Home Home
YOUR ACCOUNT / NEWSLETTERS
Email Password
AIR SCHEDULE
BBS TOPICS
TrekWeb Newsbits: Extra coverage your crave
OPINION POLL
Community Departments Promenade About Us Submit News Make TrekWeb.com your home page!
Paramount Confirms Arrival of ST:TOS DVD Box Sets On the Horizon
PROMENADE

Posted: 07:39:37 on October 17 2003
By: Steve Krutzler
Dept: General Star Trek
After releasing the original STAR TREK series on a collection of single DVD discs, each containing two of the show's 79 episodes, Paramount Home Entertainment has confirmed that box sets of the one that started it all are on the horizon.

Bill Hunt of The Digital Bits broke the news yesterday, following word that Paramount UK was working on Region 2 TOS box sets.

"I've officially confirmed with Paramount that complete season box sets of STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES are in the planning stages for DVD release here in the States." Hunt writes. "However, you probably shouldn't expect them until after most of the work on the STAR TREK: VOYAGER complete season DVDs is finished. VOYAGER is expected to be released, a season at a time, throughout 2004."

Hunt suggests that TOS box sets may apper as early as late next year, but could be held off until early 2005. The TOS sets will mark the end of the first four STAR TREK series' arrival on DVD. No word on potential special features is yet available.

Read TDB original report here.
React to this story below and see what others are saying at the STAR TREK BBS.
Join our monthly e-mail newsletter!
TREKWEB TALKBACK
(13 comments)
Sort Controls:
Start New Thread | Help
What about TAS???
By KirkofEarth ( rj7259@aol.com) at 11:34:44 on October 18 2003
URL: | User Info
This is all well and good, and perhaps Paramount will bestow upon us a nice collection of updates, features, or what have you. But isn't it about time that they dusted of the 22 episdoes of the Animated Trek and put it on a box set? It would probably only take up three discs, the animation while stiff was drawn with an adult audience in mind, you have most of the eps written by the TOS writers (Fontana, Peepeles, Gerrold, et al), and best of all you have the voices of the original cast for those of us who cherish TOS. C'mon people! Let's rally to the cause here and stop pretending this series never existed! Hell, cheap as it was, it was certainly better written than Voyager and Enterprise. It burns me when people talk about the five series of Trek and conveniently skip over this one. No friends, there were six series of Star Trek, and TAS was better than the last two that B&B have given us.

[ Reply | Quote | Parent ]

features
By Captain Jim ( ) at 00:08:26 on October 18 2003
I hope they include the introductions by Shatner and Nimoy from SciFi's original airing, as well as the other attendant interviews.

well...
By JediFonger ( ) at 22:22:34 on October 17 2003
ya know what's gonna happen? rick berman's fugly ass is gonna get airtime for tos featurettes. but ask yourself... was he ever even a part of that? i think that'll be the end of days. a sign from above.

Good News indeed
By StarFleet Captain ( webknight21@msn.com) at 20:10:50 on October 17 2003
URL: http://www.web-knight.net | User Info
I will wait patiently for these and beg paramount to please update the effects. They have an entire year to do 3 measley seasons. It can't be that hard do.

Paramount, think about it. Why would people, besides the die hard fans with money to spend, buy these swts, when they can see them all on the sci-fi channel, probably have them all on tape, or own all of the 2 episode/disc sets. Please consider the possibilities.

Still have to wait
By Scorned ( Noway@thanksbutno.com) at 12:31:42 on October 17 2003
It is very annonying to have to sit and wait for TOS to be released while seeing VOY come out. It should of been released FIRST. It's about god damn time they say something about it in the first place. The 2 episodes per disc was a stupid double dip campaign by them.

Give me TOS on DVD. The rest can wait.

8 or 9 disc sets
By Daniel ( ) at 10:52:08 on October 17 2003
I think these are going to have to be 8 or 9 disc sets. I've read over and over that more than 3 hours of video and you start seeing quality degradation. So, I think it best for them to try to keep it to 3 episodes per disc. Of course, they don't listen to me.