Home Home
YOUR ACCOUNT / NEWSLETTERS
Email Password
AIR SCHEDULE
BBS TOPICS
TrekWeb Newsbits: Extra coverage your crave
OPINION POLL
Community Departments Promenade About Us Submit News Make TrekWeb.com your home page!
Rick Berman and Anthony Montgomery Talk Season Three With UK's New Icon Magazine
PROMENADE

Posted: 00:01:00 on August 13 2003
By: Steve Krutzler
Dept: Enterprise | stenterprise.com
Loud Vision Publications has launched a brand new science fiction/genre magazine in the United Kingdom, Icon. The second issue of the publication, now available in the UK, includes interviews with ENTERPRISE producer Rick Berman and actor Anthony Montgomery ('Mayweather') about the upcoming third season of the show. Berman says the new direction won't change the fundamentals of the show's STAR TREK characters.

"We have episodes that are going to deal with planets that have Western-like Humans living on them," Berman told the mag. "We’ve also got stories that deal with the bizarre spatial anomalies that exist within the Expanse. It’s going in a very mysterious and exciting direction. The crew will have been hardened to some degree, but they’re still STAR TREK characters and they’re still on a path that’s going towards the Starfleet people that we know are going to exist in 100 years beyond them. But they’ve got a new mission now and there’s a definite edge to them."

Berman also talks about the miscasting of actress Genevieve Bujold originally as 'Janeway' on VOYAGER. Montgomery, for his part, says the new season will be full of surprises.

"I’m glad that we’re coming into it like this," he says. "Travis is going to exert and exude a lot more confidence over this next season. I have a feeling that they’re going to have him step up into some commanding roles in various situations. That’s not really in the first episode. The first episode picks up a little bit after where we left off from the finale. You get a sense in the opener of the intensity that our ship and crew are about to experience. It’s going to be a lot of fun. Apparently, from what I’ve been told, our show has been under fire for needing to spice things up a little bit. And I think we’re going to capture a lot of people’s attention with the Xindi."

For the full interviews, check out issue #2 of Icon magazine in stores now, or visit their web site for more information.

React to this story below and see what others are saying at the STAR TREK BBS.
Join our monthly e-mail newsletter!

Season Three (2003-2004)
Prod #Title Airdate
153 The Xindi 09/10/03
154 Anomaly 09/17/03
155 Extinction 09/24/03
156 Rajiin 10/01/03
157 Impulse 10/08/03
158 [Sixth Episode] 10/15/03
159 Xindi-Sloth 10/22/03
Season Two (2002-2003)
Season One (2001-2002)
TREKWEB TALKBACK
(6 comments)
Sort Controls:
Start New Thread | Help
Ugh. Don't make me puke
By egervari ( ) at 14:36:20 on August 13 2003
URL: | User Info
"We have episodes that are going to deal with planets that have Western-like Humans living on them," Berman told the mag.

Just like the original series had Nazi's or planets aware of Abraham Lincoln, among all that other crap? Please. Are you trying to make a parallel between cowboy's and archer's style of cowboy diplomacy? Make interesting shows about the characters and things we care about, not about some 'new interesting idea' that's been done and redone. I know this is a sci-fi show, but the focus shouldn’t be on sci-fi, it should be able characters, good and evil, and how they deal with the events. Quite frankly, most of those kinds of 'humans on other planet episodes' are hardly what I call realistic and I think I could only appreciate the TOS one about the Nazi’s. The others were too much to bare.

"We’ve also got stories that deal with the bizarre spatial anomalies that exist within the Expanse. It’s going in a very mysterious and exciting direction.

More anomalies? *sigh*. I don't care. Instead, why not make the entire expanse a myth? Why not spin it so that Vulcans were lying about the contents of the expanse? Why not do something interesting or at least different than setup for more anomalies? I can’t speak for everything, but most people don’t care. I like to think of Star Trek as drama in space. While sci-fi stuff is cool, I care about stories and characters, not anomalies and contrived scenarios.

The crew will have been hardened to some degree, but they’re still STAR TREK characters and they’re still on a path that’s going towards the Starfleet people that we know are going to exist in 100 years beyond them. But they’ve got a new mission now and there’s a definite edge to them."

I still don’t understand this. If earth ever had a "Starfleet" in our own future, it would be run like navy no doubt. Heck, even Nasa is more professional than the Enterprise crew. In our future, “Starfleet” would be a lot more like J.A.G. rather than Enterprise. We wouldn't be learning leadership, discipline, protocol, military strategy, etc. all over again - give me a break Berman. We wouldn't be taking dogs on away teams and messing up every first contact possible just because it’s “funny” or “cool”. If humans did mess it up (and we will no doubt, just like we fail at talking to other countries on our own planet), it wouldn't be because of something like a dog pissing on a tree – it be a lot more meaningful and complicated than that. It wouldn’t be about cheesy failures, but meaningful ones that test our integrity and character. I'm sorry, but these Starfleet people portrayed on Enterprise should have been like the ones in the future right from the start. It doesn't take people in the 23rd century or longer to develop these things. Sun Tzu did it long ago and it's been developing ever since. Hell, it probably goes back to Sun Tzu but I don’t of any.

"I’m glad that we’re coming into it like this," he says. "Travis is going to exert and exude a lot more confidence over this next season. I have a feeling that they’re going to have him step up into some commanding roles in various situations.

Although I'm glad we get to see more of Travis (however, I never understood how the lease used character did more interviews than anyone else from the cast actually), but now Travis is going to be in a commanding role? I'm sorry, but Archer, T'Pol, Trip and Reed would all have to be off the ship in order for Travis to get any command role. Even if this means a small subset of duties, what could he do? Stellar Cartography? Bleh. It’s like seeing Paris or Wesley in a commanding role. I don’t think so.

Apparently, from what I’ve been told, our show has been under fire for needing to spice things up a little bit. And I think we’re going to capture a lot of people’s attention with the Xindi."

Been told? It’s like Mr. Montgomery hasn’t heard of all the criticism in the last 2 years? I guess it might be a good idea to filter out the criticism so you can stay focused and positive, but the criticism about Enterprise is so open and audacious that Travis would have to be voluntarily ignoring it considering how wide-spread it is.

As far as I'm concerned, the Xindi means nothing to me. I don't know them and I don't care about them. They are nameless terrorists. They are meant to temporarily replace the (failed) Suliban rival because they messed that up badly, and it's very obvious.

I don't know why, but I just hate all the new information that gets released about this show.

------

[ Reply | Quote | Parent ]

as opposed to Eastern-like?
By Grason ( ) at 12:52:44 on August 13 2003
URL: | User Info
So, "Western-like." Does this mean non-Oriental, or does this mean chaps and spurs and Nathan Fillion?

------

[ Reply | Quote | Parent ]