Home Home
YOUR ACCOUNT / NEWSLETTERS
Email Password
AIR SCHEDULE
BBS TOPICS
TrekWeb Newsbits: Extra coverage your crave
OPINION POLL
Community Departments Promenade About Us Submit News Make TrekWeb.com your home page!
Baseball Playoffs Send ENT Into Overnight "Exile" as Major Markets Tune Out UPN
PROMENADE

Posted: 11:42:57 on October 16 2003
By: Steve Krutzler
Dept: Enterprise | stenterprise.com
The sixth episode of STAR TREK: ENTERPRISE's third season debuted last night on UPN opposite stiff competition from the baseball playoffs on Fox.

The leftovers from baseball meant many shows were preempted for rerun presentations to avoid the onslaught. ENTERPRISE will broadcast a repeat of "The Xindi" next week rather than go up against the World Series.

According to Mediaweek, ENTERPRISE scored a 3.6/5 overnight rating last night, the lowest yet of the season. This is mitigated, however, by the fact that overnight ratings include only major markets, where baseball has more of an impact. Final ratings may not indicate as steep a decline for ENTERPRISE.

Even so, competitor SMALLVILLE on the WB managed to improve that network's performance on the year-ago evening by 38% with a 6.0/9. ENTERPRISE is down 29% on the year-ago night. "Exile" was sixth in the eight o'clock timeslot, contributing to UPN's last-place average of 3.1/4 vs. WB's 5.1/7.

Final ratings will be available soon. For the complete overnight wrap-up, visit this page.
React to this story below and see what others are saying at the STAR TREK BBS.
Join our monthly e-mail newsletter!

Season Three (2003-2004)
Prod #Title Airdate
153 The Xindi 09/10/03
154 Anomaly 09/17/03
155 Extinction 09/24/03
156 Rajiin 10/01/03
157 Impulse 10/08/03
158 Exile 10/15/03
159 The Shipment 10/22/03
160 Twilight 11/05/03
161 North Star 11/12/03
162 Similitude 11/19/03
163 Carpenter Street 11/26/03
Season Two (2002-2003)
Season One (2001-2002)
TREKWEB TALKBACK
(14 comments)
Sort Controls:
Start New Thread | Help
Culture shift
By Xenoclone ( chris@xenoclone.com) at 02:32:35 on October 18 2003
URL: http://www.xenoclone.com | User Info
You know, I remember reading an article on Harry Potter a while back. In it, they had an interview with the webmaster of mugglenet.com. It's interesting how in the past a fan club president might have been interviewed and today it's the webmaster. It's an interesting cultural shift. In theory, the webmaster should be exposed to a wider variety of opinions and have a better idea od fan opinion on a series. Of course, I think there are flaws to the theory but it's interesting anyway.

I get a lot of email from people visiting The Robot Directory who assume I'm an expert in robotics. Lol. I'm just an EE student. Sort of like judging a book by its cover I guess.

[ Reply | Quote | Parent ]

Seems like...
By Rat Boy ( ) at 23:26:32 on October 16 2003
URL: | User Info
...the networks were a little gun-shy around that game. NBC pulled an all-new episode of "The West Wing" at the last minute because of it.

ratings
By Cyrus ( ) at 14:41:00 on October 16 2003
This is mitigated, however, by the fact that overnight ratings include only major markets, where baseball has more of an impact. Final ratings may not indicate as steep a decline for ENTERPRISE.

Not likely in this case. There was a lot of national interest in whether the Cubs could break their curse or not. The fast national ratings show Baseball game doing great nationally and ENT getting around a 2.1 or 2.2 rating (which might end up being its lowest rating ever). The first half hour of ENT was hurt the most (2.0/3 rating) as Baseball was getting its highest rating (17.1/28).

NBC did the wise thing by not wasting new episodes against such a highly anticipated game.

Except...
By rumandchocolate ( ) at 13:31:31 on October 16 2003
Smallville didn't air in this time slot a year ago... so the 38% increase is meaningless, except perhaps as a gauge that Smallville is more watched than Dawson's Creek (or whatever the WB aired last year).

I figured
By HybridStatement ( HybridStatement@ec.rr.Com) at 12:05:50 on October 16 2003
I figured the ratings would drop for this week, again, another UPN screw up, why not show the re-run next week? What a stupid move.