finally caught "First Flight"
    By BWilliams ( bill@trekweb.com) at 11:46:43 on May 19 2003
    URL: http:// | User Info
    I finally had a chance to see "First Flight" this past weekend, and I must say this:

Now this is more like it! :)

The "Right Stuff" homages of taking risks and perseverance in breaking the warp speed record are a crucial part of the story, and it's nice to see them as critical story elements and not as throwaway gags. A.G.'s determination to break Warp 2.2, followed by Archer breaking that record by reaching 2.5, is a nice tip of the hat to "The Right Stuff" in the pilots' continual breaking of the sound barrier and Chuck Yeager's desire to push the envelope. Even the 602 Club is a nice touch to Pancho's Happy Bottom Riding Club, and I wouldn't mind seeing a reference in later episodes to the effect of the 602 Club being lost in a fire or some calamity, something that affects Archer, Trip, Admiral Forrest, and the other Starfleet jockeys.

That's the kind of attitude that ENTERPRISE needs so much and in abundance to be the series that it can be to reach its fullest potential. And kudos to LeVar Burton and the writing staff for pulling it all together.

Haven't seen "Bounty" in its entirety, only half of the episode, but it's back to standard ENT crap from the looks of it - Archer gets captured again, T'Pol in heat, yada yada yada. Get a real plot! :)

my reviews
    By sebimeyer ( ) at 14:30:44 on May 17 2003
    URL: www.sebimeyer.com | User Info
    I just uploaded my review of first flight to my website at www.sebimeyer.com

you can get straigh to it at
    reviews
    The review of Bounty will follow shortly.

---

My reviews
    By sebimeyer ( ) at 14:26:50 on May 17 2003
    URL: www.sebimeyer.com | User Info
    I just uploaded my review of first flight to my website at www.sebimeyer.com

you can get straigh to it at
    link
    the review of Bounty will follow shortly.

---

1 Good, 1 Ok.
    By Noxmagic ( ) at 23:10:53 on May 16 2003
    Thanks for the always well written reviews Deus. I totally agree with your review on First Flight. I wish I could write something really insightful about it here, but you beat me to it :)
    As for Bounty, well, while I agree to a certain degree with the points you make concerning this episode, I have to say that I did like it at least a little more than you evidently did. I hate to admit that some of the scenes between T'Pol and Phlox actually made me laugh, but it was almost embarressing at times to watch Billingsly (mis-spell?) suffer through some of his scenes as Phlox. I've wanted to see more of this actor since the launch of Ent., but what I saw in Bounty wasn't what I had in mind.

Thanks again, Deus
    By B'Jem ( ) at 01:19:51 on May 16 2003
    I can't tell you how much I enjoy your reviews, Deus. In fact, they're the best thing about the entire Enterprise franchise. If B&B were smart, they'd tap into your considerable talents.

I've skipped the last 6 or so eps, since ENT has been, from its very inception, a monumental disappointment for me. But I may have to catch "First Flight," if for no other reason than your words of high praise.

Again, thanks for continuing to do a great job each week. If only ENT were as consistently good.

---

Make it so.

First Flight Review
    By timmer33 ( ) at 22:35:15 on May 15 2003
    When the idea for ENT surfaced I thought, "Great! We'll get to see the beginning of Starfleet, warp ships, and the Federation. This is great!" But sadly ENT has deviated from that path.

Until now.

FIRST FLIGHT was superb. It showed the beginning of the warp program and shed new light on Archer's and Trip's background. It furthered the friendship between the triumvirate, and managed to develop characters. Fabulous! That's what Trek is all about.

I also loved how this show was basically a tale told by a character and shown to us through flashback. It followed CARBON CREEK's formula. I hope this is something TPTB plan on doing each season, because frankly FIRST FLIGHT and CARBON CREEK were spectacular. I hope we see sequels to both eps; furthermore, I hope we see Trip telling a few stories of his own as well. When you compare the two eps last night - one with action and sex appeal, and one with character development that established a backstory for the characters - we see that the one dealing with characterization was superior. Fancy that. (Are you paying attention B&B?)

The music in FIRST FLIGHT was good ... not great like REGENERATION, but passable. It added to the story and enhanced what was happening on screen.

In short, this ep was far superior to BOUNTY, and one of the best of the year.

Best eps of the season:

1. Regeneration
    2. Carbon Creek
    3. First Flight
    24. A Night in Sickbay

Ha ha, lol. I hope this series follows TNG and DS9 and shows a vast improvement at season 3.

If only TPTB listened to us here at Trekweb. We know what's wrong with the show! I think the changes next year aren't called for ... in fact, it's such a drastic shake-up that perhaps it'll take a season to settle down enough so we'll get new quality episodes. There's nothing wrong with the current format, provided there are excellent stories. To go with such a drastic change is a mistake. I just hope they continue with the formation of the Federation and continue telling the Archer family's backstory.

Anyway, Kudos to Levar Burton and the writers on this ep. Well done. I guess I'll watch next week.

Timmer33

Hmmm.
    By timmer33 ( ) at 19:09:33 on May 15 2003
    Last week I gave a positively GLOWING review of ENT (Regeneration). This week I actually returned to watch an ep. I only saw BOUNTY, and I was disappointed. Firstly, it was the usual run-of-the-mill stuff. I was paying close attention to the music (as I loved Regeneration's score) and it was once again simply a background droning. You could've taken any VOY music and substituted it. I hope B&B realize what a difference music can make in an ep. It really dragged this one down.

This ep was basically the same ol' stuff. A space battle. T'Pol in the decon chamber. A new alien. Same crap from earlier.

Ah, and that brings us to the "new alien." I was excited that the Tellarites were coming back. On TOS they were a surly, angry, bitter and hot-headed species. I liked them. What are they on ENT? Totally opposite. They were reasonable, calm and collected. BAH! Give me a frigging break. Even the makeup was disappointing. The pig-like nose is toned WAY down, and in fact you couldn't even see any pig in them. Sorry guys, but the Tellarite makeup sucked. The hair/beard was the same colour tone as the flesh, and it ruined the whole effect. It was actually difficult to see any detail in the face, and the one Tellarite that appeared on the video screen looked like it had huge gaping holes for eyeballs!

Do you guys watch TOS? Do you know what Tellerites are like?

Bounty was boring. They air this during sweeps?

I didn't see First Flight. I taped it. I'll check it out tonight. If it doesn't deliver, that's it for ENT. I'm through.

Timmer33

Luvin' it.
    By lemmiwinks ( ) at 18:44:03 on May 15 2003
    I fell in love with "Flight" because it was exactly what we've been waiting for. That episode had everything. And I really enjoyed "Bounty," though obviously "Flight" was my favorite out of this whole season. Truly an extremely original story. In "Bounty" I was very pleased with this particular AA (Archer Abduction.) In previous AA's, we always see the little rascal captain getting arrested and thrown into a prison on a strange world. He then manages to recruit the good graces of others that happen to be imprisoned (or are the imprisoners) and then they help each other in their plights for one or both's freedom. All well and good, but getting a little stale. We shouldn't overlook what really good things this episode had going for it. People all over this website have been complaining a lot about the harmony that Klingons and Starfleet seem to have been living in since this series started. We may be watching the very beginnings of the hostilities that brew between the two; Klingons tend to overreact (by human standards) to people trying to escape from them and the first Terran starship captain evading them twice would be enough to piss off quite a few Klingons. I really liked our pseudo-antagonist in this one, his plight was honest and continues to show our bumpy headed friends as being the true imperialistic bullies of the quadrant, as established in "Marauders." T'Pol's sexuality did not at all seem innappropriate... in fact it seems Blalock has been doing her homework, the way the Pon Farr affected her seemed very much in cannon with how it would screw up poor Tuvok. Phlox has always been the most engaging character on the show, and we got to even learn a little about Denobulan sexuality... I fell out of my chair when he was talking about Denobulan men being more timid than the women. Nice character growth for both, especailly when T'Pol got really worked up. I could go on, but I'm at work and need to keep this (kinda) short.

One final thought, though... Since when has a ship to ship space battle become a bad thing for an episode to have? Every time there is one in this series, I'm constantly reading these trashy comments about it (usually from our esteemed reviewer) and I don't understand why. Star Trek takes place on heavily armed starships and while violence isn't always THE answer, it certainly is an answer in many cases. What would Star Wars be without the assault on the Death Star? What would Buffy do if she didn't occasionally have to slay a vampire? Would E.R. still be on the airwaves if there wasn't a deathly ill patient coming through the front door from time to time? How fun would Babylon 5 have been if there wasn't a need to launch a squadron of fighters every once in a while? Yes, character development and storytelling are the very essence of good television/movies, but what drew me to Star Trek in the first place was the fact that they were flying around in this cool spaceship and get into some ship to ship combat. Without the other parts, sure the show would suck, but it would suck too if they didn't fire off a torpedo or two. (Not EVERY episode, of course, but you know what I mean.)

-w

"You want your mommy?"
    -Q, "All good things"

"Bounty" pretty good too
    By Steve Krutzler ( s_krutzler@trekweb.com) at 18:11:44 on May 15 2003
    URL: http://trekweb.com/brittandsteve | User Info
    As for "Bounty," I don't know why everyone has slammed it, I thought it was one of the better Archer-captured/action/adventure romps they've done. Certainly better than "Judgment" I thought. Some have said the T'Pol plot took half the episode but to me it seemed much more marginal and I thought Jordan Lund did a great job with Skalaar. The Tellarite makeup was a little unrecognizeable from where I sat, but I thought the episode was good enough. It managed to give Skalaar some development and even broaden the scope with a visit to the Tellarite station and the planet. The Big E got to kick some ass as well, what's not to like?

I'd like to know where that Klingon ship fits into the Klingon design history books but other than that I found the ep quite entertaining. The music during Archer's breakout sounded particularly TOS-ish and although I suppose we could call T'Pol's behavior exploitive, it's kind of nice to be reminded that she IS an alien after all and not just an arrogant regular character who happenst to have pointed ears.

I'd say ENT finished up with a solid five episode run, that is, if "The Expanse" turns out to rock...

---

-Steve Krutzler
    ==V/-/== Rocks

"First Flight" one of the best
    By Steve Krutzler ( s_krutzler@trekweb.com) at 17:09:35 on May 15 2003
    Just watched "First Flight" and it is truly one of the best ENT episodes to date. Definitely up there with the handful of really good shows that deserve to be with the best of TREK, in my opinion. As Deus points out, the episode really emphasized all the potential that the prequel premise has going for it (didn't you just love that little ship-track launch pad thing? oh yeah!). I think this episode really tapped into the idea of tying the world of STAR TREK to our present day universe. If you wanted to tell someone what ENTERPRISE was all about--or is supposed to be all about--this would be the ep to do it.

I have really no complaints at all. The script was very well written and I appreciate the parallelism with the nebula storyline, showing a bit of sophistication that I enjoy. T'Pol's final remark was touching and the development for Archer was genuine. If anything, I'd say they could've put them in older costumes or made Archer look younger somehow, maybe with a different haircut, but that's just a minor quibble.

I do wonder about Earth at that time, however. Ruby either works for a living in the 602 club or really enjoys being a service person. So the conclusion must be that money or some sort of compensation is still in use and Earth must not have reached its "paradise with unlimited resources and unrestrained imagination for what to do with one's time" yet. I'd be interested in exploring that and seeing more of it on the series.

And, c'mon, couldn't you put some Van Halen on in that bar? ;-) I know jazz isn't the only kind of 20th century music to survive to the 22nd century!

---

-Steve Krutzler
    ==V/-/== Rocks

Bounty
    By Xenoclone ( chris@xenoclone.com) at 16:50:23 on May 15 2003
    URL: http://www.xenoclone.com | User Info
    I must be in the minority or something, but I thought Skalaar was well-played and the episode very entertaining. Why is it every time Archer goes out and kicks some butt, the Archer-bashers forget to complain about him being a wimp? :)

You've got to admit, for a Ponn Farr episode, it at least kept its restraint and offered comedic relief with Phlox/T'Pol.

Both episodes were great, in my opinion. So what if "Bounty" felt similar to other episodes? It did the same idea only better--to me, that implies the others are worse, and that this one is better. Oh well.

"First Flight" was great. Love that NASA feel.

---

"Unless we learn to live together as brothers [and sisters] we will die together as fools." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

Gotta go with Deus
    By Akita1999 ( ) at 14:23:02 on May 15 2003
    Deus is right. "First Flight" delivers beautifully on the premise of "Enterprise." It supports the "less is more" theory I have of "Enterprise." That is, the writers tend to tell really good stories when they write within the confines of the prequel concept.

I didn't really dislike "Bounty" because it was fast-paced. But I didn't really like either. The Archer storyline was okay. The T'Pol story was terrible for the reasons mentioned by Deus. In addition, although Blalock is a good looking woman, her characterization of the sex-starved Vulcan simply wasn't that sexy. I really liked the Tellarites makeup, though. And O'Reilly was great -- that voice brings back memories of when Trek was at its zenith.

Great
    By sky ( ) at 11:21:36 on May 15 2003
    Deus's review of "First Flight" was great. It was truly one of the best ENT eps of this season, if not the series. I thought the whole point of a prequel series was to help "fill in the gaps" between now til the 24th century. ENT has been unsatisfying in this respect since it's the same setup as other Trek shows-- a ship, a crew, a captain and the "forehead aliens of the week." So far, ENT has only raised more questions than it has answered, and "First Flight" is a step in the right direction.

It's also nice on those rare occasions when Trek visits Earth, esp in the period of the series. The 602 Club is very believable as a Starfleet watering hole. Now I can't help wondering whatever became of the place in the time of Kirk or Picard!

It was also nice to see B&B revive the Starfleet rank of Commodore, which we saw in TOS and never since. Even Kirk jumped from Captain to Admiral, suggesting that the rank of Commodore was defunct by ST:TMP.

If B&B would continue to deliver this sort of quality continuity and character development, I'm sure the ratings would improve.

BTW, my young sons and I didn't even stick around for the sleaze ep afterwards. Too bad B&B reverted to type immediately after a great ep.

---

"When I was your age, I didn't watch television! I LIVED! So... move out of your parent's basements!"

-- William Shatner on SNL, 1986

Bounty - No Points of Interest
    By NAFF ( NATHANGSHARP@HOTMAIL.COM) at 09:36:56 on May 15 2003
    Agree with your review, O Deus.

Last week, I didn't. This week, I do. Last week, you felt the need to respond because some of us didn't agree with you over the Borg episode. Don't take it to heart, your reviews are always enjoyable and well written regardless of their conclusions. Keep up the good work!

As for this Wednesday's episodes... sadly I missed the first half of First Flight, but from what I did see it looks like we missed-out on a more interesting choice (for the viewer) as Enterprise Captain.

I did see Bounty... unfortunately. Archer's whining while he was kidnapped was an embarrassment to the rank of Star Trek Captain.

The T'Pol plot was poor - hell, her shirt wasn't even see-through this time!

Even Voyager was never this bad, was it?

First Flight & Pon Farr
    By Cyrus ( ) at 08:07:50 on May 15 2003
    Bounty was an OK episode but I really liked First Flight, one of the best episodes of the season. Keith Carradine was great. I was also honored that the writers of the episode paid tribute to me by mentioning my name in the episode, and it was mentioned 3 times (by Archer, Trip and Ruby). :-)

Dr. Phlox...doesn't know about Pon Farr while both Hoshi and Trip do

I don't believe this is true. In one of the first season episodes T'Pol told Trip about Vulcans mating every seven years but she didn't mention anything about Pon Farr.

Anderson or Robinson?
    By Steve Krutzler ( s_krutzler@trekweb.com) at 08:06:58 on May 15 2003
    Haven't seen it yet but is the rival's name Anderson or Robinson? StarTrek.com lists Robinson as his name but you call him Anderson...?

---

-Steve Krutzler
    ==V/-/== Rocks