Home Home
YOUR ACCOUNT / NEWSLETTERS
Email Password
AIR SCHEDULE
BBS TOPICS
TrekWeb Newsbits: Extra coverage your crave
OPINION POLL
Community Departments Promenade About Us Submit News Make TrekWeb.com your home page!
Rick Berman Reveals Xindi Arc Tidbits, Plus First MACO Photo in Latest Communicator Update (SPOILERS)
PROMENADE

Posted: 14:18:16 on September 09 2003
By: Steve Krutzler
Dept: Enterprise | stenterprise.com
STAR TREK ENTERPRISE producer and co-creator Rick Berman updates fans in the latest issue of the STAR TREK Communicator (issue #146), which should arrive in subscribers' mailboxes and on newsstands soon. Berman reveals some additional plot details about the potentially season-long Xindi arc and comments on the show's direction.

"In our second episode ['Anomaly'], we are going to introduce the first of what will be more than one mysterious artificial moon," the exec tells the mag. "We don't call them that, but they are huge man-made spheres that are cloaked and emanating some very unusual types of radiation. They are going to play a part in our arc and our hunt for the Xindi weapon."

An integral part of the new, action-oriented direction is the addition of several Military Assault Command Operations soldiers (MACOs). In the photo of Nathan Anderson ('Sgt. Kemper') in a spacesuit, you can see an insignia for the team including a Maco Shark.

"They have different ideas about security issues sometimes, but by and large they are just a group of super high-tech 'kick-ass' soldiers who are here for the course of this mission," Berman says of the characters, which are led by actor Steven Culp and 'Major Hayes'.

But just how long with this mission to find and thwart the Xindi last? DEEP SPACE NINE made a TREK first with long-running serialized arcs. Could ENTERPRISE follow suit this year?

"We don't have the whole season arc worked out," Berman says. "We have a lot of thoughts and directions we want to go and elements that need to be reached and arcs that need to be concluded--but we don't have it all worked out yet [this interview was conducted during the filming of episode three; episode seven began production last week --TW]. As to whether this arc inside the Delphic Expanse is going to last half a season of two-thirds of a season or the whole season, it has yet to be determined. I think there is a good possibility that it will last the entire season."

Berman is quick to avoid placing--or accepting--blame for the show's loss of audience last season.

"We lost a lot of viewers in the second season, and it is no surprise that we are making efforts to bring some of them back," Berman does admit. "This is not a question of something 'not working.' I feel, as does Brannon [Braga], that the show is working. I feel we are turning out very good episodes of STAR TREK. Why a lot of our first-season viewers have stepped away from the show is very difficult. There are a lot of different answers to that. All we can do is try to give the show a new direction and do the best job that we can."

Rick also says that although there have been no discussions with Paramount about the future of the STAR TREK feature film franchise, he has no doubt that it will continue.

"Do I think that NEMESIS was the last STAR TREK movie?" he poses rhetorically. "That is highly doubtful!"

For the complete interview with Berman check out issue #146 of the STAR TREK Communicator. This issue also includes an interview with Robert Picardo ('The Doctor') about his involvement in the upcoming BORG INVASION 4-D attraction at the STAR TREK Experience in Las Vegas, Walter Koenig, Stephen Collins and Catherine Hicks, and much more.
React to this story below and see what others are saying at the STAR TREK BBS.
Join our monthly e-mail newsletter!

Season Three (2003-2004)
Prod #Title Airdate
153 The Xindi 09/10/03
154 Anomaly 09/17/03
155 Extinction 09/24/03
156 Rajiin 10/01/03
157 Impulse 10/08/03
158 Exile 10/15/03
159 Xindi-Sloth 10/22/03
160 Twilight 10/29/03
Season Two (2002-2003)
Season One (2001-2002)
TREKWEB TALKBACK
(13 comments)
Sort Controls:
Start New Thread | Help
Rick Berman Reveals Xindi Arc Tidbits
By Scorned ( Noway@thanksbutno.com) at 02:03:38 on September 10 2003
URL: | User Info
Quote:"We don't have the whole season arc worked out," Berman says. "We have a lot of thoughts and directions we want to go and elements that need to be reached and arcs that need to be concluded--but we don't have it all worked out yet"

Nice of Berman to be so "organized"!

Quote:"As to whether this arc inside the Delphic Expanse is going to last half a season of two-thirds of a season or the whole season, it has yet to be determined. I think there is a good possibility that it will last the entire season."

I get the feeling that this arc is going to get dragged out something fierce.

Quote:"Berman is quick to avoid placing--or accepting--blame for the show's loss of audience last season.

Of course not, the super ego can't allow that.

Quote:"We lost a lot of viewers in the second season, and it is no surprise that we are making efforts to bring some of them back,"

You lost over half.

Quote:"This is not a question of something 'not working.' I feel, as does Brannon [Braga], that the show is working. I feel we are turning out very good episodes of STAR TREK. Why a lot of our first-season viewers have stepped away from the show is very difficult. There are a lot of different answers to that. All we can do is try to give the show a new direction and do the best job that we can."

In otherwords, we are great and don't understand why no one else thinks that we are. It is clear that it wasn't working hence the massive loss of viewers and fans. Living in a world of denial and delusions. Berman is still an idiot.

Quote:"Do I think that NEMESIS was the last STAR TREK movie?" he poses rhetorically. "That is highly doubtful!"

Lets just hope that the next movie has nothing to do with this loser. Otherwise it will be 3 bombs in a row.

[ Reply | Quote | Parent ]

"Mystery Moons" early Dyson spheres?
By mono76 ( ) at 01:31:44 on September 10 2003
I wonder if these tie in with the Dyson Sphere seen in TNG's “Relics”. The Dyson sphere if I remember right encompassed not a moon but an entire habitable orbit of a star. But you have to start somewhere, right. The spheres presence was never really explained nor why it had never been seen before. I don’t think that was really supposed to be the point of the show, just a plot device for letting Scotty and LaForge save the Enterprise. Yet it was presumably abandoned before Scotty crashed on its surface. Lending to it being even pre Kirk era. On top of it all that ep lends credence to the idea that there are vast uncharted, under explored areas of the Alpha quadrant.

At least the MACOs...
By who1 ( ) at 21:09:55 on September 09 2003
are easy on the eyes. Well, this one and Julie Rose, anyway.

The Spheres...
By Flake ( flaky@ukonline.co.uk) at 17:41:55 on September 09 2003
...must ontrol the various regions of the Expanse creating everything from the strange anomalies to the 'shroud' which surrounds the Expanse. My guess is that as the mystery of the Xindi is unraveled these spheres will be destroyed or disabled thus eliminating the Expanse.

Arriving Soon?
By Toroca ( ) at 17:41:50 on September 09 2003
Hey Steve, whaddya mean this issue of the Communicator oughta be arriving soon? I got mine a week ago! *LOL* Your mail being slow or something? *L*

making those finger quotes in the air
By Grason ( ) at 15:47:35 on September 09 2003
In our second episode ['Anomaly'], we are going to introduce the first of what will be more than one mysterious artificial moon," the exec tells the mag. "We don't call them that, but they are huge man-made spheres that are cloaked and emanating some very unusual types of radiation.

I'm thinking of calling them "Death Moons."

The first red-shirts....
By mono76 ( ) at 14:32:38 on September 09 2003
In the image above of the MACO solider it looks as though he is wearing a red uniform, underwear, or jumpsuit underneath the eviromental suit. Maybe these MACO are the future red-shirts.