Home Home
YOUR ACCOUNT / NEWSLETTERS
Email Password
AIR SCHEDULE
BBS TOPICS
TrekWeb Newsbits: Extra coverage your crave
OPINION POLL
Community Departments Promenade About Us Submit News Make TrekWeb.com your home page!
New Season, New Sound: Sources Say ENT May Scratch "Faith of the Heart" Theme
PROMENADE

Posted: 09:35:54 on September 03 2003
By: Steve Krutzler
Dept: Enterprise | stenterprise.com
Ever since the fifth STAR TREK series debuted two years ago, one of the most contentious points of debate among fans and casual viewers has been the show's theme song. Penned by prolific songwriter Dianne Warren and performed by opera star Russell Watson, "Faith of the Heart" has been lambasted by many fans for injecting pop music into the annals of STAR TREK history.

Fan petitions even sprung up in the months following the premiere of ENTERPRISE expressing displeasure with what many describe as an inappropriate "ballad" at the head of this latest TREK adventure (story), and many preferred music by The Calling used in early UPN promos during the summer of 2001. Producers Rick Berman and Brannon Braga have stood behind their selection, arguing that the song's lyrics blended well with the spirit of the series.

With ENTERPRISE heading in a new direction for season three in an attempt to reclaim ratings deficits, TrekWeb has learned that "Faith of the Heart" may be on the chopping block as well. Details are scant, but sources suggest that when "The Xindi" premieres next Wednesday, the show may at the very least use a new, "more energetic" arrangement of the song.

However, an entirely new piece could be in the works as well. Electronica/rock band Woven was approached to submit a brand new, original theme song for the series, according to a spokesperson for the band reached for comment. Woven's representative told TrekWeb that the band became aware of the opportunity through InterScope Records and that ENTERPRISE's producers received the new song just last week. A decision on whether it will replace "Faith of the Heart" has not yet been made or communicated to the band, but we're told that the new song includes vocals and is not an instrumental composition.

You can learn more about Woven at their official web site, www.wovenmusic.com.

React to this story below and see what others are saying at the STAR TREK BBS.
Join our monthly e-mail newsletter!

Season Three (2003-2004)
Prod #Title Airdate
153 The Xindi 09/10/03
154 Anomaly 09/17/03
155 Extinction 09/24/03
156 Rajiin 10/01/03
157 Impulse 10/08/03
158 Exile 10/15/03
159 The Shipment 10/22/03
160 Twilight 11/05/03
161 North Star 11/12/03
162 Similitude 11/19/03
163 Carpenter Street 11/26/03
Season Two (2002-2003)
Season One (2001-2002)
TREKWEB TALKBACK
(47 comments)
Sort Controls:
Start New Thread | Help
Well, It's Still Faith of the Heart...
By Toroca ( ) at 06:47:27 on September 11 2003
URL: | User Info
...though unless I was imagining things, it's a slightly remixed version of the original theme. *sigh*

[ Reply | Quote | Parent ]

Face it, what is needed is better writing
By M1rth ( ) at 12:24:35 on September 04 2003
Tips to Paramount:

#1 -- fire Braga. Get someone who respects Trek, who actually can give us GOOD writing like TNG and DS9 instead of crap like Voyeur (yeah I know it's technically Voyager, but come on, the only point to watching the last 4 seasons was to see what color tits were on the borg this week).

#2 -- Fire Berman. Same reason.

#3 -- Get some real writers. Bring back DS9 and TNG writers. Stop trying to use the writers who wrote for Voyager, who had NO respect for Trek and got in a hissy-fit when someone told them what they wrote broke continuity. Trek fans LIKE continuity, we RESPECT continuity, and you don't bring in crap-diva-writers who don't give a damn about continuity and expect us to like what they're wanting to shove down our throats.

#4 -- Make sure your actors know their characters. DS9 worked because everyone had fun and loved their characters; the Nagus was only around occasionally because the guy hated being makeupped, but he endured it how many times to give us how many superb, fun episodes?

Voyager's acting plain sucked for this reason; the actors didn't give a damn, they came in, said their lines, that was that. This was especially true for Kate Mulgrew, the worst captain EVER, including all the bit-part captains of ships during TNG time.

Well, that's pretty much it. I know this rant will never get near anybody in Paramount who (a) has the wherewithal, (b) has the brains, and (c) has the power to fix things, but I have to try.

------

To be fair...
By Mr. Hippo ( mr_hippo@eudoramail.com) at 23:25:59 on September 03 2003
... I don't think the criticism was really about using a pop song.

It was about using a God awful pop song which every Trek fan very easily can imagine being sung by Barry Manilow.

Really, Russell Watson or Barry Manilow. Would it had made any difference? I think not.

------

"It's my duty... It's my duty as a complete and utter bastard."
- Rimmer (Timeslides, Red Dwarf)

"Your gangly attempt at being clever has been futile."
- Dieter (Dieter's Dance Party, Sprockets)

Go back to the voice over!
By dinzy ( ) at 22:38:15 on September 03 2003
The voice over would be great at this point. I don't want to hear a trashy rock song but even that should be better than the one they have now.

------

It's not just the theme song...
By SirTrekker ( shauenstein@wi.rr.com) at 21:55:36 on September 03 2003
In my opinion, just about all the music in the TV incarnations of TREK, post-TOS, is bland. The only theme song that ever impressed me was VOYAGER's opening theme. Okay, it was Jerry Goldsmith, but it sounded majestic, sweeping...unlike the actual series.

There needs to be some risk-taking in Enterprise's music, just like there needs to be risk-taking in the writing, the directing, the SFX, and everything else. But, considering Rick Berman and Brannon Braga's record for taking risks, I'll believe it all when I actually see it.

------

Fingers Crossed
By NAFF ( NATHANGSHARP@HOTMAIL.COM) at 20:21:17 on September 03 2003
The laughable 70's cartoon series of Star Trek is better than Enterprise... and that was crap.

It makes me weep watching the Season 4 DVD's of DS9... that's how a good Star Trek show is done (great scripts, characters, acting, vision, continuity). Not the pitiful shite we have been getting these last 2 years.

I do hope all these changes amount to something on Enterprise - and I will be watching in hope - but I fear by Christmas this show will be axed.

------

Composer
By arcane40 ( ) at 19:49:06 on September 03 2003
I'd like to see Danny Elfman take a crack at it.

------

Its bad news all around
By BYG-DAMN ( ) at 18:59:18 on September 03 2003
They could play the sounds of nature and if the show was great nobody would care. I can't stand the current song as it is, and I greatly favored the Calling, but I think the only true song that needs to be there is a full orchestra led by Jerry Goldsmith. When I here the words pops or energetic of whatever, I just know its going to suck for trek. Classical music never goes out of style, putting dated tunes on the show helps to lock it into the era it was created forever.

Go get Johnny Cash.

------

I won't prejudice
By Hbasm ( ) at 17:45:28 on September 03 2003
URL: http://home3.inet.tele.dk/huas/st_enterprise/ENT-page1.htm | User Info
I loved the old theme song! Not the style in general, but the way they chose to merge it with Star Trek. Totally appropiate and wonderful lyrics. Nuff' said.

Who is Voven? What means "more energetic"? This could go very wrong.

------

For you pro-song Trekkies...
By Shaun ( ) at 15:48:42 on September 03 2003
It has to be said that "Faith of the Heart" is, was and always will be terrible. Dianne Warren is a hack songwriter, whose music appeals to middle-aged housewives and no one else (and don't give me that 'ol "Aerosmith's ARMAGEDDON song was number 1!" crap--no self-respecting Aerosmith fan bought that single). And whoever sang "Faith" makes Barry Manilow sound like Johnny Rotten. Bland, cliched and hackneyed... it deserves to be dumped and I for one will be tuning in to see what replaces it... but remember, B&B, if the script stinks, I'll be tuning out just as fast. The visuals during the opening credits were always nice, though...

------

I'm elated!!!
By Deslok ( hammond_ecks@hotmail.com) at 15:13:49 on September 03 2003
URL: www.theastrobar.com | User Info
This is very encouraging! That "Faith of the Heart" song was downright miserable. Judging from what I've seen of the new look of the show and the direction of the story arc, something a little more on the techno side would be loads better.

Perhaps the orchestral theme is more appropriate for the other series as they were about established space exploration. The theme for ENT should reflect danger, mystery, strangeness, adrenaline and technology. Horns and trumpets can't do that. I don't know how Woven sound, but I hope I will very soon. And as someone below said, I agree that Bakula needs to do the voiceover thing.

I hear the sound of dejected fans returning to see what's new with the show. I hope we're all happy with the changes.

One thing is for sure, the rock sound of the 80s and 90s was definitely wrong for ENT. The song by The Calling was better, but still wasn't the right choice of music for a sci-fi series like ENT.

------

Chicken egg foo young is a mother and child reunion.

Sigh
By JT Langdon ( ) at 14:39:42 on September 03 2003
New theme songs, new costumes, new aliens. All we ever hear about are cosmetic changes. Bad writing doesn't get any better with different music during the opening credits; hackneyed dialogue doesn't sound any better if the person saying it is in a different costume; and retelling stories from other Trek series doesn't count as new just because you subsitute one bumpy-headed alien for another.

------

Good choice....
By Faxanadu ( ) at 14:01:23 on September 03 2003
I love the way this is going. I don't think instrumental pieces are needed right now. However, I do believe we should get a voiceover with the whole "Space...the final frontier" in Bakula style.

Seasons 1 and 2 presented us with "Yay, we are finally able to explore space" feel, therefore the opening credits reflected that.

Season 3 is telling us "Well, we are out here now, but have a serious situation and must take action and attack now" feel, therefore electrical rock works hand at hand with that.

Maybe by Season 4 or longer, we will see another change. But thus far, I see nothing wrong, as long as they scrap the opening credits and put more of a "kick" to the new ones.

Also, reducing the length of the opening credits isn't going to help anything. I do believe DS9's credits were the longest in Trek. ENT's credits are only about 1:15, and DS9 were closer to 2:00. So therefore, ENT would have to reduce them to about 15-30 second credits in order to make any everlasting effects, because a couple of seconds off the opening credits isn't going to do much good.

------

Out with the 'new' please!
By Flake ( flaky@ukonline.co.uk) at 10:27:20 on September 03 2003
Forget these goddam rock bands, get Jerry Goldsmith in there - NOW.

Trek is not in the same catagory as Buffy/Angel/Smallville/Dawsons Creek and it never has - stop trying to appeal that sort of 'crowd' because its the wrong one!

Its as if TNG has been erased from their memories.

------